Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1981 Ranger XLT 351 with a Y-pipe. It's fine past the cat but then it looks like garbage past that. Trying to figure out a way to run dual exhaust but I was told that the transfer case prevents that. I would like to get a better option or maybe I can just stick with the Y-pipe...has anyone heard this, that you can't run dual exhaust on an 81' ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
well i have a 94 but i dont see there being much difference i have dual exhaust using my stock down pipes then where they go into the cat i just ran tubing into flow master mufflers... i ran one right down the passenger side coming out behind the rear wheel the other i turned the tubing across and over the transfer case and back down the drivers side coming out behind the rear wheel... i do however have 3 inches of body lift ... not sure if that makes it or breaks it going over the transfer case though

·
Registered
256 Posts
if your wanting to cut the y out of the pipe so you can do true Dual exhaust.. I wouldnt do it without adding an X pipe of some sort to keep each bank scavenging. otherwise, keep the single exhaust and just run a straight through muffler. just my opinion.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BroncO Bandit---I like your style, and you're right...it's easier than thinking. I believe I was blinded by rage when I posted that topic. Thanks!

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
Trying to figure out a way to run dual exhaust but I was told that the transfer case prevents that. I would like to get a better option or maybe I can just stick with the Y-pipe...has anyone heard this, that you can't run dual exhaust on an 81' ?
The transfer case is in the way on the drivers side. It can be done but you either run both pipes down the passenger side, or you let the drivers side pipe hang way down below the transfer case.

This is what I did.
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77217&highlight=bassani

·
Registered
309 Posts
If you haven't done a lot of mods to the engine, easiest and cheapest solution would be keep the stock routing and put in a catback system with a good flow muffler.

Next would be finding a performance y-pipe (usually just larger diameter tubing) and matching it to a larger tubing catback.

If you are hell-bent on a dual exhaust, you can definitely squeeze something in there, either with both pipes on one side, or corkscrewed around things to run on the sides. It will take a bit of work and lots of fabbing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts