Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so its time for my mom to get a different vehicle (she's had the same one for 11 years now)

and my father really really wants to get this expedition for her
http://www.southeasttexas.com/autos/detail.cfm?id=462804

but she doesn't want something that big, and she would rather have my bronco haha

i'm kinda tempted to take them up on it but even though i've only had my bronco since last thanksgiving i've grown so attached to it..

what would you guys do? trade for the expy or stick with the bronco?

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
broncos suck ass, give it your mom and rock that expi

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it is a 4x4 expedition btw and old enough to still have the 8.8 in the rear.. you know, before that IRS crap

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,518 Posts
Expeditions with the live axle have the 9.5" ring gear, with rear disc brakes. Make sure it has Trac-lok and ABS.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Expeditions with the live axle have the 9.5" ring gear, with rear disc brakes. Make sure it has Trac-lok and ABS.
Thought yer choices were 8.8 (4.6 non HD towing package) or 10.25 (5.4 HD towing package)...

Do you want newer? Shinier, in theory less quirkier?

Wife found an Expedition her for 3k, 4x4 high highway miles, 1997 truck, 240k... I would rather she have a C-150, but for the same money, hard to beat a newer rig.

I personally don't like the way they drive, I could acclimate, but down to the choice of Ex or Tahoe/Bourbon, Chebby would win.

Ex or Bronco? come down to whether 3rd row seating was a gotta have, and if I could live with never removing the roof....

Bronco would win. Fricking topless year round, yes in 20 degree and less weather, if the sun is out.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I think its overpriced. They are a dime-a dozen here. Make sure you get the 5.4. I had a 98 w/ the 4.6 and it lacked power and mileage. It barely could pull my quad. Be careful if you do happen to buy a 4.6, they're known to have sticky lifters that will cause a tick/slight knock sound. My expedition had it and I also had a 99 F150 w/ the 4.6 that developed it shortly after 100k miles.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
If your towing you'd want the 9.75 diff but you don't need it. My father's 99 Expedition XLT 4.6 w/ 8.8 3.55 Open had 212,000 miles on it when he traded it for a flex. Truck ran great and drove damn good for the mileage. Only issue was a water pump and he put about 3k into it for preventitive maint. It was a great truck..I liked it a lot. The expy is newer too..

·
si vis pacem, para bellum
3,511 Posts
id avoid one with the air ride suspension. its nice but if it goes out its expensive. id keep the BKO or get the expo and buy another bko

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,518 Posts
If your towing you'd want the 9.75 diff but you don't need it. My father's 99 Expedition XLT 4.6 w/ 8.8 3.55 Open had 212,000 miles on it when he traded it for a flex. Truck ran great and drove damn good for the mileage. Only issue was a water pump and he put about 3k into it for preventitive maint. It was a great truck..I liked it a lot. The expy is newer too..
Now, you see? Preventive maintenance is far cheaper than corrective maintenance. That amount alone pays for repairing/rebuilding a poorly-maintained trans and front suspension. Also, as mentioned above, stay away from the air ride. It's a royal PITA as well as expensive.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Trade the Bronco for the Expe.

Sell the Expe.

Go buy 2 more Broncos. :thumbup

·
penis
3,318 Posts
Air ride isn't that bad I have dealt with them they mainly fail because people overload the shit out of them and blow the bags or overload the compressor.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ex or Bronco? come down to whether 3rd row seating was a gotta have, and if I could live with never removing the roof....

Bronco would win. Fricking topless year round, yes in 20 degree and less weather, if the sun is out.
actually i don't even have the back seat in my bronco haha

but i don't take the top off either, we don't have a garage and it would be a pita to store that thing

i guess the ex would be less squeaky and creaky...but i really don't enjoy wrenching on those mod engines. and the way they are mounted in that body style makes it hard to get to things

·
penis
3,318 Posts
was air ride an option for the older expy's? even the 4x4s?
97 and 98 I am unsure of but 1999 (late first gen expy. didas an option) they are nice require little work to keep up with, Ford used the navigator setup in the rear personally if it was me I would take a navi but that is me.
But thing to check out for when looking at the expy with airride is going to be a sagging rear end, hissing noise (all air rides leak) look for a check suspension light inside, the bags are an easy replacement job, look for excessive dry rot on the boots soapy water can be your friend here.
Here is the check procedure
1. Key on (do not need to start)
2. Listen for the compressor (whuzzing noise)
3. see if the rear lifts up if it does good but time it 3 minutes will send a check suspension code
4. after the compressor turns off get some soap water spray the lines at the compressor and the bags if no leaks are found and the compressor doesn't time out your good to roll.
The bags will leak down over time it is normal so just cause you see one at a lot or someone's house or a lot ask them when the last time it was driven. If it wsa in the last 3 days something is wrong with the air ride. If I remember corectly the eddie bauer got them standard but I really haven't looked. Yes they weere availible for the 4 bys as well.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
was air ride an option for the older expy's? even the 4x4s?
I have a 97 2wd expy with airride...i did have a 97 4wd it didnt have air ride, and what they said earlier about the engines is true, my 4wd had the 4.6, the one i have now has the 5.4 and theres a world of difference on the power, especially on takeoff. I really like my expedition, its nice to have all the creature comforts and shiny's for a DD, but I also still have my bronco, I wasnt in the position to have to choose. If i were you, I'd keep the bronco, a running bronco just in decent shape is harder to find and will cost you way more than a 97-99 expedition.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts