Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded a 4wheeler frame for a 88 f150 4x4.

All it needed was a spindle on the passenger side. I found 2 spindles on e-bay for 25 bucks, they were for a 88 bronco.
Im not competely sure because the f150 spindle isnt next to me, but the bronco spindles look to be shorter, are they?
The f150 is about a hour away from me and I dont want to make the drive with the wrong parts.

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Should be the same spindle.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
As long as the truck is 4x4 and you said they're the same year then they are the same. This is assuming they are both the original Dana44 TTB front end.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
shouldn't be a problem

·
Registered
200 Posts
RLKBOB said:
As long as the truck is 4x4 and you said they're the same year then they are the same. This is assuming they are both the original Dana44 TTB front end.
I agree, I swapped the original D44 unit in my 85 with one from an 88 F150 after a terminal break. Everything was the same except the Brake caliper mounts. The 88 F150 front end was complete minus the hubs and rotors, which I got off my 85 front end and they fit perfectly. I checked the bearing fit on the spindles with a micrometer before trying them and they were identical. But the 85 calipers wouldn't work on the 88 knuckles so I wound up knocking the ball joints loose and swapping out the whole knuckle assembly... other than that it was all interchangable. I was just picky and wanted to still use my 85 calipers... they were brand stinkin new.

·
Banned
19,372 Posts
NOT NECESSARILY.

The spindles for the "normal" hub locks are the same, but if one of the spindles is for the weird '87-early 88 "hat-style" hub locks, they won't swap. For any OTHER years: yes, they're the same, except MAYBE some '94-96.

·
Registered
162 Posts
yeah Steve those oddball hubs are weird. why did they do that for like one year model anyway?

·
Banned
19,372 Posts
:shrug

I guess they thought they might save some money. Those hubs are certainly easier to R&R, so I'm sure they're cheaper to install on the assembly line. But it doesn't take long to realize they're not sturdy enought for a Bronco.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,075 Posts
If I'm reading your profile correctly, you already have an SAS, I am pretty certain that the spindles for the 88 that you found on ebay will not work on your earlier model axle. What year is the front axle from?

kevinj said:
I just traded a 4wheeler frame for a 88 f150 4x4.

All it needed was a spindle on the passenger side. I found 2 spindles on e-bay for 25 bucks, they were for a 88 bronco.
Im not competely sure because the f150 spindle isnt next to me, but the bronco spindles look to be shorter, are they?
The f150 is about a hour away from me and I dont want to make the drive with the wrong parts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts