Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know of all the exhaust questions goin around, but this ones different! i have these 2 big-ass 4" chrome tips in the back, and was wonderin what kinda sound i would get out of it if i just cut them off and rerouted the pipe to dump out the side? would it be louder, quieter, better sounding, worse, what?! thanks a lot - kenny

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i get your point, but im with gator on this one? is it because of the diameter of the tips? i thought it would be louder since it dumps off right after the muffler instead of going that extra 3 or 4 feet (winding too...) hmm..... :shrug

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
The 90 degree bend out towards the side will kill the sound alot more then slight bends avoiding the rear axle and such.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
again, use the megaphone idea... it's longer on your face, but when you pull it away, ,are you any louder than when you had the megaphone on your face? Nope. The 8-14" a tip is won't make much noticable difference in the exhaust, other than doing away with the megaphone effect

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
davids78bronco said:
again, use the megaphone idea... it's longer on your face, but when you pull it away, ,are you any louder than when you had the megaphone on your face? Nope. The 8-14" a tip is won't make much noticable difference in the exhaust, other than doing away with the megaphone effect
alright, im sorry, but i have no ******* clue what you mean by that! :banghead :brownbag

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no, i dont want to take away any sound, if anything, i want it to be louder... but besides that, those big-arse chrome tips are fugly ass hell, and i wanted some kind of side-exit exhaust goin...

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
EAXCTLY! i was stretchin it the other day, and got a tip full of mud and grass :twak ... i was thinkin possibly out the side between the tire and the side steps, no harm there......... :shrug plus i HATE chrome!

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
borrow a torch, cut out two holes in your rear bumper, and end it an inch past that. The straighter you can run the exhaust, the louder it'll be. As squatty pointed out, any bends will cut down the noise. If you can keep the bends to within 15º, then you won't have any flow restrictions. IOW, keep your exhaust as straight out the back as you can

but then you have to deal with the exhaust blowing in an open rear window while you're driving

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah, true... well, thanks for your help... i'll let yall know how it goes! :thumbup

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,532 Posts
i got tired of bashing mine into rocks so i cut it off the other day. I cut it right where it turns to go under the leaf spring. it did get louder after i cut it

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dustin said:
i got tired of bashing mine into rocks so i cut it off the other day. I cut it right where it turns to go under the leaf spring. it did get louder after i cut it
how was the setup that you cut off?

as for making my exhaust up to 2.5" or 3", is there some sort of connector that goes from the stock size to the bigger one (meaning a piping style.) or would an exhaust shop just do all that?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts