Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at the junkyard the other day and seen that the expedition rear disks are much bigger then the explorer disks i have now. Just wondering if the caliper mounts will bolt to my 8.8 like the explorers did. Not that im not happy with the explorer brakes i have now, but bigger is better. I know the disk will have to be redrilled for the proper bolt pattern, no big deal and i already run 17" rims. Just thought i would ask here before i spend a day at the yard pulling two rears apart to find out for myself.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
The backing plate bolt pattern/caliper mount is not the same as on a Bronco.
Even though that Expedition has an 8.8 rear they changed the bolt patterns after 96

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
You will still have to redrill the explorer rotors as they are 5 on 4.5 and the bronco is 5 on 5.5.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got my backing plates from a 97 explorer sport. The center bore on the disks had to be opened up as well. Also had to 45 my axle shafts to get them to sit flush with the face, i belive this only has to be done with some disks. Mine are duralasts from auto zone. While your at the yard grab calipers for cores. They cost me $5 each at the yard and were $27 each new with a $35 core charge.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Think im gunna pull a side off of each and see how far off they are. Maybe i can redrill the backing plates or add some metal to my 8.8 and drill that to fit the plates. I just have to see, im sure i can make this work some way some how.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Think im gunna pull a side off of each and see how far off they are. Maybe i can redrill the backing plates or add some metal to my 8.8 and drill that to fit the plates. I just have to see, im sure i can make this work some way some how.
I can tell you the bolts on the backing plate on the expedition are further apart.
There is always a way to make it work!
If you do decide to tackle this do a write up on it

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have seen plates machined to bolt to the stock axle and then studs through it to match the new bolt pattern. Just a thought. Ill try to find a pic

1 - 15 of 15 Posts