Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1999 5.0 5 speed , no emissions here

Yo guys my exhaust is f'ed from manifold to exit. I keep looking for parts online, but I can't find headers that fit.

Ive searched a couple times a year and have never found anything that is a complete exhaust system.

Does anybody have a link to headers, etc you have bought and had success with?

Do I need a welder? Or does everything just bolt up?

Sorry guys, I have never really built an exhaust system before so do not know what I need

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,547 Posts
You might want to start with telling us what year your bronco is, its engine size, if you live in a smog restricted location, & anything else that might help figure out what would be right for it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Lol I'm sorry, totally spaced that! Original post has been updated. Thanks
Summit Racing has inexpensive house brand shorty headers. There's multiple threads on here with the part numbers.

For the rest of the exhaust, what are you looking for? Stock replacement? If so, Walker makes a stock catted y-pipe, muffler, and tailpipe that bolt directly to the Summit headers or stock exhaust manifolds. You can find the parts on Rock Auto. I think it's ~$600 for the y pipe back including cats. You could likely go to a local exhaust shop and have a "performance" exhaust custom bent for around the same price

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dammit, the 0 is too close to the 9! It's a 1990. And no there is no emissions testing in my county.

My big concern is budget. I want the exhaust to be upgraded from stock, but I don't want a super expensive system. I think I read that 3 inch is the best diameter ?

Thanks for the help, I'll look into what you said

·
Super Moderator
27,423 Posts
Reactions: bsd4083

·
Super Moderator
27,423 Posts
Yo, Part 2

·
Premium Member
1989 Eddie Bauer 5.8, C6, True Trac diffs, 4.56 gears, 4" C&T lift, 130A 3G Alt, 35" Grabber AT2s
661 Posts
Any exhaust system that is not comprised of factory style pipes is going to required bending and possibly welding. 3 inch is not factory. Phoenix is Maricopa county, and they do require emissions. Most exhaust shops can build whatever you want, but price is going to reflect the amount of work and what materials they use. Why are you installing headers and only going 3 inch single? I am still running factory manifolds on mine with a custom true dual layout. What is the end game? If you are in Phoenix, and eliminating the emissions equipment, then is this a planned off-road only unit? Yes, opening up the exhaust can make the vehicle perform a bit better, and aftermarket mufflers make them louder. Where are you going with this truck? I had some exhaust work done in Flagstaff, gut was awesome at what he did. Basically transfer case back on mine. Flowmaster 40 style mufflers. was 600 bucks. Duals, 2 1/2 inch. A good after market y pipe and cat can cost that.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
IM no longer in phoenix. Like I said, there is no emissions testing where I'm at, in la plata county colorado.

As far as why I want headers and a 3 inch single output exhaust ... I really don't know. I'm trying to figure out what would be a decent exhaust system.

All I know is that every aspect of my exhaust is dilapidated and cracked

·
Registered
95 5.8L MAF XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Man hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15, 304K miles
1,139 Posts
Shorty Headers, a good Y-pipe and a 2.5" exhaust with a Straight thru muffler like a Borla ProXS or a MagnaFlow would work just fine with a Stock 5.0. The 3" would just cost more.

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
702 Posts
My Bronco had long tubes when I got it that went into flowmasters & dumps, before the rear axle & it was obnoxiously loud, which the previous owner loved.... Me, & my neighbors, not so much.

I took it to the local mom & pop exhaust shop & had them make a custom 2 1/2" Y pipe off the headers that turned into a 3" pipe as the y came together. It remains 3" all the way back from there. After the Y pipe, its all flanged for easy disassembly if needed, they added a 3" cat & a 3" Walker muffler, then another flange set up for disassembly, & the rear section goes up over the axle & exits as a single 3" outlet in the factory position, and it sounds great, just right, loud & deep but not too loud

You would need headers, flanges, lots of bends, in 2 1/2" & 3" pipe, a cat & a muffler. I paid them $700 & had a 2 day turnaround rather than to do it myself as my welding skills weren't up to that big of a task.

I did ask for a Magnaflow, but got a Walker muffler, and normally would have made surenit got changed to what I asked for, but its such a good mix of deep & loud, yet not annoying that I just let it go.

You may want a bit louder, and can choose a muffler with a bit more sound, but for me, this works just fine. I have loud sidepipes on an C2 Corvette if I want my ears to ring, & I wasnt looking for that kind of racket out of my Bronco.

·
Registered
1995, 5.0, 5 Speed, Manual T Case, Manual Hubs, 3.55, XLT, Flowmaster Y pipe and Cat,
14 Posts
I still have my emissions stuff but here is what I did after the flange on my y pipe broke. ( I still have manifolds but shorty replacement headers should be the same) I went with a flowmaster Y pipe Flowmaster 2020057 Flowmaster Catalytic Converter - Direct Fit - Federal
Incase the link does not work it is # 2020057. Fit nice and just went to one converter. also it steps up if you cut the little swell down off I think to 2.5 " ( I cut the bracket off as well. not sure what it is suppose to go to??) Then a magnaflow muffler ( I think it was part number #12646) Then I dove off the deep end and one of my coworkers had a good tail pipe off a chevy silverado( 99 i think) I cut part of it out and rewelded it back together. ( it was free and i was on a budget plus it was bigger than the stock pipe. I think I have one adapter in it but don't remember where at the moment. It sounds pretty nice now. I did have a little drone on the interstate when it first went together but that has mostly went away.

I also was thinking about trying one of these at the time. they do offer mufflers with some as well at various times.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1995, 5.0, 5 Speed, Manual T Case, Manual Hubs, 3.55, XLT, Flowmaster Y pipe and Cat,
14 Posts
I still have my emissions stuff but here is what I did after the flange on my y pipe broke. ( I still have manifolds but shorty replacement headers should be the same) I went with a flowmaster Y pipe Flowmaster 2020057 Flowmaster Catalytic Converter - Direct Fit - Federal
Incase the link does not work it is # 2020057. Fit nice and just went to one converter. also it steps up if you cut the little swell down off I think to 2.5 " ( I cut the bracket off as well. not sure what it is suppose to go to??) Then a magnaflow muffler ( I think it was part number #12646) Then I dove off the deep end and one of my coworkers had a good tail pipe off a chevy silverado( 99 i think) I cut part of it out and rewelded it back together. ( it was free and i was on a budget plus it was bigger than the stock pipe. I think I have one adapter in it but don't remember where at the moment. It sounds pretty nice now. I did have a little drone on the interstate when it first went together but that has mostly went away.

I also was thinking about trying one of these at the time. they do offer mufflers with some as well at various times.

Hope this helps.

One other thing why I am thinking about it. The y pipe did more for me then the muffler and tail pipe( did y pipe first) when I went larger with the tailpipe and muffler seems like I lost a little bottom end grunt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts