• Inlovewithsurfin

• Dash_Cam

• Bow

21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1978 4 bt cummins zf 5 speed
258 Posts
Fast forward a few years and I had a good job and some extra cash. The guy I sold bronco to emailed me and asked if I would like to buy bronco back. I of course wanted it back and went and got it. He had driven it some and it eventually developed a head gasket leak. I had it towed back to the house and tore the engine down. I had the heads decked and installed new head gasket and cam shaft. It ran ok but had a week cylinder. I was able to purchase a reman engine from jasper through work. I installed this with a new intake and carburetor.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Car Automotive design

·
Registered
93 FSB 5.8 EFI E4OD Punisher VB 6" BDS Stage II w/DSS 33" MT 4.10 Detroit TT Locker KN TBS JET Chip
170 Posts
Fast forward a few years and I had a good job and some extra cash. The guy I sold bronco to emailed me and asked if I would like to buy bronco back. I of course wanted it back and went and got it. He had driven it some and it eventually developed a head gasket leak. I had it towed back to the house and tore the engine down. I had the heads decked and installed new head gasket and cam shaft. It ran ok but had a week cylinder. I was able to purchase a reman engine from jasper through work. I installed this with a new intake and carburetor.
View attachment 195425
What does it mean to have the "heads decked"?

·
Registered
93 FSB 5.8 EFI E4OD Punisher VB 6" BDS Stage II w/DSS 33" MT 4.10 Detroit TT Locker KN TBS JET Chip
170 Posts
After getting it back together and driving good I started on the interior. I replaced the window felts and door seals. Repaired the worn out steering column and installed a bench seat. I made some cargo panels for the rear with a cargo light.
How difficult was to replace the interior? Did it come with padding for insulation or did you put any down prior to the carpet? I have a 40/20 front seat set off a F-250 Super Duty that I want to install. I might as well do the carpet as well. I have the option of having insulation attached to the carpet and deaden some sound and get insulation.

·
Registered
93 Bronco, 5.0 4:56 35's 5.5 superflex with fox 2.0
116 Posts
I have added front and rear diff protection… as well as a new fuel tank/pump, stainless steel rear brake line, and 6liter tune up,

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Bronco, 5.0 4:56 35's 5.5 superflex with fox 2.0
116 Posts

·
Premium Member
1996 EB, 351w, stock-ish.
4,325 Posts
sorry i've been a little slow to post at the start, y'all. i've got a lot going on over here right now, but next week should be better.

after a short period of time, i was able to put together a bit of a list of things to address:

leaky rear-main seal
no a/c
back window/tailgate sensor problem
leaky back window
incredibly soft steering
engine won't warm up properly
no heater
only one speaker worked
airbag light is on
worn out interior
front bumper is damaged, needs to be replaced

this is from the FS ad. it had a custom roll cage that removed one of the air bag sensors. and then they wrapped it in this cheap foam.
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood

the dash pad was trashed as were the seats
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Steering part Steering wheel

i did a bunch of maintenance with no pics. so bear with me here...

i pretty quickly did a tune up, etc.

heater didn't work - thermostat was installed backwards and the heater core was clogged.

replaced the stereo with a cheap radio, new cheap speakers, and i ran fresh wire to all four of them.

i rebuilt the steering system.

·
Premium Member
1996 EB, 351w, stock-ish.
4,325 Posts
then i had to address the tailgate. it leaked. the sheet metal was sheered. and the window motor didn't work reliably.

this was my first fix. duct tape and i ran wires from the motor to outside of the bronco so i could hit it with a battery.
Hood Automotive lighting Window Grille Automotive tail & brake light

at first i tried to get it welded back together. (spoiler alert: that didn't last)

Automotive parking light Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Trunk

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Bumper Automotive exterior

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Grille Automotive lighting Hood

and with the tire carrier in place, it doesn't really stick out.

Automotive tail & brake light Car Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
After driving it a few years and enjoying it I decided to change it up with this.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior Engineering

Spent several months researching and looking for parts I found this in Wilson on Craigslist. It’s a 4bt out of a 2003 lull fork lift. Not the most desirable 4bt but it was the right price. I also picked up a sbf zf 5 speed from a wrecked 89 f250.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I swapped in the cummins in the fall 2016 and have enjoyed the past few years driving it. I purchased a soft top from softtopper and installed it. Bronco has made some trips to the beach and the cummins has preformed flawlessly. The 5 speed and cummins combination with 3:50 gears and 33in tires cruises great down the highway. I averaged 17-19 mpg depending on how I drive.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Vehicle

Tire Cloud Wheel Land vehicle Sky

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Sky Car

21 - 40 of 92 Posts