Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got some sort of weird electrical problem going on w/my 94. First the windshield wipers work sometimes and when they do they're very slow. I can hear the relay clicking.

Second when I turn on the defrost, there is a huge surge in power and it smells like exhaust. Pretty crazy.

My volts are also high and tend to jump around too. Any suggestions? Thanks.

T

·
0 Posts
Wipers sound like the motor going bad a dragging.

The exhaust smell, well does it fog the windshield? if it does you probably need a heater core, or you have an exhaust leak. The air intake is at the base of the windshiled and sucks in any fumes put off under the hood.

Voltage, how far does it move and when. It may read high, then drop when you turn the heater on full blast, or when you hit the brakes, or cycle with the turn signal? that would all be normal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. My heater works great when it's on the "floor or feet" setting. Only when you set the dial to mix or defrost is when things get weird. The drastic loss of power is strange, when I turn on the defrost its almost like stepping on the brakes. Would I still have regular heat if the heater coil was broken?

The volts drop below 12 when I hit the brake and the defroster is on. It used to be aroudn 12 (needle straight down) now it's around 14-16 or so (still in the normal range but to the far right).

What's weird is that sometimes the wipers will go really fast or drag and get stuck or not work at all. Found a new motor really cheap. What I'm wondering is if all these things could be somewhat related or all independent of each other.

Thanks again.

T

·
0 Posts
Okay now we have the info we need.
The reason you lose power, and voltage is low, is because your AC compressor, it cycles when the defroster is on.

Sounds like the power drain is excessive, maybe its going bad. To eliminate or trouble shoot the problem, unplug your AC compressor and see if it clears up.

The wiper motor will be goofy like that.
They are independant problems, and both common.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,424 Posts
:stupid

That's exactly what I was gonna say. That same thing happened to me last winter. I unplugged the a/c compressor and problem was fixed. So I go most of the summer with no a/c thinking I need a new compressor. One day I plug it in just for the hell of it before I go spend a few hundred bucks on a new one and it worked great, go figure that one out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts