Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, another question.

My father has a converted trailer frame that used to be one those converted "redneck" trailers. we are trying to turn it in to a lighter/ lower trailer. we were taking measurements and it looks like the leafs are the same size of the bronco. that got us wondering about some things. I really like how high the F250s sit compared to the bronco. i was considering swapping the leaf springs on the bronco with the leaf springs on the F250. the frame also seems to have a DANA 70 rear axle in it.

Here are my questions:

1. should i put the heavier springs on my truck to achieve the desired lift, and if i should, what would be the most appropriate way to go about it?
1.1 i can just bolt the new spring using the stock mounts.
1.2 I can mount the F-250 brackets in place of the bronco brackets.
1.3 I can use only the front bracket of the F250 since it seems to sit lower on the frame then the broncos

2.would there be any reason to try and recoup the DANA 70 on the bronco? not sure if there would be any benefit to doing this?

3. how would this approach be different from "adding a leaf" or buying new leafs with a build in lift?

·
Registered
577 Posts
the springs should be the same did not see the year of the f250. They are 3'' wide on mine do not remember the length but they will slap right in that I have came in contact with from 79-94. would I do it for a lift?
no just for rear is fine but its gonna ride like a buck board. just rear wont be so bad but still not good if you want front and rear get ready to drive a conestoga. My buddy just did a 1 ton swap and its a damn rail on the trail but good on the road so it depends on what ya doing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply,

I could not tell you what year the F250 is... we bought it already converted. but the bed that was on it had very similar lights and body lines as my 88 bronco. i certainly do not think that it is older then my bronco. i did verify that the width of the leafs is 3" on both the F250 and the bronco.
I am not looking to swap my front end with a solid axle and leaf springs. the idea was that i would swap out the rear leafs, see what kind of lift it yields. and then lift the front end to the appropriate height to match the rear. either by buying longer radius arms or drop down brackets. or a combination of both if required. I do not expect this bronco to ride like a Cadillac, but it is a daily driver so i suppose there are limits to what i am willing to endure...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i understand, i am still going back and forth on it.
A while back i had the opportunity to drive one of those old WWII heavy trucks i kind liked how it drove, made you feel part of the truck...although after 6 months of that same hard hard ride, the novelty might wear off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts