Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

I know this is a sore topic but I've been towing a 5,000lb trailer (loaded) w/ my 95 Bronco (351, EAOD, 3.55s, tow pack, quad shock front, weight distro hitch). I know it's a crappy tow vehicle in every way but I have to make due for another season with it. It's really not to bad w/ the weight distro hitch.

Question.. I'd like a stiffer spring for the rear to assist in short distance, low speed towing when the weight distro hitch is off (ie at the camp ground). The rear sinks quite a bit w/ 500lbs on it. I'm looking to spend as little as possible as it would cut into funds for the new future tow vehicle. Is the F-150 spring the same as the Bronco? Do I need to go w/ a 250 spring and is it a drop in w/ the OEM 8.8 rear?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The springs are different, but interchangable. The Bronco's use a 5-leaf 1650lb spring and F150 4x4 could have 1300lb all the way to 2100?lb most of them in a 4-leaf. I don't remember the exact specs of some of the F250 springs, but the 4 or 5 leaf would be fine in a Bronco if you can handle it raising it about 2-3".
BTW it is almost next to imposible to find "correct" Bronco replacement springs that are not just F150 springs, as they have to same dimensions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spring code chart available?

OK, sounds like I could go with either 150 or 250 springs. But they'd have to be 150 springs towards the top of the weight chart. The additional height doesn't bother me.

I've seen spring code charts around for Mustangs. Does anybody know where to locate on of these for Ford Trucks? I assume that the spring code is listed on the door jam like a Ford car.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
What about adding a helper spring? i have never run one but, ive heard good things. Even maybe an Add-a-leaf to raise the rear a bit, but so that it will sit flat with the extra tow weight.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ford quit publishing spring-rates/loaded-rate for truck springs in mid-81. You can go to the Eaton Springs website and look springs up for a F150 and they have the specs listed by the number.
If it is just for towing, I would put some air-bags in the back. That way you can keep the stock ride while not towing and you won't have to deal with possible driveline angle issues/viberations with the taller unloaded ride height of the stiffer springs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Add-a-leaf or bags?

OK, I was looking at the Air-Lift product last night and thought it might work in place of using the F-250 springs. I understand that they leak after a while. Anybody have any really negative experiance or recommend the add-a-leaf in place of the bags?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts