Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off i have never ridden a motorcycle before..(not counting the mini-scooter i had when those were super popular :haha)

i want to get something that is fun, not too too concerned about highway travel (i'm a lil scared of that ha) and easy to ride.

it needs to be somewhat cheap and light i guess..

what would yall suggest for a new rider? i like this suzuki here but i don't know dick about motorcycles lol

http://suzukicycles.com/Product Lines/Cycles/Products/DR-Z400/2009/DRZ400S.aspx?category=dualsport

·
Registered
598 Posts
I've owned a KLR650 for about 12,000 miles and like it. It was pretty bullet proof, but it is not light.

My next bike, which I'll hopefully be picking up in Spring, will be a Yamaha WR250. The come in a "R" version for off-road bias or an "X" version of on-road bias. They have 6 speeds, EFI, and more travel than most. The Kawasaki KLX250 looks nice, but doesn't have as much power, no EFI and isn't as refined as the WR250.

I would get the Yamaha or the Kawi before the Suzuki in the 250 class. The 400 isn't bad, but it's a lot heavier than the 250s, and I've seen first hand a stock WR250X out pace a Suzuki 400 on a road track and the same thing on a dirt track. Didn't know the riders, so that could have been the difference, but at the least they are capable.

-

·
Registered
598 Posts
Power wise, the KLR650 would be fine. It isn't anywhere near as powerful as a 600 sportbike. The bike is however very heavy and tall. You need to sit on one and make sure you can handle the seat height. Overall it's a nice bike, but it is a compromise. It's not good on the road because of it's low power and shaky one cylinder engine, and it's not good in the dirt because of it's weight. My personal opinion would be to get the WR250 because it's almost as fast, and is about half the weight. That means that it's only a little worse on the road for long distances, but much better on the twisty turns and in the dirt. Go sit on a couple though and see how you like them.

-

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I started on a cheap chinese 200. 1200 brand new. it was a shineray. Cheap enough to get used to dual sports and to see if you like it.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I know the Yamaha WR250 does. I'm 6' 210lbs and I was flying... Can't speak about many others though. If you're going daul sport more for looks, than think of something bigger. If your going to be taking it off-road a lot, then look hard at the 250.

-

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is the 250's wont be alot of power. They will pull 65 but idk if any more. I say go cheap first then get bigger if you like it.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
I see KLR650's up here all the time in the $2200 to $4000 range with under 10,000 mi. You can get a lowering kit for them if height is an issue.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I see KLR650's up here all the time in the $2200 to $4000 range with under 10,000 mi. You can get a lowering kit for them if height is an issue.
i don't think height would be an issue, it's the power i'm more worried about

·
Registered
22 Posts
The power on MOST dual sports is very "flat" in other words its not feeling like its trying to come out from you when your accelerating . So that leaves the biggest issue... which bike is going to be the most dependable / cheepest to own ... hands down Yamaha . I have been riding dual sports or "enduros" as they used to be called since 1976 . Of all the different bikes Ive had the Yamahas were the most dependable and handled the best too IMHO. My fav. is the 500 cc , it has enough power to go down the road and not feel like your straining the engine like most 250s do , the 600 are to tall . Good luck !

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
I wouldn't worry about power most people that buy the smaller cc bike are power hungry in less time than they imagine you'll be a whole lot happier if you buy a bike that will let you get out and run instead of getting one that won't pass it's own shadow on the road. If you spend more time off-road than on get a smaller cc bike ecspecially if you get into tight areas a lot. I I would prefer a Kawasaki or a Honda but thats me and I wouldn't own a 500cc or less and ride it on the road interstate or not.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts