Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd share a couple pics of my project this afternoon. I decided to go ahead and do the external oil line mod to my 351M. I read some of the posts here about doing it but the only specifics I saw was using hose and push lock fittings. I don't care for hose personally unless its something that needs to flex alot. They melt, they get holes rubbed in them etc, not what I wanted to worry about on a trail. Anyway, here are the pics:

Took a little extra time but hopefully it was worth it. I'll be keeping an eye everything for the next few days just to be safe. ;)

· Fullsize Member
2,845 Posts
Looks good. First time I have seen it done with hard line. Looks a lot better than hose too. Gives me an idea, maby Ill switch over to hard line.

· Fullsize Member
2,845 Posts
Fill me in...I do not have a modified. Where does it go?

Chris
Depending on what motor you have it might be a little different. On cleveland and 351m/400 blocks the end of the crossover oil gallery is usually plugged on the side of the block. This is where you can tap into pressurized oil for an external oil line to help feed the last two crank bearings.

· is hazardous to others
1,670 Posts
so it takes oil from the top back of the block and puts it in the front bottom for the front of the crank? or for the back of the crank? this is the first time i've herd of this mod...

· Premium Member
4,205 Posts
so it takes oil from the top back of the block and puts it in the front bottom for the front of the crank? or for the back of the crank? this is the first time i've herd of this mod...
Opposite of that. The front location is very close to the oil pump and a direct source of oil...which is routed by the tubing to the rear directly via the oil pressure sender galley. It's a mod that has been used on the Cleveland engines for a long time..called 'external' or 'reverse' oiling and as noted, it provides a direct oil supply to the rear of the engine which is otherwise 'last in line' from the passenger side (I think?.forgot which side for sure) lifter galley source, front to back.

That is also a good line to put in an oil cooler..which is how mine is done, but with braided stainless line, since the cooler is on the firewall and not the engine.

· is hazardous to others
1,670 Posts
ok thanks that helps but a couple more ?s. would you notice an increase in oil pressure on the guage? i know that the presure in the system would stay the same, but with a line from the front like that the gauge might read diff.. also does it really help the motor last longer? i have almost 80 pounds of oil pressure when i start mine up and a 10 qt system, basically would it help my motor out?

· Premium Member
4,205 Posts
ok thanks that helps but a couple more ?s. would you notice an increase in oil pressure on the guage? i know that the presure in the system would stay the same, but with a line from the front like that the gauge might read diff.. also does it really help the motor last longer? i have almost 80 pounds of oil pressure when i start mine up and a 10 qt system, basically would it help my motor out?
The benefits of reverse oiling the 'C's are always argued. I have run with and without on the same engine and noticed no difference in indicated oil pressure at any RPM. For me, it's more of a 'well it can't hurt' kind of mod and makes sense from what I understand its supposed to do; prevent rear main starvation at high RPM. But it's also just as much because I wanted an external oil cooler and that is an easy way to do that.

· Fullsize Member
2,845 Posts
Its about a $15-$20 mod. Very easy, and will possibly extend the life of your rear mains. I origionally did mine with hose but am thinkin about the hard line now

· Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, its not hard but if you've never bent tube before you need to be patient and think every bend out carefully. Also when you double flare the tube ends, the way you cut and prep the tube makes 110% difference in the result.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.