Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after reading about things to do to my bko to get it some better mpg and power i decided to go and get an estimate about exhaust. I told the guy i want a new y pipe and high flow cat and then out on the passenger side infront of the rear tire. He look at me like i was stupid for wanting a better y pipe and high flow cat. He seemed to think i should run true dual all the way back then out tto the side, he siad it would get mroe power too...from what i've heard true duals arent supposed to be that great are they? but it would be more exspensive to do the new ypipe and high flow cat. My question is which of the two, ypipe and high flow cat or true duals would get better mpg and power.
thanks in advance

p.s. sry bout my last post the "what a shame" thread, big mistake i wont make excuse just let it die, thanx
 

·
green ones make me horny
Joined
·
11,155 Posts
Mr.Jenkins said:
after reading about things to do to my bko to get it some better mpg and power i decided to go and get an estimate about exhaust. I told the guy i want a new y pipe and high flow cat and then out on the passenger side infront of the rear tire. He look at me like i was stupid for wanting a better y pipe and high flow cat. He seemed to think i should run true dual all the way back then out tto the side, he siad it would get mroe power too...from what i've heard true duals arent supposed to be that great are they? but it would be more exspensive to do the new ypipe and high flow cat. My question is which of the two, ypipe and high flow cat or true duals would get better mpg and power.
thanks in advance

p.s. sry bout my last post the "what a shame" thread, big mistake i wont make excuse just let it die, thanx
there is no reputable exhaust shop in florida that will run true dueals for you. it is illegal for a shop to do that. stick with what you want shouldnt cost nop more than 400
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
635 Posts
don't forget to look into K&N possibly a larger throttle body. I have not priced a TB lately, but K&N is relatively cheap.

I might suggest to trying several exhaust guys. with a sotkc sus on a bko, true duels is not always the best way for preformance. There seem to be several guys here (me included) that run a y pipe hi flow cats and then a single to dual. I have mine dump behind the tires. I don't get any exhaust in the cab unless the top is off.

Have you looked into gibson at all or one of the other clamp on exhausts? I have not tried them, but I need to replace my cats and have no welder available, so I think the saw and clamps is going to be the future for me bko.
 

·
aka: kemicalburns
Joined
·
7,825 Posts
were did you go midas?
 

·
The Anti Yam!
Joined
·
22,680 Posts
rugerp89ipsc said:
I don't get any exhaust in the cab unless the top is off.
Thats aerodynamicaly imposable.

For duals to work like they are intended you need a properly placed crossover pipe. "Y" or "X".
Otherwise a single system will work better.

imlikeojnow said:
there is no reputable exhaust shop in florida that will run true dueals for you. it is illegal for a shop to do that.
Why?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
443 Posts
I just replaced my exhaust last week....

took second unit off, ..{it was a cat unit}...replaced w/ straight pipe...

then used 3" pipe to a new muffler, .......[magnaflow part#12258, single 3" in and duals out}.....

then ran duals from the magnaflow to behind the rear tires and out the side at an angle....very good sound ....actually quite at idle and then a low rumble as you accelerate...sounds simulare to the exhaust on a mustang gt....
 

·
green ones make me horny
Joined
·
11,155 Posts
fvck i dont know why but that is what every shop is telling me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i went to mad hatter, i've heard they were good but after what the guy was sayin it doesnt make me wanna do there. but i was like with an x or h pipe right and he was just like run straigh off the exhaust manifold to the back. i dont really want that but he said it would be alot cheaper. anyone know some good reputable places down here also?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
443 Posts
those y pipes should be made of stainless and will probably last a long time, maybe longer than your truck, under normal driving conditions.....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
635 Posts
Gacknar said:
Thats aerodynamicaly imposable.

For duals to work like they are intended you need a properly placed crossover pipe. "Y" or "X".
Otherwise a single system will work better.


Why?
Not if you are sitting at a stop light.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah i know they will last but from what i;'ve read on here especially from sixlitre was they and the cats are a huge bottleneck which helped him alot with mpg and performance
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
443 Posts
yea, it would help in air flow.....mpg.....performance....those 6 ltr engines will go forever......better mpg, insurance is probably cheaper also...wear it out and put a v8 in it.....
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
443 Posts
oh...sorry....ok.....

it will do the same for a v8 as a 6 ltr....I think I get about 13 mpg out of my 351 and I drive pretty hard......it has awsume torque......haven't check gas mileage after the new exhaust system I put on....
 

·
The Anti Yam!
Joined
·
22,680 Posts
imlikeojnow said:
fvck i dont know why but that is what every shop is telling me.
I think they are wrong.

rugerp89ipsc said:
Not if you are sitting at a stop light.
You must be doing somthing special then becouse I'v had my exhaust ran every witch way you can imagine (turn downs, out the side behind the tires, out the back, even just pipe that ended behind the cat) and I never got fumes in the cab with the top of.

Hell it could sit and idle for 45 minuts with the top off and still never get fumes in the bed or cab.
 

·
green ones make me horny
Joined
·
11,155 Posts
Gacknar said:
I think they are wrong.

well then i will tell them that. when i call them again and they say that they can not do that i will say Gack says you are wrong....:goodfinge

i think they think i am talking about cutting off cats.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,011 Posts
They are probably the same as Wisconsin, you can't put true duals on a Bronco here either. The law says that if the vehicle came stock with two exhuast pipes coming together and then you have the cat, it has to stay that way even if you would put a cat on both pipes. But, if the vehicle came with two pipes with cats on, and then after the cats they join together, then you can install true duals.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
635 Posts
topfisherman said:
They are probably the same as Wisconsin, you can't put true duals on a Bronco here either. The law says that if the vehicle came stock with two exhuast pipes coming together and then you have the cat, it has to stay that way even if you would put a cat on both pipes. But, if the vehicle came with two pipes with cats on, and then after the cats they join together, then you can install true duals.

Really? I am in WI now and I have never seen a state that had such crap ass run down cars driving around. Seems like people here drive whatever and 1 out of 10 people still have mufflers left.


I would check pricing on summit. Seems decent. Not sure if anyone here has a better online source.
 
1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Top