Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend and i had to yank his 4.3 chevy out of his truck. The exhaust manifold flange nuts looked like they were 50 years old. We tried cutting the nuts off with a torch, but that melted a few studs. We also broke one of the flanges trying to seperate it from the manifld. So then we just cut the exhaust pipe after the flange. It ended up costing $60 at an exhaust shop to replace all the melted and broken studs. Plus, he had to spend another $200 on a new y-pipe and cat.

What are some tricks of the trade to getting these frozen nuts off?

I have read where some people heat them and melt candle wax which gets drawn into the threads.

I don't think any amount of PB Blaster or Seafoam would have done the trick.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Pour tranny fluid on them a few times a day for a few days before you plan on trying to remove them. Also instead of trying to just take them off, use an impact gun and tighten them a little then back them off, tighten and back off. This usually breaks them free. You can also heat the nut and try to keep the stud cool, this will expand the nut and sometimes allow you to loosen it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you have a torch available just heat them up and make sure you have the correct size socket to remove them. If you have to hammer a socket on thats too small thats okay as long as its snug (i.e. using a 13mm on a 1/2" nut).
If that doesn't work, I usually use a cut off wheel and cut a cross into the nut, so that the nut is now in 4 seperate sections and use a chisel or air hammer to know off those 4 pieces. It's surprisingly easy to knock them off once they're cut down into those 4 sections.

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Never yad this issue. Actually I just pulled off my manifold bolts last weekend. and it came off so fast I flung the nut across my garage :)

All the above works as well as getting a just splitter. Not sure if one will fit in the area, but they seem to work pretty good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts