Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heres the deal. i got the external hook up filter dealy to remote mount a filter. i went to all the different brands of autopart stores and they cant find a thing without a part number or a vehicle to look it up against. i went to NAPA. i tell you the costs are a little higher there but they always find stuff no one else can. so they pulled a few deisel tranny filters, one fit, but it was really small. will just a plain old oil filter work to filter tranny fluid? i saw the screen on the stock C6 tranny filter, will this be too much filtration? Ryan?:cool:

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
was it a "summit" house brand or perma cool tranny kit? thats what i am going to add eventually. possibly. see i have a good sized cooler on it and i may not need an actual number reading. the remote mount takes a regular oil filter, its just i didnt know if there was a difference or a reason that you couldnt use oil filters for tranny fluid, like it would dissolve the filter element. thanks, AXE

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,874 Posts
there is a special filter just for tranny useage.
I have been to lazt to go out and look at the number, by filter is turned so I can't read it :toothless

The oil filter is to high a pressure or something :shrug

Heck I don't know, all I do know is there is a special filter for a tranny so I use it.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can you get the number for that filter Ryan? is it the same size as a oil filter? like the regular size filter for most any ford. if there was anything related to pressure, i would think that the tranny fluid would be under higher pressure than the oil, so there would be a risk of the canister bursting or seams leaking. any guys out there know hydraulics? Zach, this would be a perfect time for your area of knowlege, im sure you see more hydraulics on a regular basis that all of us. AXE

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,874 Posts
yeah it's the same size as an oil filter:

but as you can see, I need a mirror :banghead
Or I got to spin it :banghead
I wasn't in the mood to do that much work today :(

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
eh, you know, whenever its good for you. where did you get it?

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,874 Posts
axaviere said:
if there was anything related to pressure, i would think that the tranny fluid would be under higher pressure than the oil, so there would be a risk of the canister bursting or seams leaking. AXE
I'm pretty sure the coolant lines are low pressure. Just like the low pressure line on the powersteering pump. It does have pressue to move the fluid, but not lots of pressure. Oil filters are 25-75 PSI

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you would think they are common & easy to find. i walked into autozone, advance, o'reileys & napa. i walk in and they always shake their heads. WTF? why cant they look up a simple tranny filter without having a make year & model to look up? after i asked one guy he turns to the guy next to him and says "dont ya just love these people that dont have anything to look up..." smart azz bastard. anyway, WIX i have heard of. i dont think that will help them honestly. i am doing all the work on my end looking up the correct rod ends for my steering rods... goofy bastards dont even have the big books of parts for reference. i can skip the filtering now, but i want to plumb it in soon. the only tranny filter that they could find was 3" tall. thanks, take your time. AXE

·
Offical FSB Map Maker
3,033 Posts
axaviere said:
... i asked one guy he turns to the guy next to him and says "dont ya just love these people that dont have anything to look up..." smart azz bastard...
You should have told him if he didn't want to do his F'n job to get the hell out of the way and find somebody that does.

If they can't hit a couple of keys on a keyboard and find what they are looking for it's like they don't know where else to look!! :twak :twak :twak

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
one guy in one store walked me back to the tranny filter shelves. now there are mostly flat boxes there. mind you i have the adaptor in hand. he starts "we cant just pick a filter and try it, in might not thread on. i need a number" now there were maybe 3 types of filter that werent flat like a C6 filter. do you think at that point he could have opened the 4 boxes and we could have tried on or two? nope. like i am going to go to NAPA, get the number and then come get it from them. butt munch. i wont say what store it was :cough: O'Reileys :cough: but i dont think i will be going there much. give me an old guy with a crew cut and a pack of smoles in his front pocket anyday. AXE

T

·
0 Posts
I am undergoing this myself.

The filter that Ford installs when they replace the E4OD is called a Magnafine filter.
It is an inline filter. It has a 3 micron rating.
Although the FL1A or comparable filter is better than nothing, it is not as good as a 3 micron filter.
I have been trying to find someone with the knowledge that can dig me up a 3 micron, spin on filter to fit that base.

The base is pretty standard. It's finding a filter with a micron rating, bypass, and without a check valve.
They use to put all the stuff in the catalogs, butnot for years now.

I have been trying to get through to Fleetgaurd Tech support. I have always had the best luck with them.

I'll keep trying and let you know what filter I find.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
try napa if you can. they had 2 specific to trannys. they looked them up on big deisel pickups like the fords, dodges & chevy's have in the HD trucks. i think one was alison. but there is a high dollar oil filter thats like $12 or more thats supposed to have super filtration, 3 mics i dont know. maybe a gas/fuel filter from big rigs??

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what kind of filter did the Summit kit run or reccommend? are you using currently?

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
KINGWC, thats good enough for me. i will hook it up asap. thanks, AXE

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
gearhead, do you have that list by any chance? just to comfirm that they are all oil filters. thanks, AXE

1 - 20 of 25 Posts