Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couldn't find any discussion of 460 exhaust systems on 80-86's, so:

My current exhaust system has had it. When I got it a few months back, both mufflers had big holes in them (looked like internal explosions as a result of running WAY too rich at idle - had to turn the idle mix screws in about 5 turns!). The system is a full dual with no crossover, about 2". The driver side downpipe doesn't mate right to the manifold, and would need to be removed and bent to fit (it's hard up against stuff right now, holding it away). So there's lots of leakage there... and at all the other crappy clamped joints. I know my way around a MIG so I'm going to do it myself.

What is the consensus on a dual vs single system on this engine? Who makes downpipes that fit on the stock manifolds (don't want headers - $$, heat, and breaking studs) around the Bronco crossmembers? Crossovers available/recommended? It's carb'd, no cats. Thanks for any tips or pointers!

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Couldn't find any discussion of 460 exhaust systems on 80-86's, so:

My current exhaust system has had it. When I got it a few months back, both mufflers had big holes in them (looked like internal explosions as a result of running WAY too rich at idle - had to turn the idle mix screws in about 5 turns!). The system is a full dual with no crossover, about 2". The driver side downpipe doesn't mate right to the manifold, and would need to be removed and bent to fit (it's hard up against stuff right now, holding it away). So there's lots of leakage there... and at all the other crappy clamped joints. I know my way around a MIG so I'm going to do it myself.

What is the consensus on a dual vs single system on this engine? Who makes downpipes that fit on the stock manifolds (don't want headers - $$, heat, and breaking studs) around the Bronco crossmembers? Crossovers available/recommended? It's carb'd, no cats. Thanks for any tips or pointers!
Get on over here Cweagle

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114224&highlight=s1120+sixlitre

Sixlitre

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent! I hadn't thought of doing the chop-and-rebend trick he's using. Looks good. Now I need to research the various configurations of x-pipes, h-pipes, etc. etc. From what I hear, a 460 really can use a full dual system, but the benefits of joining the two are huge. I could really use any fuel economy gains I can get - somewhere around 8 mpg right now (will do ignition upgrades soon, should help).

So all I am wondering now is what I need to know to get the right flare diameter to mate to the manifold. Is there a standard size or something? I'm new to exhaust work so sorry if this is a dumb question. I assume that the manifolds are the stock 460, I have no idea what year the engine is or what it came out of (the previous owner got it like that, 7 years ago, was no help).

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Excellent! I hadn't thought of doing the chop-and-rebend trick he's using. Looks good. Now I need to research the various configurations of x-pipes, h-pipes, etc. etc. From what I hear, a 460 really can use a full dual system, but the benefits of joining the two are huge. I could really use any fuel economy gains I can get - somewhere around 8 mpg right now (will do ignition upgrades soon, should help).

So all I am wondering now is what I need to know to get the right flare diameter to mate to the manifold. Is there a standard size or something? I'm new to exhaust work so sorry if this is a dumb question. I assume that the manifolds are the stock 460, I have no idea what year the engine is or what it came out of (the previous owner got it like that, 7 years ago, was no help).
Here's what I did;

You can read up on it here;

http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/4970/17318

My head pipes (going into that Flowmaster "Y") were 2 1/4", but I'm a 5.0 litre. Best check the stock Y-pipe or a manifold to see what yours are.

You know about the $23.00 mandrel bent 3" tailpipe from Maremont ?

Sixlitre

1 - 4 of 4 Posts