Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace the bastardized/homebuilt steering setup I have and I was wondering if anyone knows if I can use the tie rods and drag link out of a 86-97 f-350. I think I read somewhere a long time ago (like years ago) that you can but I dont remember for sure.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
Give us details on your rig, setup

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry. My bad.

88 Fsb
'79 bronco front axle
Stock pitman arm
1/2 ton knuckles

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Is there enough material on a D44 knuckle to ream up to a 1 ton chevy TRE?

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
badblack88 said:
Sorry. My bad.

88 Fsb
'79 bronco front axle
Stock pitman arm
1/2 ton knuckles
In that case it may work. Seems to me the lengths of the D60 steering should be correct. You may have to ream the knuckles or pitman arm, not sure. If you figure it out, lmk, we're considering this on Beerman's D44 swap.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
plug ugly said:
60's are wider, it may need to be adjusted in too far to work.
Well the 78/9 D44 stuff wont' work 'cause the drag link is too long I'm assuming, because of the different locations of the steering boxes? But the frames are narrower on 78/9 too, so maybe it would fit? Has anyone tried?

·
....ehhh
931 Posts
Ok here is the skinny For my 1979 Ford Dana 60

78-79 bronco drag link (the one that goes knuckle to knuckle) works on a 79 D60,( that is what i have on now.)

Found out an 86+ drag link will not work on a 79 d60, the threaded studs are too small ( :duh i now have one of those for sale)

The lower piece of a 3-piece tie-rod will work ( the 3 piece being lower end that connects to the drag link, adjusting sleeve, and tie-rod end that goes to the pitman arm)

But the upper rod end that connects to the pitman arm won't, too small also ( :duh i have one of those for sale too.)

The one piece tie-rod (drag link to pitman arm) used on the 78-79 bronco will work, but it has to be shortened. 6 to 8 inches

I should have had the knuckles reamed and used the bigger tie rod ends.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
Drag link goes to pitman arm, tie rod goes knuckle to knuckle

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So what I am getting here is nobody really knows for sure....... :shrug

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
84excursion said:
The one piece tie-rod (drag link to pitman arm) used on the 78-79 bronco will work, but it has to be shortened. 6 to 8 inches.
I don't see this being a problem. Section it, sleeve it, weld it, call it good. But now that I think about it the 78/9 drag link is one piece, isn't it? How did they center the steering wheel?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Keith_L said:
I don't see this being a problem. Section it, sleeve it, weld it, call it good. But now that I think about it the 78/9 drag link is one piece, isn't it? How did they center the steering wheel?
I did it very carefully. Assembled the whole thing on the rig, straightened the wheel, straightened the front wheels, tacked the sleeve, removed it, welded it, reinstalled it. check it out. you can see the cut in half drag link in this pic. It was taken about 10 minutes before I test drove it. :toothless :beer

78F350: thanks for the info. Know I just gotta see if I can make the tie rod work....

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
badblack88 said:
I did it very carefully. Assembled the whole thing on the rig, straightened the wheel, straightened the front wheels, tacked the sleeve, removed it, welded it, reinstalled it.
Hmm, yeah that'd work but you have no adjustability down the road. I'd definitely want a threaded sleeve on the drag link.

78F350: so did you need to ream the Bronco tie rod where it interfaces with the F350 drag link?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Keith_L said:
Hmm, yeah that'd work but you have no adjustability down the road. I'd definitely want a threaded sleeve on the drag link.

78F350: so did you need to ream the Bronco tie rod where it interfaces with the F350 drag link?
No, it fit perfect. Just make sure you get your truck aligned to 78/79 specs. Enjoy!!

·
Registered
69 Bronco crawler, 85 Bronco dormant baja build, 93 Bronco cruiser, 05 F150 supercharged 5.4 tow rig
359 Posts
78F3504x4 said:
No, it fit perfect. Just make sure you get your truck aligned to 78/79 specs. Enjoy!!
Sorta off topic, but what are the benefits of wearing a Sombrero while you work on your truck? :histerica

·
Support our troops!
153 Posts
BigNorm said:
Is there enough material on a D44 knuckle to ream up to a 1 ton chevy TRE?
Norm, don't tell me you are swithching to SAS now to?

dc

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Dangling_Dave said:
Norm, don't tell me you are swithching to SAS now to?

dc
I have the whole front end torn out. I'm commited now. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts