Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
8,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got of work later than I wanted this morning, but I still mangaged to get alot done on my exterior.

Here's what my bko looked like, about 4 months ago:

You can see my f*cked up door and fender in this one:banghead

Here's what it looked like at 10 AM this morning:

I took the spare tire carrier off a few days ago, so I got the chance to try some bondo for the first time, to fill in the holes.

Plus I finally pulled the dent out, that the spare carrier caused:thumbup

Got the top pulled off, and I went crazy with the sander:

I scuffed up the front bumper, put some self etching primer down, and then coated it once with some rustoleum. I messed up a few spots, so I'll have to fix them tomorrow, and then throw on another coat or 2.

Then, I got everything coated in rust bullet.

:chili: :chili: :chili: :chili: :chili: :chili: :chili: :chili: :chili: :chili: :chili: :chili: :chili:

I'm rediculously tired, but all-in-all it's been a pretty productive day.

I still have an assload of work to do.

I wanna get the grill, and the trim around the headlights/corner lights painted, and the rear bumper.

I'll be getting up, as soon as the sun comes up, and get started with the 600 grit sandpaper. There are plenty of spots that need to be smoothed out, but I should be able to get the first coat of paint on, later in the day. Coats 2 and 3 are gonna be a bit harder to come by. The rest of the week is supposed to be shitty weather.:banghead :banghead

·
Registered
8,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MikE2 said:
looks like you did a pretty good job with those dents. I would have left that step out

If the dents were caused by something cool, like slamming against a tree or rock, I would have left them, but all the dents I had(there were a few more)were pathetic, and had no fun stories behind them. I wanted to start with a clean slate.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
derrick36 said:
If the dents were caused by something cool, like slamming against a tree or rock, I would have left them, but all the dents I had(there were a few more)were pathetic, and had no fun stories behind them. I wanted to start with a clean slate.
Better off fixed then.
Real battle damege you don't fix

Unless your a pansy :goodfinge

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
damn you got an ass load done today. That is looking really good. What did you sand it with. I am gonna need to get started on mine this summer if it ever gets to be decent around here and besides reading a few threads (ie the rattle can one just a few hours ago along with others), I am brand spankin new to body work. what did you do to pull the dent out? IIRC, you just swaped doors? that right? And lastly, are you going to go straight black?

Saturday night and full of questions, sorry. Damn I wasted my day. I need to get started on that damn visor I bought my girl, but the only place i have to work is in her art studio on campus, which is so filthy, I think I am gonna have to mock up and build a mini spray booth to get it done well this summer.

Good job amigo. Looks sharp. More pics tomorrow I hope.:rockon

·
Premium Member
635 Posts

sorry, random question, but is your cargo light upside down? if it isn't, mine is :toothless. On my 90, the button was on the bottom and the light/lense aboce. I just pulled it and painted it black to go along with my girl's whole red/blk thing. just curious.

one more question, how must rust bullet did the exterior take?

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
hey when are you durabacking this turd? let me know i want to do mine and i am waiting for you to get done with yours first.

·
Registered
8,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
rugerp89ipsc said:
damn you got an ass load done today. That is looking really good. What did you sand it with. I am gonna need to get started on mine this summer if it ever gets to be decent around here and besides reading a few threads (ie the rattle can one just a few hours ago along with others), I am brand spankin new to body work. what did you do to pull the dent out? IIRC, you just swaped doors? that right? And lastly, are you going to go straight black?

Saturday night and full of questions, sorry. Damn I wasted my day. I need to get started on that damn visor I bought my girl, but the only place i have to work is in her art studio on campus, which is so filthy, I think I am gonna have to mock up and build a mini spray booth to get it done well this summer.

Good job amigo. Looks sharp. More pics tomorrow I hope.:rockon
I used one of those sanding wheel thingys that you can attach to a drill. I have no idea what they're called, I just found them in the body section at checker. I wouldnt recommend using one, if you want it to look good right off the bat. Rust Bullet is pretty thick, so it filled in a lot of my mistakes, where I dug in too much. Talk to someone like Redwagon, or Fordgirl. They should be able to point you in the right direction. I've never done any body work b4 today, so I dont want to steer anyone in the wrong direction. Mine is not going to be show queen by any means...I do however want to see how good of a job I can do with a rattle can...

Yes it's gonna be completely blacked out.

The door is a real sore spot for me. I went to go hang the one I got off ebay, and it wouldnt line up...It wouldnt even come close. Me and my buddy couldnt figure out wtf was the problem. We took it to a local body shop, and they discovered that the portion where the upper hinge mounts, was bent in such a way, that it made the door useless. There was nothing he could do to fix it. He did however repair my door(as best he could) for a cheap price...I used the "I'm getting ready to deploy to Iraq" line, and he cut me a pretty good deal. Kinda lame on my part, but oh well.

If I come across a GOOD door for a decent price, I still might replace mine...No more from EBAY:banghead

As far as the dent goes. I tried that stupid Pops-a-dent thing off tv. It seemed like a good idea. I had zero luck with it. The glue wouldnt hold. I tried pulling it, with the spare tire carrier still on...No luck. I tried pulling it with the carrier off...No luck. I threw it away.

I tried one of those big ass suction cups, that you can find in the body section at the auto parts stores...It wouldnt even stick to the panel. I tried getting it wet, and still nothing. I had to excange it for a slide hammer. I should have started with it. I only had to drill one hole, and it popped out with minimal effort. Then, since I was already using bondo, I just filled and sanded the tiney hole, I had just drilled. Live and learn I guess.

·
Registered
8,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imlikeojnow said:
hey when are you durabacking this turd? let me know i want to do mine and i am waiting for you to get done with yours first.

I had a change of heart(for the moment). I was out in my parking lot a couple weeks ago, and came across this little pickup.

I origionally thought he had used Herc on it, but I finally cornered him, and asked him about it. He used the same black durabak, I wanted to use, and it looks beat to shit. It just looks tacky, after its been skuffed up.

I know you can go back over it, but for the moment I'm sticking with a spay bomb job.

I can always go back over it with durabak in the future, if I feel the need.

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
derrick36 said:
I had a change of heart(for the moment). I was out in my parking lot a couple weeks ago, and came across this little pickup.

I origionally thought he had used Herc on it, but I finally cornered him, and asked him about it. He used the same black durabak, I wanted to use, and it looks beat to shit. It just looks tacky, after its been skuffed up.

I know you can go back over it, but for the moment I'm sticking with a spay bomb job.

I can always go back over it with durabak in the future, if I feel the need.

you know you can get durbak that is smooth right?

·
Registered
8,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
rugerp89ipsc said:

sorry, random question, but is your cargo light upside down? if it isn't, mine is :toothless. On my 90, the button was on the bottom and the light/lense aboce. I just pulled it and painted it black to go along with my girl's whole red/blk thing. just curious.

one more question, how must rust bullet did the exterior take?

You know...It might be upside down. I dont remember how it origionally was. I'll have to look and see if I have any pics b4 I painted it.:toothless

I'm right at about a gallon with the Rust Bullet. I still have some stuff to do though. The sides of the tailgate, and the door sills, need some RB and Herc to finally be finished. If you consider those couple things "interior", you could get 2 good coats on the exterior with 1 gallon.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
derrick36 said:
I know what you mean. I took this to the body shop the very next day after this happened. I was driving through a gate and it swung closed and bumped the truck

1 - 20 of 89 Posts