Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am striking out on 351 around my neighborhood, or even 3 states around me, that have less than 120k. Only a couple of 4x4 1996 at 65k for 1200$

I can find all day long a explorer p code engines or non p's with 57k and with the parts conversion on engine still be under 1000$.

How much better would the explorer engine be compaired to my 5.0 with 165k. or even a 302 short or long block with explorer heads?

I am not wanting to involve a machine shop or really even a long block 351. Buying a long block then trying to find all the parts puts it out of budget.

This is my DD, not much off road but I do pull a 20' bass boat. My engine is leaking/burning oil and it is very tired even after tune ups.

·
Premium Member
4,529 Posts
As long as there are no engine issues with the explore engine, you should beable to just drop it in and go. only thing that would be a issue is the intake. put the old intake from your old engine and you can run right away. you can also leave the explore intake but you would have to do some intake piping to make it work. I think the firing order might be different from the explore and the bronco motor.

·
Registered
25 Posts
if you think your 302 is old and tired, I dont think youll find the 4.6 v8 explorer engine to be up to the task of pulling this 20' boat in a bronco... dont know why you would want a smaller displacement engine in a truck used for towing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
He's most likely looking at another 302 out of an explorer :twak

I think but am not sure that the explorer 302's could use the HO/351 firing order. Intake might be different (upper at least) but the rest should work for you.

Mileage is negligible, it all depends on maintenance.

Scott

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
if you think your 302 is old and tired, I dont think youll find the 4.6 v8 explorer engine to be up to the task of pulling this 20' boat in a bronco... dont know why you would want a smaller displacement engine in a truck used for towing.
fwiw: I 've pulled boats with the 4.6L powered F150 just fine. the engine has more torque than any stock 302 FSB model of any year .

Back too the 5.0L 302 explorer, we have hundreds in the JYs around here, probably the complete engine could be had for 400 dollars or less. It should be a drop in replace, just use your FSB items and you have to contend to the H.O firing order.

Also keep in mind, the timing cover would be the late 5.0L variety, and the oilpan is 100% explorer and the P heads would require a new header/manifold for the exhaust. Outside of this the engine is very similar to our FSB.

I have the complete explorer head/intake on my FSB.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep 302 to 302, thanks. I may be wrong but I thought after 94/mass air, mine is 95 mas air, all 302 had 302 HO/351 FO. I do know that the explorer has coil packs not distributor.

But I believe I had read where some have used the stock cam with 1.7 RR with no problems due to it being a roller cam motor. Thanks fellas

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just FYI, the firing order goes to the cam, not the displacement. Explorer cams and 5.0 HO cams are 351w firing order. It makes no difference to the truck which firing order is running.

Your TB and MAF will be on the oposite side with the Explorer intake, the front dress is probably different, you get a 4g alternator, the basic longblock is the same though. Drop your current dizzy in and go.

An Explorer engine with an E cam is good for about 250 rwhp in a Mustang.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts