Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a buddy with a 76 F-250 4x4 he wants to sell me cheap. It is the all-time 4x4 model. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm sure its pretty rough, probably only good for a parts truck. He says it's got 360, manual, 209 T-case, 44 front, 60 rear. My questions are:
1) Is this a good D44 for a SAS in my bko? I know there were some is this year range with odd knuckles (or something) that aren't the best option for a SAS.
2)What are the odds that this is a VSS compatable D60 rear? (probably no chance)
3)Is the NP209 T-case similar to the 208 that everyone likes to disassembly and bolt to their 205 to make a doubler?

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
I have a buddy with a 76 F-250 4x4 he wants to sell me cheap. It is the all-time 4x4 model. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm sure its pretty rough, probably only good for a parts truck. He says it's got 360, manual, 209 T-case, 44 front, 60 rear. My questions are:
1) Is this a good D44 for a SAS in my bko? I know there were some is this year range with odd knuckles (or something) that aren't the best option for a SAS.
2)What are the odds that this is a VSS compatable D60 rear? (probably no chance)
3)Is the NP209 T-case similar to the 208 that everyone likes to disassembly and bolt to their 205 to make a doubler?
1. They should be good axles. Make sure the font is an open knuckle axle before commiting.

2. No chance at all, that's a late-80's thing.

3. Never heard of a 209. The full time case that year is a NP203 which has the range box you need for a doubler. It's not a bolt up mod, you need an adapter which is $$$.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,858 Posts
the tranny is also probably an NP435 which is a good unit for wheelin. on the front end also make sure its a hi pinion. ive seen a few that are low pinion and even though it would still work just isnt desireable.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
3. Never heard of a 209. The full time case that year is a NP203 which has the range box you need for a doubler. It's not a bolt up mod, you need an adapter which is $$$.[/QUOTE]

I told him the same thing, he just looked at me like an idiot and said he's sure its a 209(he is a chevy guy)! Oops, I meant 203. I was told I could purchase the adapter kit foa couple hundred $$, but I haven't checked that.

Anyway, the guy wants $500, I'm pretty sure I can get it for $400. That sound like a good investment? He claims it ran good till his dad stole the carb off it for his bko. But it has been sitting for several years.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts