Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have searched and done what was suggested but haven't figured it out yet. I have a 95 with a 5.8 that I installed new injectors in. After the swap I am running extremely rich to the point that it sounds like I have a massive cam, black smoke out of the tailpipe and eventually floods out. I can drive it at 1500 rpm or more and it runs fine. I replaced the original ones with another set of yellow top with black base so I am assuming they are 19lb injectors. I have replaced the MAP with a used good one, tested IAC and TPS and all are within specs. I thought I had an injector that was stuck open so I tore it down again and pulled the injectors out of the intake but left them in the fuel rail and turned the key on but no fuel was coming out of any of them, this was without the connector plugged in. I then thought a ground issue so I got a Noid light and tested all of the connectors and no issues there either. What else should I be checking before I put it back together? Also, the only codes I get is 565 and 111, 565 is for the fuel canister purge valve.

Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried that but all I could smell was gas throughout the garage. I did replace the regulator along with everything else when I built the motor a month ago but that doesn't mean anything. I did remove the hose to see if it would make a difference but it didn't, not sure that it would.

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
3,403 Posts
You didn’t sound like you were 100% sure they were 19# injectors. I’d try to check that if you can. If the injectors are rebuilt, it’s not guarantee that they’re good. Hopefully they’re not leaky. I assume you checked all cylinders are firing (injectors and spark) and ignition timing right?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The injectors are supposed to be new but I can't guarantee that. All I can say it that they are yellow top and black base which points to 19lb. I did check and all cylinders are firing, I also checked timing with the spout out and it is set dead on 10*. The truck ran fine until I swapped the injectors out. It points to a bad injector but all are firing as they should. I couldn't tell you which injector fired at what point but I did see that it fired 2 at a time on each rail then it would fire the other 2 on each rail. I haven't tested the O2 sensor but it is new as well, anyway to test it?

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
886 Posts
Put the old injectors back in maybe?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought about it but I have a couple that aren't working correctly. I have some that provide a mist and a couple that produce a stream. I have tried to clean them and changed filters and all but no luck.

·
Man of endless projects
9,095 Posts
where did you get the injectors? can you read part number of one of them?

orange and yellow are generally 19lb, but also apparently there was a yellow 42lb

the MAP trucks like your 95 351 does 'batch fire' where it fires 4 injectors and the next revolution fires the other 4. there are only 2 wires going to the PCM. 1,4,5,8 one one bank and 2,3,6,7 on the other. this actually lets the same wiring being used on non-HO 302 and 351 despite differetn firing order. MAF trucks use 'sequential fire' where each each injector is fired independently and there are 8 wires going to PCM.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
According to your picture, they are the 19lb black and orange ones. These are the part numbers that these injectors replace, 280150943, 0280150939, 0280150909, 0280150943, 0280150718, 0280150956, 822-11111, F1ZE-C2A, E6TE-A2B, E5TE-A3B, E6TE-A3B

·
Man of endless projects
9,095 Posts
can you rotate one of the injectors and actually see what the number is to confirm it?

did you check fuel pressure? might need to pull the injectors, ziptie them to the rail in a way you can presurize the system and make sure they dont leak. maybe cran kthe engine and make sure spray is good

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did test the injectors and none are leaking but I didn't check the spray pattern. I also verified that the part number in the pic is the same on all 8 injectors.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, I rented a fuel pressure kit and I am just above 36 at idle and it drops to about 32 revving it. Now, is it possible to rebuild an injector and it be something different than 19lb in a 19lb housing? Basically could they have sent me a 36lb in 19lb clothing? I put the intake back on and still rich. I pulled some plugs and they are all wet so I believe they are all throwing way to much fuel.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I unplugged the O2 sensor to see how it would act and still no change. What happens when the O2 sensor is unplugged, does it throw more fuel at it?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts