Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled a tow hitch off of an 89' F-350 dually at the pick a part because the internet said most hitches sold will fit all F series trucks and Broncos. So, I ground down the rearmost rivet heads in the frame securing the gas tank, and sized up the hitch to the frame with bolts, but it didn't want to fit. I would end up drilling the holes in the frame awful close to the outer edges of it, making me question whether any load would rip the sides of my frame. Is that how it's supposed to go? Did I get a doosy?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I pulled a tow hitch off of an 89' F-350 dually at the pick a part because the internet said most hitches sold will fit all F series trucks and Broncos. So, I ground down the rearmost rivet heads in the frame securing the gas tank, and sized up the hitch to the frame with bolts, but it didn't want to fit. I would end up drilling the holes in the frame awful close to the outer edges of it, making me question whether any load would rip the sides of my frame. Is that how it's supposed to go? Did I get a doosy?
The cab and chassis has a 34" (outside to outside) frame (in the bed area). Everything else has a 36.25" frame (in most places). Unless it came from a cab and chassis it should fit. I can see a hitch from a C&C being too narrow and not fitting in the way you describe. If it was even narrower you could make brackets to make it fit (been there done that) but if it just barely doesn't fit you're probably SOL.

By "outer edges" you mean the inboard edge of the flange (that's actually an edge) or the outboard edge where it turns up into the web (which is on the "outside")?

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the information. What I meant by not fitting, is the hitch appears to be wider than the frame rails, where the mounting holes are ( the hitch itself must weigh a hundred pounds, which makes it all the more difficult to install). I have no idea who made the hitch either. I only have like 5 letters and numbers identifying it at all, and the internet didn't give me any information on it. I am also assuming I am not the only one that has to drop the gas tank to install a Bronco hitch.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
We need measurements or pics (pics of measurements would be best) to give good advice on this. Try C-clamping it up and getting it square. Do the rivets have the same distance on center as the two aft most bolt holes in the hitch? (yes I know there's probably a clearance bend in the hitch for the rivets)

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Steve. I've got put this receiver up on Craigslist now, unless I can trade it here on FSB.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Thanks Steve. I've got put this receiver up on Craigslist now, unless I can trade it here on FSB.
Put a tape measure on it and take a pic.

Just put a tape measure on the damn thing and tell us what it says. Based on how close you said it was in your first post chances are you can make it the proper size to fit with a hi-lift or a sledge if you want.

I'm trying to help you but you're not making it easy

:twak Get a receiver that FITS your Bronco. :duh
If the measurement across the rear most holes is within 1/8 of the rivets then it fits. He can drill out the rivets to the appropriate size, bolt on the receiver and go from there. I was thinking that it might be possible to clamp up the hitch and use a reamer to line the holes up to the rivets and bolt through all three.

If OP just randomly ground down two rivets he didn't need to grind down and is having trouble holding up a hitch then what makes you think he can be trusted to accurately describe how it fits. :twak

Why the hell is everyone so eager to tell everyone else to spend their hard earned money (not just this thread but in general). Just because OP isn't sure if what he has fits properly doesn't mean he doesn't have the right hitch. If he was comfortable with the situation he'd have drawn the appropriate conclusions without a thread here. The hitch doesn't fit up the way he thinks it should but it's close. The solution isn't "you dun goofed, buy a different hitch," because who knows, he might wind up with one that fits up the same way. There isn't enough info to make that call.

I'm not trying to come off as insulting but OP clearly wasn't comfortable making the call and sought a second opinion, and we can't give a solid recommendation without more specifics.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If OP just randomly ground down two rivets he didn't need to grind down and is having trouble holding up a hitch then what makes you think he can be trusted to accurately describe how it fits. :twak
:twak I've probably been working on cars since before you were born, since 1982, when I was a kid. My girlfriend was holding it up for me, do you think I would do that kind of labor myself?:smilie_slap

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
With NO more specifics, I can solidly recommend NOT taking any chances with fuel, brakes, or trailers. :thumbup
(...or air tanks. :toothless)
I see someone's gotten scared since his compressor self-disassembled......

I get the point of being on the safe side but recommending the something because you don't have enough info is not the same as recommending something because that's what you recommend in the situation anyway.

In the IT industry "I have no idea what's going on, shut everything down" is very different from "this is totally borked, shut everything down."

OP still hasn't got back to us with the measurement. Maybe he's fighting with his girlfriend over who holds the tape measure and who holds the camera.:goodfinge

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the measurements, and the sense of humor arse-sideways. My Bronco frame rails are 37 6/16ths apart (wide). The rear most bolt holes (where the rivets were) have a center to center bolt distance of 34 6/16ths apart.
The Hitch: 37 1/2" wide. Center to center bolt holes where it would mount to the rivet holes are 35 3/4" apart.

I also have the stock tow package on My Bronco, so my bumper has a built in hitch for 2000#s. I want to be able to tow more though. Specifically I need to use a tow dolly.
It sucks I haven't registered with supermotors to show pics.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Thanks for the measurements, and the sense of humor arse-sideways. My Bronco frame rails are 37 6/16ths apart (wide). The rear most bolt holes (where the rivets were) have a center to center bolt distance of 34 6/16ths apart.
The Hitch: 37 1/2" wide. Center to center bolt holes where it would mount to the rivet holes are 35 3/4" apart.

I also have the stock tow package on My Bronco, so my bumper has a built in hitch for 2000#s. I want to be able to tow more though. Specifically I need to use a tow dolly.
It sucks I haven't registered with supermotors to show pics.
Those numbers sound just fine.

Drill the rivets and replace with 1/2 G8 bolts (you might need to get pan- head bolts to clear the hitch). Center the hitch on the frame and drill away. The two aft holes go beyone the rivet, there is an obvious dent where the rivet goes. I suggest drilling just one of the aft-most holes, bolting the hitch and swinging it into place, drilling and bolting the other side then continuing on with the other six. If you can weld I suggest that you drill holes in some scrap, put the bolts through that and weld them. Then you can drop that in through the frame, slide the hitch up and not have to screw around with a wrench in there. You should have good clearance for the head of a 1/2 or 9/16 bolt inside the frame if you don't want to weld the bolts.

Unfortunately you can't re-use the rivet location for the hitch unless you weld and re-drill the hitch (good) or slot the holes in the hitch (not ideal but probably ok if you're reasonable about it).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts