Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we have something called EZ pass here in NY, it's an electronic card reading system that records as you pass thru the toll, so you don't have to stop to put money in. in the midwest its called I pass or something, same idea, it just debits your credit card at predetermined amounts and replenishes as you use it.

anyway, some of the EZ pass lanes have speed limits. apparently i was clocked at 31 in a 20, and they suspended my account for 2 months! and not just the one car's account they suspended, but ALL my ez passes in all my cars. i can't use them at all until the end of march. here in ny, which has a world of traffic at bridge and tunnel crossings, that really puts the hurt on me. and it's not like i was aware of this suspension policy or anything, i found out the hard way when my card would not read and i had to pull over and talk to the nice man...

so when i got home i did a little digging. and i found out a few things.

first, i am paying a $1 a month per ez pass surcharge to the ny metro transit authority for the "privilege" of using an ez pass to pay a toll. never knew that, fawk them.

second, there are numerous ez pass agencies here in the northeast, that operate independently of each other. so i went to the maryland ez pass agency, which has no surcharge, and signed up for a new ez pass for each of my cars and - voila - my new ez passes arrived in less than a week. they will work at any ez pass facility in the country.

so i just told ny ez pass to cancel my account and kiss my ass.:beer

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
well stop speeding then a-hole.

We have that shit here too. we have one toll bridge in this area but there is a toll road in south florida we use for work. it is fun when we are convoying to homestead and all 158 m series vehicle get on the hiway at the same time, pisses alot of people off cause they has to wait.

·
Lick my
2,086 Posts
Here in IL, its called the I-pass. It works well IMO, but the biggest deal is that they practically make you get it if you use the tollways often. If you dont have one, the price per toll is double what it is if you have one. Thats total BS for people who have to pass through the state. I have also heard of people getting tickets if your average speed between tolls is higher than the posted limit.

What is nice is the "open road tolling" where you pass through the toll at speed without having to go through or even towards the booths. Sure helped decrease congestion a lot.

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
I have an EZ pass for Jersey and the surrounding and an E pass for Florida.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Dont know of any toll roads here in LA. I think there might be a couple down south near San Diego. I'd be pissed if we had them though.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
we have that deal here in the bay area at least. My friend went too fast through the sensor and it didnt pick up the charge on his pass, so they sent him like a 20 somthin dollar fine.

·
Try it now!!
9,115 Posts
I have an EZ pass for Jersey and the surrounding and an E pass for Florida.
Sunpass in Orlando.

You can go through it 3 times in a month and all you get is a letter telling you there is a problem with your Sunpass account. Since I didnt have a Sunpass account, I figured it was working just fine, and forgot about it.

Makes a 5 dollar trip to the Orlando airport 2-3 times a year into a free trip to the Orlando airport.

·
Registered
832 Posts
no tolls in oregon, jealous much?

i think the tolls suck and oregon annoys me. but id rather pay the toll than have someone else pump my gas.
the ticket you got, was it an actual speeding ticket? like you have to pay the fine and whatnot?

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Right on!!!!! Way to stick it to the man!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Orange County, CA it's called the "Express Lanes". You get the privalage of driving in the carpool like lanes for a whole 10 miles for about $10 during the time when you would actually need to use the lanes. That is for one way, you want to get back home from work that's a different price... prices vary by traffic volume during time periods. If there's an accident in the toll lanes do you think they discount you or give you a free ride, ha-ha

·
Man with a Golden ticket
4,003 Posts
hmmm, gee, what happened to all that gas tax monies we have been putting into the dedicated TRUST fund.

Oh yeah congress decided they wanted to spend it on other than highway purposes. :rockon

What was I thinking! :doh0715:

·
Lick my
2,086 Posts
Dont know of any toll roads here in LA. I think there might be a couple down south near San Diego. I'd be pissed if we had them though.
What do you think pays for our roads? Its better to pay for that than to have them factor it into the state taxes. Its bad enough that Crook County wants us to have a $40 vehicle sticker to go along with our $75 city sticker to pay for our transit system. I gotta move out of this city....

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Uh 83Bronco, originally the tolls on 294 were to be lifted in 1969 when the road was paid for after being built. The only reason they charged a toll was to pay for the road. Gov Blagobitch decided to make it all better with open road tolling so of course the tolls had to go up to foot the bill for the new open road toll lanes. It is all BS, there is no reason to have the tollroads, traffic would flow 100% better without them. The state of Wi does not have one single tolled road in it and they still seem to maintain it fine. When I drive past an IDOT truck sitting on a ramp reading the paper or taking a nap I know exactly where that toll money is going, along with lining some politicians pockets.

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
I had a speed pass of whatever it was called when I lived in Boston. Only problem was on 90 the people not using it would back for 1/2 mile during rush hour an limit its effectiness (Not sure if that is a word).

·
Lick my
2,086 Posts
Uh 83Bronco, originally the tolls on 294 were to be lifted in 1969 when the road was paid for after being built. The only reason they charged a toll was to pay for the road. Gov Blagobitch decided to make it all better with open road tolling so of course the tolls had to go up to foot the bill for the new open road toll lanes. It is all BS, there is no reason to have the tollroads, traffic would flow 100% better without them. The state of Wi does not have one single tolled road in it and they still seem to maintain it fine. When I drive past an IDOT truck sitting on a ramp reading the paper or taking a nap I know exactly where that toll money is going, along with lining some politicians pockets.
Sorry, Im not old enough to even have been thought of in 1969 but they do have to maintain a lot of roads however. Its not like every expressway has a toll either. Its just 294, 90 and 88. I agree that the "open road" deal was a little unneeded, but I have to admit that it has improved the time on my commute everyday. Also, part of the open road tolling deal was to fix the "washboard" section of I-88 that was in dire need of attention. Before the ORT, the ohare toll was pretty much a complete nightmare all the time (except for between 1 and 4 am). Since its opened, it helped ease some of the congestion.

Dont worry about Blojobobitch, when his connection in the Rezko deal is made, he'll be sitting in club fed along side ex-governor Ryan.......He aint half the crook that his father-in-law is....

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
it's not, but "effectiveness" is :thumbup
My spelling gets me again (And I got a peice of paper from college and all). Ohh well, I would think about how much it bothers me, but I gotta go find a dog and feed it W&W's now.:thumbup

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Sorry, Im not old enough to even have been thought of in 1969 but they do have to maintain a lot of roads however. Its not like every expressway has a toll either. Its just 294, 90 and 88. I agree that the "open road" deal was a little unneeded, but I have to admit that it has improved the time on my commute everyday. Also, part of the open road tolling deal was to fix the "washboard" section of I-88 that was in dire need of attention. Before the ORT, the ohare toll was pretty much a complete nightmare all the time (except for between 1 and 4 am). Since its opened, it helped ease some of the congestion.

Dont worry about Blojobobitch, when his connection in the Rezko deal is made, he'll be sitting in club fed along side ex-governor Ryan.......He aint half the crook that his father-in-law is....

Don't forget 355.

I can remember being backed up for what seemed like hours at the lake cook plaze before I-pass. There is no doubt open tolling has cleared up a ton of backups. It still is not needed to maintain these roads. How does Wi get away with maintaning 94 from the state line to Milwaukee with no toll road? It's all just another cover up for politicians to line there pocket.

Oh and the fixing of the roads, if Palumbo would of done there job right the first time most of the toll road would not need to be repaired already.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts