Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '95 5.0L. Hope you guys can help me out here. Drove to Home Depot, came out about 15 min. later, got in.....and she wouldn't run! Turns over, so it's not the starter, battery is good, and there's definitely spark (trust me I felt it). So, that leaves the fuel pump right? Checked all fuses/relays, all good. Had it towed back home, pulled the fuel filter out and cranked it over, no fuel coming out of the line. In-tank fuel pump ($150), gas tank is FULL! Got thinking.....would an in-line external fuel pump work, even though the stock fuel pump would be left in the tank? Could be installed right where the fuel filter is located, and I would move the fuel filter up ahead on the line. Fuel pump I was looking at is part# MSD-2225, high pressure/high flow, 43gph, 85psi, costs $90.00 out of Summit Racing. So my question is, will it work? If so, is a fuel regulator necessary? Where should I wire up the positive side (wire) of the pump? Thanks in advance.

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
Why dont you fix what you got? You are assuming the fuel pump is bad because its not running but you havent even diagnosed the problem. You're about 3 steps ahead of where you need to be. Figure out if the pump is getting power or not first, then go from there.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
kf4amu said:
Why dont you fix what you got? You are assuming the fuel pump is bad because its not running but you havent even diagnosed the problem. You're about 3 steps ahead of where you need to be. Figure out if the pump is getting power or not first, then go from there.
:stupid

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4amu

OK. Could you please tell me where/how do I test if fuel pump is getting power or not? Are you talking about the electrical switch I see by the top of the gas tank, facing the front of the vehicle? If so, do you know which color wire to test? Just probe with test light and turn key on correct? I don't hear the pump priming. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
1. The steps to test the fuel pump and relay cicitry are clearly outlined in your Hayns repair manual.

2. If the pump in the tank is removed then yes you could use an external pump. But if your having to ask what wires etc, etc to hook it to then you are not ready for such an install. Your best bet is to repair the factory system.

Dont just throw parts at it.
Do some diagnosis and figure out whats wrong. It could be as simple as a bad fuel pump relay.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, according to a ASE certified mechanic I spoke with today, the stock fuel pump does NOT have to be removed, in order to be able to run an in-line external fuel pump. So, someone is wrong here! If someone here knows exactly which color wire at the switch to test, please let me know? Or, if someone here has done the install I am asking about, please let me know how it turned out for you? Thank you very much.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
As a certified mechanic,I don't believe it would be a good idea to run an external pump with the factory one in the tank due to having to pull fuel through the factory pump,putting un-neccessary strain on the the external pump(could cause premature external pump failure).The color of the wire is pink/black tracer-check for power at the connector at the inertia switch,if you have power there,then check for power at the connector at the fuel pump,have someone turn the key on while you are testing(the circuit will be energized for about 2 seconds,then you will have to cycle the key to energize the circuit again)Get a Haynes manual!!!!If it is a pump failure then replace the in tank pump.To get the fuel out of the tank into jerry cans or?,you can use a cheap fuel pump hooked into the line from the tank at the fuel filter.

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
Broncoitis said:
Well, according to a ASE certified mechanic I spoke with today, the stock fuel pump does NOT have to be removed, in order to be able to run an in-line external fuel pump. So, someone is wrong here! If someone here knows exactly which color wire at the switch to test, please let me know? Or, if someone here has done the install I am asking about, please let me know how it turned out for you? Thank you very much.
True it doesnt HAVE to be hooked up, but those flow and pressure numbers you quoted can be thrown right out the window under a southbound freight train on its way to meaningless. Which means there is no guarantee you will get the pressure and flow you need to run the motor.

I think your best bet is to replace the fuel pump. Bite the bullet, drop the tank, and spend the extra money.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Broncoitis said:
Well, according to a ASE certified mechanic I spoke with today, the stock fuel pump does NOT have to be removed, in order to be able to run an in-line external fuel pump. So, someone is wrong here!
Yes and it is your ASE certified mechanic.

I have an 86, they have 2 fuel pumps. One low presure primer pump in the tank and one high pressure pump on the frame rail. When my low pressure in tank pump failed the high pressure pump could not suck fuel past the low pressure pump. Since the low pressure pump in my tank is the same basick design as your high pressure pump (just with a lower pressure rating) I dont think your aftermarket pump (wich has a lower pressure rating than my factory high pressure pump) will pull the apropriate amount of fuil past it.

Broncoitis said:
Thank you very much.
Your verry welcome.:twak

And welcome to FSB :beer :thumbup

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Updated Info.

Here's some updated info. Tested everything, and ended up being the stock fuel pump indeed. Anyway, went ahead and installed the MSD-2225 in-line external fuel pump and the Bronco fired up right away. Seems to be running fine, responded well when I hit the gas pedal. Did a quick install just to see if it would work. Here's how it went (from gas tank forward): stock braided fuel line-to fitting (cut from old fuel filter)-clamped to rubber line-to MSD pump-to rubber line-to new fuel filter-back to stock braided fuel line that goes towards engine. So, instead of cutting the stock fuel line and making a permanent install, I tested things first, and used the spot where the fuel filter mounts. Even left the pump hanging on the line, inches from the ground. Despite being lower than the tank, pump still supplied the gas needed. This is a Universal high volume pump, 43GPH/85psi, capable of supporting all the way up to 500HP! Still have to complete the installation properly, and take it for a test drive. I know I'll get picked on for not lowering the tank, bla bla bla, but if this works for me I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
you better watch running anytype of rubber line on an efi fuel system.. thats a fire waiting to happen.. i did the switch on my old ramcharger but that was carbed and its low pressure.. no more than 7 psi.. when u get up there with 70-90- psi make sure u do it right ur your gonna burn your shit down and i hope u ran this new pump thru a switch and a relay if not you gonna start an electrical fire..

im not trying to be an ass but im just speaking the truth about playing with gas and electrical

1 - 14 of 14 Posts