Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read about 50 or so threads about different exhaust setups, and I've pretty much narrowed it down to 2 options, unless I get a better idea out of this thread. My muffler and tailpipe are shot, and I'm pretty sure my secondary catalytic converter has at least a partial blockage.

Option 1-Cut off muffler and tailpipe, take a steel rod and a hammer and beat the living sh!t out of the internals of the secondary converter, then get a new muffler and tailpipe.

Option 2-Remove everything, a friend of mine has an exhaust shop, have him make me 2 headpipes, and install 2 universal converters and mufflers, and be done with it.

I'm leaning toward option #2.

Any opinions? HaHaHa of course there are....let's have 'em!

·
Registered
636 Posts
I'm happy with having only one converter and one muffler. I feel the dual pipes are just more to tear up/ get in the way while you're working on the beast. Many people with dual pipes have rear exits, which if you like to have the back window down, isn't good. Full dual exhaust isn't really neccessary on an engine that isn't widly built up. Lots of experience and some of my opinion.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
Bassani Y -> Hooker Aerochamber -> 3" Single tailpipe

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bassani Y -> Hooker Aerochamber -> 3" Single tailpipe=way too much money
Edited again.

I can get a whole exhaust system made for the price of the Bassani Y-pipe.

·
Roll Tide!
2,691 Posts
just take everything from the manifolds and back off. HELL YEH!!! jk but seriously, i cut off my second cat and am running a cat-back dual system and it got a GREAT sound but ive felt a bit of a power loss from it. unless your cats are just trashed id keep them on or replace them with a high flow cat and run a flowmaster or whatever.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
You said you didnt want Bassani, so thats tough because alot of folks on here recommend it, and to me aswell. I just finished getting all my exhuast done, besides a header leak, but I decided on the Bassani, catco hi flo cat, flowmaster super 44 and had a shop run a tailpipe out the back, all 3".

I am VERY pleased with the sound and power and mileage I got from it. HUGE noticeable diffrence, the 3" really opend up this new motor i put in as well.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Edited again.

I can get a whole exhaust system made for the price of the Bassani Y-pipe.
If your guy is that good, spend $40.00 and take him one of these;

and get him to make you your own custom Y-pipe;

Summit claims 40 ft/lbs of torque on a 396. I don't drive Chevs, but I did pick up a boatload of torque with that and 3 mpg city or hwy (that never went away).

After the Y- you can add a cat (or not) and any muffler you want, and either of the two available mandrel bent tailpipes ($23.00).

Building that pipe off your manifolds should be child's play for your guy as it's only two 90s on one pipe and 115 degree bend on the passenger's pipe.

Print off pics from my Supermotors page to show him what you want. Duals lose out to a larger single on both torque production and mileage.....every time on trucks and seriously screw with your ground clearance.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sixlitre, that's a set-up I can get behind! What is the source for the tailpipes you mentioned, are they available from Summit as well??

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Sixlitre, that's a set-up I can get behind! What is the source for the tailpipes you mentioned, are they available from Summit as well??
Here's the tailpipe thread for you;

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73684&highlight=mandrel+bent+tailpipe+sixlitre

I think the record price for the Maremont 3" mandrel bent (single) tailpipe is $23.00 . The Dynomax 2 1/2" mandrel bent pipe is about double that, but requires ZERO mods to make it fit.

My Supermotors pages (Bronco AND particularly Lincoln) have some detailed pics and captions for you, or search for s1120's excellent write up here;

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114224&highlight=s1120+sixlitre+Y-pipe

I ain't knocking Bassani, but using that Flowmaster Y-connector makes REAL torque and mileage increases possible for everyone.

I didn't invent that pipe. A guy (now on here) with the handle WD-40 sent me pics of his and I took em' into my pipe bending buddy and the pics put us on the same page immediately.

I just gathered up all the weird bits and flanges (BIG believer in header flanges between things for removeability) and came back to him and we bent it up in no time flat.

UBER better ground clearance, with my cat fully above the crossmember, and much better routing than stock.

Backed her out of the garage and she busted the wheels loose going into second (on dry pavement:shocked), and it had never done that before.

Huge difference in acceleration and mileage too. Save the duals for the Mustang. There's no room under our trucks for em' and they only help HP higher up in the rpm range, not low end torque, like we need.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
If your guy is that good, spend $40.00 and take him one of these;

...............or if he is even better, give him a square of 14 gauge sheet and have him make one of these...

Even though I could buy one, sometimes I gotta appreciate making my own for next to nothing. Except for the collector flange of course. Thats not needed, but you'll be VERY thankful you put it on there when you need to drop the front of back half of the system.

Oh yeah, I'd go with option #2

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've pretty much decided to go with the "make your own Y-pipe" approach, I was looking at the summit website, and they offer the mandrel bent tubing in 3 3/8 inch radius and 4 1/2 inch radius for 2 1/4 tubing. Which one should I order?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts