Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
1995 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
226 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Ford Bronco, beefed up 351w, JBG HD rear springs, JBG 4” coil, 10.25 rear posi, Dana 44 posi
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
It's more about your rims backspacing
Ok. I’ve got 4.5” of backspacing. Would the curve in the radius arms adapt for that?

·
Premium Member
1995 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
226 Posts
Ok. I’ve got 4.5” of backspacing. Would the curve in the radius arms adapt for that?
I'm thinking you'd be fine with that backspacing.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I got mine from bloody knuckle garage previously cage. If I go leaf spring I will sell the arms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1987 Ford Bronco, beefed up 351w, JBG HD rear springs, JBG 4” coil, 10.25 rear posi, Dana 44 posi
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I'm thinking you'd be fine with that backspacing.
K cause the whole reason I’m getting the radius arms is because I don’t want to run wheel spacers. Should I still use my radius arm drop brackets when I install them?

·
Registered
851 Posts
The 4” Superlift with long arms clears 33’s per their website. See tire and wheel info here:Superlift Suspension Lift Kit
The 6” clears 35’s. The difference being spring length and which hole you use in the drop bracket for the axle pivot.
Both of those kits probably use the exact same radius arm.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
The 4” Superlift with long arms clears 33’s per their website. See tire and wheel info here:Superlift Suspension Lift Kit
The 6” clears 35’s. The difference being spring length and which hole you use in the drop bracket for the axle pivot.
It may also involve adjusting the steering stops to eliminate rubbing. I had to replace my steering stops with slightly longer bolts to stop the rubbing. I'm running Dick Cepek/BDS radius arms.

·
Registered
851 Posts
What makes the second one worth $200 more?

Are those two smaller brackets it comes with, supposed to replace the stock frame brackets that the cheaper arms plug into? Is that + the heavy-duty webbing the only reason for the extra $200?

$350:

$560:

·
Registered
851 Posts

Are those two smaller brackets it comes with, supposed to replace the stock frame brackets that the cheaper arms plug into? Is that + the heavy-duty webbing the only reason for the extra $200?
Did I just answer my own question?

Edit:
And I just realized the second ones are BDS radial arms.
Though the drop brackets might be different than what comes with the OEM BDS radial arm kit.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts

$350:
View attachment 171974

$560:
View attachment 171973
It looks like you have to use and most likely relocate your stock radius arm brackets with the $350 kit and the BDS kit comes with new (beefier) radius arm brackets.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,551 Posts
Those are nice arms. Very well made. Good hiems. And nice brackets.

·
Registered
851 Posts
This guy brings up a great point for anyone using the Bronco primarily on-road.
One other nice aspect of the DIYs is a spherical bearing aka "heim" joint. DIY permits the possibility of incorporating these instead of rubber/urethane bushings. Hiem joints will cause no binding, allowing maximum travel.....but because it is a metal to metal bearing, hiem joints will also transmit the full force of every bump from even the tiniest of pebbles straight to the frame.
So the hiem joint radial arms like the Threat I posted above, can be fantastic for off-road.
But might be annoying for a primarily on-road vehicle.

On the flip side, the urethane bushing radial arms may limit travel compared to hiem and will certainly wear out faster. Or you can go with rubber bushings which have more "give" to them than urethanes and then of course, wear out faster than anything other options.

i forgot who said:
Also check your suspension and rear leaf spring bushings. Often times, when people instal lift kits (or have them installed) they will put in polyurethane bushings on the radius arms, sway bars, shocks, springs etc. Urethane sounds "really kuul" and "high tech" and it is great for maintaining suspension geometry but urethane = REALLY BAD for suspension flexebilty/travel. That same stiffness that maintains correct suspension geometry limits travel. If you have urethane bushings, and you want more suspension travel, then get rid of the urethane and go back to stock rubber bushings.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The Superlift description of the 4" and 6" lifts (K385/K388), along with the instructions, show that the stock RA brackets are reused and just mounted 18" further back on the frame. Not sure whose bracket Topher's picture shows unless Superlift has changed the design of the Bronco lifts.

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Superlift has the extended arms which utilize the stock brackets, but they are relocated further back on the frame.
Superlift also has a lift with no extended arms and that is what those drop brackets are for: to reuse the stock radius arms.
The Superlift 4" and 6" lift use the same center brackets and the same arms.
JBG's extended arms are Superlift. If you look closely you will see a big "S" cut into the gusset of each arm.
I have two trucks with extended arms.
My 93 F150 currently has the 1994 version of the 4" Rancho extended arm lift. It has worked alright over the years, way more travel and much smoother articulation than stock but the shortfall is the straight design of the arms. At full lock, especially if stuffing a tire, the tires (33x12.5x15 tires on 15x10" 3.75 b/s) will rub the arm and that is just a minor issue.

My 1995 Bronco has the (4") Superlift extended arms installed about a year ago. Way nicer than the early Ranchos I have. They are longer arms than the Ranchos. The stock bracket gets remounted rearward several more inches than the Ranchos are and the tire center line seems to be located a little further forward than the Ranchos do. They also bend inwards for tire clearance when turning. 33.12.5 on 15x10 - 3.75 back spacing DO NOT rub at lock.
I noticed that the tire sits a little further forward only because I ended up needing to slightly round off the lower edge of the front bumper where it returns into wheel well. That wasn't needed on the Ranchos I have.
Superlift sells direct too and offers free shipping but they will likely hold your order until they have several to fill. Might be best to order from Summit or other retailer that has it in stock and ready to ship. YMMV.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
In the end I went with the superlift and installed them Monday. It was a pretty big pain but doable. They also look very cool, did not clear my passenger front tire though. I am guessing I have to adjust the stop bolt, it said something about it I’m the instructions. They seem to be high quality and have nice welds. Pivot drop brackets are the same quality. And if you get these from JBG then it’s hard to beat in my opinion.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts