Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
87 XLT

currently running stock exhaust (and pretty much everything else).
Pipes are rusted out, the cat rattles.

I want to go aftermarket cat and mufflers, I wouldnt mind going dual...what is the best set up for mpg, hp, and budget?

Thanks!

·
Registered
731 Posts
You have got to be kidding.

There must be a hundred threads on this.

I will play along, though.

What type of sound are you looking for?

For any real increases in MPG and power, you will need to ditch the stock Y-pipe. After that You will need to have some idea as to the sound you want.

Personally, I would go with a 2 into 1 with 3" piping and a high-flow cat, many on here are running the Bassani Y-pipe and High-Flo cat or just the y-pipe and a cheaper cat. Opinions on mufflers vary.

·
Registered
668 Posts
cut the stock y at the front of the first cat. Install the y-pipe adapter thingy, some bending required. run pipe to muffler or cat and muffler, then have it exit in front of the rear tire. cheap, simple, and illegal in some states. get these from summit : magnaflow or similar 2 1/4 dual into 2.5 or 3 single y $25, two 4 ft 2.5 or 3 inch pipe $15 each, summit turbo racing muffler $17, 90 degree elbow $4, and clamps/adaptors $20 + $16 for shipping. 25+15x2+17+20+4+16+=$112 +-$10 ,add 50 for cat if wanted

·
Roll Tide!
2,691 Posts
cut the stock y at the front of the first cat. Install the y-pipe adapter thingy, some bending required. run pipe to muffler or cat and muffler, then have it exit in front of the rear tire. cheap, simple, and illegal in some states. get these from summit : magnaflow or similar 2 1/4 dual into 2.5 or 3 single y $25, two 4 ft 2.5 or 3 inch pipe $15 each, summit turbo racing muffler $17, 90 degree elbow $4, and clamps/adaptors $20 + $16 for shipping. 25+15x2+17+20+4+16+=$112 +-$10 ,add 50 for cat if wanted
holy mathematics batman! :shocked

:toothless

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,658 Posts
I'm no expert but this is what I've got going at the minute. I failed smog (turns out the cat only had two lttle pieces of guts inside it) so I pulled out the entire exhaust, f'd up muffler, stock Y-pipe and exhaust manis. I then cut out the old cat and installed the Catco 3" one (from Ebay...$50.00 to the door.) I just ran over to Kragen and bought a bunch of adapters, clamps and an 18" long, 3 inch diameter steel flex pipe. Pretty cool stuff. So I re-installed the Y on the cleaned up bolts, studs and manis (no gaskets), then used a 'female' 3" x 3" coupler. Clamped that together then measured the rest of the exhaust. Cut off 4" of the front end of that, hung it from the rear hanger and then slid about 13" of the 3" flex over that and the rear of the cat. Two clamps there and I was good. And a big plus was that the 1/2" I.D. steel pipe from the engnie to the little curved one on the side of the cat (1/2" O.D.) slipped right over it by four inches. Didn't even clamp that one.

Anyways that took an hour or so. No welding, just some accurate measurements and a date with Miss Sawzall. Now all that said I'm right now waiting for my new Dynomax Turbo Muffler to show up. (I only re-installed my old one so as not to piss off my neighbors). The group consensus here was that all of the guts from the old cat are now living in the muffler and resulting in some huge blockage. When it shows up today or tomorrow all I'll have to do is slide off the exhaust from the rear of the cat to the tail pipe, Sawzall out the bad muffy, clamp on two 3" x 2 3/4" adapters and re-hang the thing. I've been taking photos of all this crap and will take more when I finish up, along with the adapter and flex hose part numbers if you want to do this my (cheesy yet inexpensive way)......

Btw, I've got the exact same truck as yours.

Rick

·
Registered
586 Posts
I am running Pacesetter Long Tube Headers into a custom True Dual setup with flomaster series 44 mufflers.....its all 2.5" tubing it sounds great I don't know about HP and Economy gains

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
I am running Pacesetter Long Tube Headers into a custom True Dual setup with flomaster series 44 mufflers.....its all 2.5" tubing it sounds great I don't know about HP and Economy gains
Nobody ever said duals give the kind of performance(torque increase) and economy gains you get with a large efficient single system, like the Bassanis give.

I gained and never lost an additional 3 mpg hwy and city with the uber efficient Y-pipe we built;

and Bassani's seem to gain most users a serious mileage gain too

Sixlitre

·
Registered
668 Posts
If you have the money just do bassani y and 3 inch whatever back. if you dont just fab one up using whatever is cheapest. i tend to go the cheap way, yes my money is always dissapearing.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RickyB: Id like to see your pics if you can get them to me.

six: a 3 mpg gain would be absolutely wonderful...

of course I think duals are cool...but Im actually more interested in MPG and power gain than great sound and look, so ill most likely go single.

Im not in a emmissions area...(but I do sometimes have any environmental conscience)...Im sorta torn on whether to cat or not cat. What are the differences in mpg and power?

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
My opinion: choice of shorty headers -> Bassani Y -> Hooker Aerochamber -> 3" Single pipe.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
six: a 3 mpg gain would be absolutely wonderful...

of course I think duals are cool...but Im actually more interested in MPG and power gain than great sound and look, so ill most likely go single.

Im not in a emmissions area...(but I do sometimes have any environmental conscience)...Im sorta torn on whether to cat or not cat. What are the differences in mpg and power?
Truth be told I got my record mileage through the $55.00 three inch, 3 stage modern Catco cat.

Going the way GT Rider is suggesting is a sure fire method to better mileage and a serious low end torque increase. The real beauty is you don't need the headers to use the Y-pipe, so you can do them later (if at all).

TRH recently went Bassani and the so called "Sixlitre" tune up and he went from 10 mpg to 16.8 mpg with just those two changes.

Whats more he travels most places at 75-80 mph.

Duals are more about top end power and trucks just don't need the gain in the upper rpm range, they need it lower.

If you're after an aggressive sounding truck, just don't include the cat (or use a hollow one like me;)) and you'll have trouble muffling her down quiet enough for your liking.

Spend the big money on the Bassani. After that we've found a way to economize on the tailpipe with Maremont offering a 3" mandrel bent unit for as low as $23.00.

Then you pick any 3" muffler you want and bolt it all up. Like GT says many of us have discovered the Areochamber as a way to have your noise without any drone at cruise (like you know who).

Sixlitre

·
Registered
668 Posts
Truth be told I got my record mileage through the $55.00 three inch, 3 stage modern Catco cat.

Going the way GT Rider is suggesting is a sure fire method to better mileage and a serious low end torque increase. The real beauty is you don't need the headers to use the Y-pipe, so you can do them later (if at all).

TRH recently went Bassani and the so called "Sixlitre" tune up and he went from 10 mpg to 16.8 mpg with just those two changes.

Whats more he travels most places at 75-80 mph.

Duals are more about top end power and trucks just don't need the gain in the upper rpm range, they need it lower.

If you're after an aggressive sounding truck, just don't include the cat (or use a hollow one like me;)) and you'll have trouble muffling her down quiet enough for your liking.

Spend the big money on the Bassani. After that we've found a way to economize on the tailpipe with Maremont offering a 3" mandrel bent unit for as low as $23.00.

Then you pick any 3" muffler you want and bolt it all up. Like GT says many of us have discovered the Areochamber as a way to have your noise without any drone at cruise (like you know who).

Sixlitre
:stupid what he said

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yeah, definitely 112, add 50, yeah, add 50. Dad lets me drive in the driveway...just in the driveway of course.... K-mart sucks...

:rofl:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Yeah, definitely 112, add 50, yeah, add 50. Dad lets me drive in the driveway...just in the driveway of course.... K-mart sucks...

:rofl:
I obviously dont get your humor. Not everyone has emmissions so i left it optional. Not everyone has enough to afford good parts, and wtf does kmart have anything to do with it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts