Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, I'm new to the forums and I just bought my 1989 Bronco for a winter project.

My first issue is that the PO wanted to put a 19 Gal F-150 rear tank in the Bronco so it was low profile. So I have a 19 Gal tank and a new F-150 Sending Unit. But what I found is that the sending unit from the F-150 has a 4 pin connector on it, I have the connector from the F-150 with Black, Orange, Brownish/Purple, and Yellowish/White wires. The problem is that the Bronco has a 3 pin connector on it, with Black, Red, and White if I remember right. Is it possible to have this sending unit and fuel tank in a Bronco with those wires? Any help you can provide will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Cody

Edit: adding pictures of connector and sending unit.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,536 Posts
The wires do the same thing, the brown wasnt used on the p/us as far as i can tell.
Well, let me put it this way- when i swapped over to that same tank a few years back i cut the plug off the bronco and wired in the p/u plug, and only hooked up the three cuz the brown wire didnt go to anything on the sending unit/pump that was in the tank when i got it.
Heres what ya do. #1,find out where the three wires go on the bronco sending unit/pump. Cut the plug off the bronco harness, then take the p/u's plug, and splice it into your harness in such a fashion that those three wires go to the same places on the new sending unit/pump. It really is just that simple. I dont even know if i stll have my notes anymore as its been so long, but it is that simple.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, I'll check the Haynes manual and see if I can find out which wire did what. If anyone knows it would be awesome.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,536 Posts
Just look at both sending unit/pumps. They use the same basic color code, so you know which wire on the broncos harness went where just by looking at the plug. Then chop your plug off, and splice the new one on, so the harness wires go to the same colored wire on the p/u's sending unit/pump.

For example...i can see, just by looking at the two pics you posted, that the p/us orange wire goes to black, the striped black goes to red, and the striped yellow goes to blue. Now go look at your bronco, and check what color wire on your harness goes to black, and splice the orange to that, and so on. No diagrams required. The red & black is obviously the +12/ground for the pump, and the blue is obviously the signal from the sending unit, so look at your white on the bronco one, and see where it attaches, but ill bet ya its the sending unit ;) This is pretty easy if you just sit down and look at all the parts at the same time. Youre just over-thinking it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just look at both sending unit/pumps. They use the same basic color code, so you know which wire on the broncos harness went where just by looking at the plug. Then chop your plug off, and splice the new one on, so the harness wires go to the same colored wire on the p/u's sending unit/pump.

For example...i can see, just by looking at the two pics you posted, that the p/us orange wire goes to black, the striped black goes to red, and the striped yellow goes to blue. Now go look at your bronco, and check what color wire on your harness goes to black, and splice the orange to that, and so on. No diagrams required. The red & black is obviously the +12/ground for the pump, and the blue is obviously the signal from the sending unit, so look at your white on the bronco one, and see where it attaches, but ill bet ya its the sending unit ;) This is pretty easy if you just sit down and look at all the parts at the same time. Youre just over-thinking it.
I don't have a bronco sending unit to compare colors with, but I think the Haynes manual gave me a little hint. Does anyone know which each wire on the harness goes to in the Sending unit? Or does anyone have a sending unit from an 89 or similar that they could peek at?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts