Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear so many stories of axle/u joint breakage due to the weight of the Bronco. Seeming as the F150 weights a lot less (4600vs3800) that should mean a Dana 44 and 8.8 should be more reliable in the F150. Exactly how much weight does it take to make a difference though? I know someone with a stock Bronco with a 351 that has broken the 8.8 carrier going up a large hill and giving it a bit of gas. I have done the same MANY times and haven't had an issue. That's a good thing but I am still worried about breaking axles, front or rear. I don't think I really do hardcore wheeling compared to most of you, but I do worrying about things breaking. So, taking the weight into account, the 8.8 should be fine, even with locked 38's since there isn't much weight at all in the rear of the truck. The stock solid 44 should be ok with 38's open, but locked should I worry?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I don't know where you're getting those weight figures, but there is no way an F150 comparable to a Bronco weighs 3800 pounds. I don't know what the weight difference is, but on identically optioned vehicles I would guess the Bronco would be 100 pounds more. Maybe 200, but not more then that. If its a long bed standard cab F150 they are probably exactally the same.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Well, it depends on options ALOT.

My 85 was a RCLB, 300, 435, 205, ttb 44, and a 9". No options at all, just vinyl floor mats and an AM/FM radio. It weighed 4250lbs with me and a tank of gas.

My 86 is a SCSB, 300, 435, 205, TTB44, 8.8, with A/C, full interior weighs 5800lbs with me and a tank of gas.

Even the same wheels and tires between the two trucks. This was on the same scale at the local dump, so the scales ARE calibrated, a lot of weight can show up in very little differences.

Justin

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,192 Posts
Well, it depends on options A LOT.
:stupid Fixed.

My 88 f150 weighed 4200 with me and some junk (5 sp mazda)

My 88 bronco weighs 5200 with me and about the same amount of junk in it (c6 tranny)

KC

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, so there is a difference and it seems to be approximately 1000 pounds. I would think that would influence the axles quite a bit.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
38's on an open d44, you'll probably be alright just as long as you're real, REAL nice to it. Locked, you're going to break shit left and right. Stick with 35's and it'll handle a lot more abuse.

·
Registered
274 Posts
My 95 F150 long bed was 4689 with no gas in the front tank and the rear at an 1/8 last time I weighed out at the scrap yard no one in it empty bed and clean cab my old bronco was well over 5000

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
My SCSB with a solid D44, D60 rear, 351W, E4OD, BW case, 37s, and a fairly stripped interior weighed in at 5540 lbs, with me and a passenger, and maybe half a tank of gas.

And as for a locked 8.8 with 38s??? I broke the tubes out the housing with 35s. You could also ask Robbiem about his experience.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Ok, so there is a difference and it seems to be approximately 1000 pounds. I would think that would influence the axles quite a bit.
Nope. not even close.

you are wishing this to be true so that your thought of your axles lasting with 38's might be more valid (the less weight the better for the axles).

reality must be something closer to around 200-400lbs. How do figure this?

1) tell me where the front half of the two vehicles would weigh any different, assuming same engine, tranny, tcase?

2) that leaves the back half, advantage F150, but remember the body and frame are basically the same. What would add weight for the bronco would be:

top- 140lbs
back seat 80 lbs
rear tailgate with glass about 50lbs
added interior carpeting/trim about 25 lbs
rear tire carrier about 20lbs.

only other difference is F150 config....short box would be like the bronco, long box, maybe add about 80 lbs in frame/body for the F150 and if ext. cab, well now we are probably the same.

since I don't even run a hard top or back seat or window/motor in my tailgate, I must be close to an F150 weight at 3800lbs right? Not even close.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR): The maximum allowable weight of the loaded vehicle with payload.
yes, which includes all passenger positions filled, plus a little to spare.

6300is not that much. 3/4t (at least older ones) generally were in the 7-8k range, and 1 ton was usually 9k +

on a scale with you in it and some gas, you're probably around 5400lbs or so.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, my 1 ton axle deal might be back in business, so I think I'll go that route again. I just feel if I'm going to do that, I should just buy an F350 though...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts