Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
9,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did this back in the first half of july, but i thought id post it up since its an alternative to buying lowering shackles. Wasnt sure to post this up here or the Fabrication section, up to the mods where they want it.

Step one, get a pair of stock shackles! I got a used pair in excellent condition from Justin's bronco way back in april :thumbup
(insert a pic of a pair of stock shackles here)

Then you need to cut four pieces of steel. In my case, they are 6 1/4" long, by 1 5/8" wide. This will work for extending them 2", if ya want longer just add another inch, altho i dont think id go any longer. Made out of 1/8" plate, so when done the shackle will be 1/4" thick like the F450 shackles.

Next up, drill the hole for the bolt. The hole is 9/16", and to make it as close to stock as possible, i centered it, and set it 25/32" from the end.
You also need to cut off one corner. The angle isnt crucial, you could just grind that spot to fit later on if you want. In my case, it was laid out like this: mark the short side at 1", and the long side at 1½", and cut the corner off. This proved to be not enough and i had to grind it to match the shackle, but id rather have to grind some off, then to have it too short. Anyways, cut an angle.

Then i duplicated the original radius of the stock shackle, altho after i was done, i decided that having it round looked better

Next up you need four of these. I made em 2¼" x 1 5/8". the shape of the radius is unimportant, so just cut a rough one and go, ill explain later

Now, take your plates, make sure the new bolt hole is 2" away from the original one, and weld it to the shackle. You can weld it to the flat 'ear', and then once thats fully welded, hammer the other end over till it touches the body of the shackle. Then just clamp it and weld it up.
I tacked the plate to the shackle via the original bolt hole, to hold it in place, and then once the sides were fully welded, filled in the original hole and ground smooth so youd never know it was there.

Now those little tabs come into play. Place them here, and grind the rough radius till they fit. In my case i had tacked the end of the original ear to the new plate, so i had to grind a notch to fit around that. The plan here is to fill that whole seam in with weld, and grind till it disappears. Obviously every edge has been bevelled so i can have as much weld as possible left over after the welds are ground smooth.

Next up is a plate to help keep the ears from bending. Technically, since its been extended 2" you should only need a plate 2" long, but a 2¼" one will fit, so thats what i cut it to. 2¼" x 3½" specifically. I ground the two corners a little bit to get it to fit in there nice. I also bolted the shackle to the spring pack and then tacked the plate to the shackle, to ensure that the ears wouldnt end up too spread apart, or too tight after i welded this piece in

After a bunch of welding, here's the mostly finished product. Beef!

i did some finish welding, and then painted and installed

The shackle angle was horrible! So i moved em to the rear hole, and all is good :thumbup

And since i know youre gonna ask.......i did this because i moved the front spring hangar 3" backwards, installed new non-bent mainleafs, and removed my 2" AAL to get be back to stock springs. This also means that now both brackets have been moved on my frame, so you cant use these pics as a reference for shackle angle. Also of note is, while the pics dont always show, every joint was beveled prior to welding to ensure that after they were ground id still have plenty of weld left over holding everything together.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
How much lift did the longer shackle add? It looks like the shackle angle is much improved

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
So you say your running a stock leaf pack now, is that 5 leaves (counting the overload)? Looks like you have a zero rate in there too. What would you say your total lift is (if its not too impossible to tell at this point)?

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
9,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I cant say for sure on the lift because like a dumbass i forgot to measure lift before i ripped it apart.

These are effectively the stock springs for my truck. i changed only the mainleafs (they were bent), and ditched my AAL, so that gets you this

Heres a pic of what started this project, just imagine it without that thick AAL in there, and thats my spring pack

4 leafs plus that little overload, if you even want to call it an overload. 5 total. I am still running my zero rate because i was afraid the rear would sit low since the front has ~8" of lift. And it does sit low, so id say the 'new' shackle flip with the stock springs is ~6", plus the 1" zero rate, getting me roughly an inch low in the rear now. If you were to get me a measurement to the bottom of the frame @ the bumper (plus actual measured tire height) i could compare to mine and tell you how tall it is.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Cool thanks for the info. Im trying to decide what to do with my rear suspension to get it to match the front. I was running stock springs with a shackle flip and I loved the ride and flex, now a have an AAL in and dont like it so much.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Rept's starting post:

"Extended Shackles

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did this back in the first half of july, but i thought id post it up since its an alternative to buying lowering shackles. Wasnt sure to post this up here or the Fabrication section, up to the mods where they want it."

for those of us non-shackle flippers this post could also be titled "how to lower your lift".:goodfinge:toothless

I'd guess you should have gotten about 1" lift Kevin.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
9,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was running stock springs with a shackle flip and I loved the ride and flex, now a have an AAL in and dont like it so much.
Yeah the AAL worked good with the TTB, but ive never been happy with the rear suspension post-SAS, it was just too stiff. I didnt ramp it on anything on the last 4wheelin trip, but it did feel very smooth, like the rear was actually working so long term i think its going to perform well.

I'd guess you should have gotten about 1" lift Kevin.
Ive always read that extending a shackle by 2" adds 1" of lift, and that seems to be about what i got from it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts