Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. This is a little different then the usual question. 1995 F-150 with TTB

I have a 6" Tuff country lift with the extended radius arms. I think this pushed the new radius arm mount back 15". Now I want to do a SAS with a 79 D44. The stock arms just go straight back to where a stock radius arm bracket would be. But I am wondering how I could modify the stock arms so that they could bolt up to my now relocated Tuff Country radius arm bracket? I know I could make the stock arm longer but then I have to bent it somehow so it follows the frame rail and bolts to the bracket with the bushing I would use. I wanted to avoid using the Duff arms so I can save money on the build.

Any sujestions or pics would be very helpfull. If this has be disscussed then I am sorry. I did a search and came across some stuff but no real answers for what I am doing or want to do.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Ok. This is a little different then the usual question. 1995 F-150 with TTB

I have a 6" Tuff country lift with the extended radius arms. I think this pushed the new radius arm mount back 15". Now I want to do a SAS with a 79 D44. The stock arms just go straight back to where a stock radius arm bracket would be. But I am wondering how I could modify the stock arms so that they could bolt up to my now relocated Tuff Country radius arm bracket? I know I could make the stock arm longer but then I have to bent it somehow so it follows the frame rail and bolts to the bracket with the bushing I would use. I wanted to avoid using the Duff arms so I can save money on the build.

Any sujestions or pics would be very helpfull. If this has be disscussed then I am sorry. I did a search and came across some stuff but no real answers for what I am doing or want to do.
without extending the stock arms, there is no way to make them reach further back along the frame......

·
Registered
101 Posts
yes there is. I have seen people build extended radius arms that follow the frame rail. There is a build on here that someone did that. Ill try to find it.

·
Registered
805 Posts
yes there is. I have seen people build extended radius arms that follow the frame rail. There is a build on here that someone did that. Ill try to find it.
Well, you could build completely custom ones...

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
it can be done. look under my name for posts started by me, i have a thread in which i talk about doing exactly what you are wanting to do. there's pics there to show it can be done. now the bad side, just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done. i've talked to a few 4x4 shops that build custom rigs and a few guys on here that all agree its not a good idea. as to why, i've never really gotten a 100% solid answer, some people say that you're welding a new mount on a piece not designed for it....well the same thing happens when you extend stock arms. others say that the ttb radius arms aren't designed for the torsional loads that the solid axle arms see.....well you can plate and gusset that too. i was quoted an extra $800 to weld new ends to my current extended radius arms. all in all i'm decided to go with bronco bob radius arms for the 79 d44. his come with corrected caster for either 4" lift or 6" lift and use the original design and come with a warranty. if you have any questions let me know.
edit-the name of my thread is ttb arms for sas

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys. I will search in your threads Lifeizhard. I just figure that if I can use what I got then perfect. I like to try and make things work. I was thinking of a 2x2 solid stock or even some solid round stock that I could thread into the stock radius arms. Then bend to follow the frame, cut to fit. Then weld the whole thing together. I think Stonecrusher has something like that.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. I saw the thread. What do the Bronco Bob arms look like? Ok. I see the Bob ones. I think they may be a better idea than the Stonecrusher ones. The Stone crusher extenders seem to just add 10" to the stock arms but i think it is to put a 78-79 D44 in a EB and still match up to the radius arm brackets after they have been relocated.

GIJOE, where would I get parts to build off the c halves?

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
You need to post this in the noobie thread. :twak
All you are talking about doing is boxing and extending the factory arms. This has been done MANY times. Just search for any SAS with the word "budget" in it. Foxbravo recently did a swap using Bronco Bob arms. Check out his thread if you want pics.

I will give you this advice, if I could only splurge on one part of my SAS, it would be on a good set of Radius Arms. :thumbup

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I looked up extending radius arms and there was no info on what I was looking for. Thats why I asked. I don't want to box the arms but extend them properly with the proper bends for tire clearance and proper positioning on the frame with my mounts from Tuff Country. Then I don't have to redo my trans cross member...I hope.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like it might just be easier to buy the Duff long arm kit for the 78-9 Bronco's.

Now I need to know what size lift springs I need to keep the 6" lift. The TTB tuff country ones have already sagged alot. My truck was level and now it is nosed down. From what I read, some 6" lift springs will give you close to 8" or more lift. I don't mind that, just means I will have to do something in the rear. I already have a 4" block and 2" helper lift spring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts