Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Salt-Man
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
someone told me that the 250's axels are not much stronger then the one's in the bronco is this true?

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
A Dana 44 HD (f-250) is not any stronger than a Dana 44 out of a F-150 or Bronco. They both have a 8.5" ring gear, 19 spline stubs, and 30 spline inners. IIRC the only advantage is the larger U-joints?

A Dana 60 rear is only slightly strongr than a 9 inch rear from some of the strength comparisons I have seen listed on various sights. The Sterling axle is suposed to be strong but I have never used one. I would look for a 14 bolt rear, cheap and strong, and I have used them before and can contest to there strength.

The advantages are larger brake system and 8 lug pattern if thats what your after.

·
Administrator
22,838 Posts
Dont forget though Redwagon,you can make a FF 9"....IMO I would take a 9" over the 60,for weight reasons if nothing else.My 9" has held up to alot of rough stuff with 39.5" cut Bogger's.
at what cost?....dont get me wrong I wheel a 9 inch rear axle also and have yet to break anything in it.

·
In Front of Jopes
3,572 Posts
A Dana 44 HD (f-250) is not any stronger than a Dana 44 out of a F-150 or Bronco. They both have a 8.5" ring gear, 19 spline stubs, and 30 spline inners. IIRC the only advantage is the larger U-joints?

A Dana 60 rear is only slightly strongr than a 9 inch rear from some of the strength comparisons I have seen listed on various sights. The Sterling axle is suposed to be strong but I have never used one. I would look for a 14 bolt rear, cheap and strong, and I have used them before and can contest to there strength.

The advantages are larger brake system and 8 lug pattern if thats what your after.
You are forgetting that those are 1/2" wall tubes for the HD-44 as opposed to 1/4" wall tubes for the 78-79 Bronco and F-150s

·
Administrator
22,838 Posts
I got a line on some used stuff for a FF if your interested,I'll get ya a price together?
Thanks anyways...but it seems lately that my interests are heading other directions...(following some of the sammi builds on pirate and here make me want a smaller lighter trail rig)

·
Salt-Man
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like the lighter trail rig idea my own self, but I want to lighten up my 78 Bronco as much as possible

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
78 bronco and light do not beleong in the same sentence.

the 250 will have bigger brakes, bigger bearings, 8 lugs. the housings can be stronger if you have one of the weaker 1/4" or 3/8" tubes in the bronco axle. 77 and older F-150's all had 1/2" tubes.

I personelly would not swap in a rear 60 as the strength is not that much of a gain.

a 35 spline nine with nodular center section will add alot of beef for the rear axle.

·
Salt-Man
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There's a lot you can lose, my god look at yours? its all skin and bones! you need to feed that damn truck a sandwich ! we should call your truck " Anorexic ! "

1 - 12 of 12 Posts