Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so ive done the searches and all but cant find the right answer.. so..

Im going to be installing a new external tranny filter kit, and cooler kit tomorrow and need some info..

questions...

1. can i tap off of the existing cooler return line and hook to new cooler??

2. Do i need to completely do away with existing cooler??(plug it)

3. external filter should be attached to which line?? cooler line or return line??

4. should filter be mounted vertical, 45degrees or 90???

5. is cutting the hard line and hooking flexible tubing directly to it with pipe clamps good enough??

6. is it possible to overcool tranny fluid?? My state lowest temps in the teens...

7. Pics of hose orientation helpful :thumbup

BTW: im using these kits...

http://www.amazon.com/70264-SuperCo...n-Cooler/dp/B000CIIDZE/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_img_y

http://www.amazon.com/80277-Univers...n-Filter/dp/B000CIKJMY/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_img_z

thanks everyone :thumbup

·
Registered
9,834 Posts
Ok, so ive done the searches and all but cant find the right answer.. so..

Im going to be installing a new external tranny filter kit, and cooler kit tomorrow and need some info..

questions...

1. can i tap off of the existing cooler return line and hook to new cooler??

2. Do i need to completely do away with existing cooler??(plug it)

3. external filter should be attached to which line?? cooler line or return line??

4. should filter be mounted vertical, 45degrees or 90???

5. is cutting the hard line and hooking flexible tubing directly to it with pipe clamps good enough??

6. is it possible to overcool tranny fluid?? My state lowest temps in the teens...

7. Pics of hose orientation helpful :thumbup

BTW: im using these kits...

http://www.amazon.com/70264-SuperCo...n-Cooler/dp/B000CIIDZE/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_img_y

http://www.amazon.com/80277-Univers...n-Filter/dp/B000CIKJMY/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_img_z

thanks everyone :thumbup
1- yes, but do you have just the radiator cooler or the radiator cooler and factory auxillary cooler? If you have a small auxillary cooler replace it with the new one, if you have a big auxillary cooler already you don't need another.
2- if your talking about the radiator cooler no, leave it. It will help get the fluid up to operating temp.
3- It should go trans > radiator cooler > auxillary cooler > filter > trans
4- Vertical or horizontal, it's really personal preference. Stock are mounted with the ports facing down.
5-cut the line with a pipe cutter. Flare the end with a double flaring tool. slide the tube over the end and use 2 hose clamps or fuel injection clamps.
6-yes, keep the radiator cooler and you shouldn't have issues.
7-
My setup

Full album:

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1- yes, but do you have just the radiator cooler or the radiator cooler and factory auxillary cooler? If you have a small auxillary cooler replace it with the new one, if you have a big auxillary cooler already you don't need another.
2- if your talking about the radiator cooler no, leave it. It will help get the fluid up to operating temp.
3- It should go trans > radiator cooler > auxillary cooler > filter > trans
4- Vertical or horizontal, it's really personal preference. Stock are mounted with the ports facing down.
5-cut the line with a pipe cutter. Flare the end with a double flaring tool. slide the tube over the end and use 2 hose clamps or fuel injection clamps.
6-yes, keep the radiator cooler and you shouldn't have issues.
7-
My setup

[/url]
thanks for the info..

1. i have just the radiator with the built in tranny cooler..

7. Does it matter which direction the cooler is installed?? i thought it would have been input line above the return??

·
Registered
9,834 Posts
thanks for the info..

1. i have just the radiator with the built in tranny cooler..

7. Does it matter which direction the cooler is installed?? i thought it would have been input line above the return??
Unless it has a thermostat built in no. If you install it with the ports sideways the top should be the return.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unless it has a thermostat built in no. If you install it with the ports sideways the top should be the return.
So on the original cooler, which line is the return?? i though it would have been the bottom...

If you're going to cut the metal lines and attach rubber hose to it, I recommend doing it this way:
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308402&highlight=cooler
i might actually do that if i can flare the end right. lol.. last time i worked on brake lines, i tried to flare them and messed em all up. i dont know if it was me or the tools. lol

·
Registered
9,834 Posts
So on the original cooler, which line is the return?? i though it would have been the bottom...

i might actually do that if i can flare the end right. lol.. last time i worked on brake lines, i tried to flare them and messed em all up. i dont know if it was me or the tools. lol
The lower port of the radiator cooler is the return going back to the trans. Forget what I said about the cooler if you mount it sideways, some people think it matters which is the return. Personally I don't, and it won't make any noticeable difference.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The lower port of the radiator cooler is the return going back to the trans. Forget what I said about the cooler if you mount it sideways, some people think it matters which is the return. Personally I don't, and it won't make any noticeable difference.
ok. sounds good. lol.. ill post pics when i install next week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts