Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When previously upgrading to Stainless Steel Flexible Brake Lines, it has always been easy due to the availability of vehicle specific brake line kits. These new SS Flexible Brake Lines simply replaced the existing rubber flexible brake lines. Two for the front discs and one for the rear, which attaches at the Vent/Hydraulic Line Tee to the hard hydraulic lines controlling each drum.

I am now awaiting a new 9" rear end with 1995-2001 Explorer Disc Brakes. I will need to gut the old hard line hydraulic system used with the 8.8 rear drum brakes and then, due to the new Explorer Disc Brake Calipers, I will need to put together a flexible hydraulic brake line system.

As this is new to me, I am making a pre-design and have been confused by required adapters and custom brake lines. I need an expert to confirm my plan or recommend any changes that I do not readily see. This may seem simple to some, but it is confusing to a first timer. :shocked

Any assistance would be appreciated. Maybe this can also assist someone else down the road.

Passenger Side From Explorer Disc Brake Caliper

3/8"-24 (Male) to -3AN (Male) Adapter (Picture Link)
(In place of 3/8"-24 Banjo Bolt)

12" Long Pre-Assembled SS Brake Hose w/-3AN (Female) Hose Ends (Picture Link)

-3AN (Male) to 3/8"-24 (Female) Inverted Flare Female Tube Adapter (Picture Link)

Secured with Weld-On Brake Line Mounting Tab & Retaining Clip (Picture Link)

Stainless Steel 3/16" Hydraulic Line with 3/8"-24 (Male) Inverted Flare Fittings (Picture Link)
(Double Flared)

To Vent/Hydraulic Line Tee on Axle Tube

Driver Side From Explorer Disc Brake Caliper

3/8"-24 (Male) to -3AN (Male) Adapter (Picture Link)
(In place of 3/8"-24 Banjo Bolt)

14" Long Pre-Assembled SS Brake Hose w/-3AN (Female) Hose Ends (Picture Link)

-3AN (Male) to 3/8"-24 (Male) Adapter (Picture Link)

Directly to Vent/Hydraulic Line Tee on Axle Tube

Main Flexible Rear Brake Line

Use existing SS Flexible Brake Line and Vent/Hydraulic Line Tee to Axle Tube

Here is what I would like to end up with:

Crazed 9" Axle Swap

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Crazed!!! Yours is the standard that I am attempting to achieve. :notworthy

Which DOT Approved Flex Lines did you use? ProComp? The lines appear to different in your first photo compared to the final install.

Was 14" Flex Line enough for the Driver Side Caliper to the block? I do not want too much excess, but still want enough for the caliper to operate freely and not bind.

No crush rings or teflon teflon tape used with any adapters?

If you had to do yours again, what would you have done differently?

:scratchhe

By the way, I am also going with the 1350 Yoke, 5/8" spring u-bolts and Lokar Parking Brake adapter. I stayed at stock 65.25" width and stock housing center.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to say but if i had to do it again i would go with a D60 rear just so be full float and 8 lug for the bigger brakes. These explorer brakes arent sure about my 37's lol.

no teflon tape used at all on the install and I havent seen any leaks yet.

I'll measure the lines I ended up with and post up for ya.
I really would have liked to upgrade to Baer or Wilwood Performance Disc Brakes, but I want to stay with my 15x10 wheels.

20 years ago, before I even received my Bronco from the factory, I purchased 1 piece hot forged 6061-T6 aluminum Alcoa Classics for $200.00 each. They are still in great shape, having been recently professionally polished, and I can't bare to get rid of them.

So, I am limited with the 11" Explorer Disc Brakes, but they should do well with my 33" tires.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts