Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Man of endless projects
9,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
can i take the PCM to the dealer separately? I heard most dealers wont do it but I guess its worth a try. im still wiring up the truck and don't have the data port wired up yet so taking the truck there is out of question

I guess if I have to I can do the Tweecer. I don't know much about it. is it something that rewrites the PCM or do I have to leave it installed? when I do my stroker build in the future ill probably need to tune it too so this may be good to do

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
You leave it installed. The unit can be upgraded later to something you can program or have tweecer do a driveway tune based on your strokers specs. You would have to send the unit back to tweecer.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Is there a particular reason you need the '98 PCM? The '96 (and maybe '97) don't use PATS. Could be a direct swap. I have a '96 5.0 Explorer PCM in my garage I picked up at the local Pick 'n Pull. They are really easy to pull given where they are located in the engine bay (as compared to the big Broncos).

·
Man of endless projects
9,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there a particular reason you need the '98 PCM? The '96 (and maybe '97) don't use PATS. Could be a direct swap. I have a '96 5.0 Explorer PCM in my garage I picked up at the local Pick 'n Pull. They are really easy to pull given where they are located in the engine bay (as compared to the big Broncos).
the fact I have 2 of them already and there's quite abit of wiring differences between the years of Explorers. you willing to sell the 96? ill have to look at the wiring between the 98 and 96 first tho

·
Man of endless projects
9,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
went to dealer. they wont disable it. they said id have to bring truck to them to match everything. but I left out the detail that this is a complicated motor swap and not actually a explorer

·
Registered
522 Posts
the fact I have 2 of them already and there's quite abit of wiring differences between the years of Explorers. you willing to sell the 96? ill have to look at the wiring between the 98 and 96 first tho
You can have the '96 if you can use it. Check out the pinouts and if it works, let me know. It's just sitting on my bench and I am pretty sure I will never use it. For the cost of it, I'll take the Karma rather than money, but make sure the wiring will work.

Baxter

·
Registered
522 Posts
The pinouts are close enough that I would give it a try. PM me your address and I will send you the computer.

You say at the top of the thread you know nothing about tuning and I assume you are not going to be tuning this PCM. Are you actually dropping an Explorer engine into a Bronco? If not, you will need the Explorer Mass Air, injectors, cam sensor and EDIS. If you have those parts, I guess the PCM word work right without a tune.

Let us know how it goes.

Baxter

·
Man of endless projects
9,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im dropped a 98 Explorer 5.0 and 4R70W into a 90 F250 and im converting the rest of the truck to accept it. got about half way wired up. I modified the instrument cluster to have a PSOM, added an OD off button and im gonna use a pair of long tube headers to clear the spark plugs of the GT40P heads. its coming along but where im working on the truck at is really hard to do any wiring cause im away from electric to soldier and away from my computer with my EVTMs

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/26713/83640

·
Man of endless projects
9,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so just an update. i haven't had much time working on it lately but have been making some progress had about 3/4 of wiring done with the rest being stupid stuff like the Evap system. today i finally got the fuel lines connected. it was still barebones with no cooling system setup, half sensors disconnected, MAF sensor unplugged, no fluid in tranny but i just had to try firing it up and see if it would. sure enough first try it did fire up and ran for abit. ran really rough as expected but it does run. my motivation in the truck has been restored!

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
Ha Ha I may actually get my 351w going then.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,512 Posts
For some reason, your problem with the PATS reminded me of an older Mustang build with a late-model Mustang drivetrain; the thing I was interested in is that they didn't disable the PATS, they had bought something that bypassed the PATS. Maybe 'bypassed' isn't the right word. Basically, the device automatically toggles the PATS to allow engine operation. But I can't remember when and where I saw the article.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts