Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

f250 donor questions...

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  BlueBronco 
#1 ·
I am looking at pulling a 351m and c6 from a 78 f250 to go into my 79 Bronco. Does anyone know if there are any major differences (such as motor/tranny-mount locations, overall dimensions, wiring, etc...)? Everything looks the same to me, but I noticed my Haynes' manual shows the fluid capacity of the 250's c6 to be almost double the Bronco's...Also, is it possible to drop the t-case and pull the engine/tranny as 1, or must they be seperated and pulled individually. Thanks in advance. Any help/suggestions are appreciated.
Will

#7 ·
Sorry for the delayed reply...Same oil pan as mine. The f250 is a stepside and has a pretty short wheelbase, so I am hoping everything is the same.Does anyone have any suggestions on doing the swap w/o a level piece of concrete? I have plenty of backyard that is level, but my driveway has about a 5* pitch to it. I do have a level carport, but the truck barely fits under it. I was considering removing all the front body panels/grill/etc. and trying to pullit out under the carport. If I do it in the dirt, I will probably bury some post and use a chain hoist.Anyhow, thanks for all the help.Looking forward to having her in the woods again!
Will

#8 ·
We used to change engines on ny 66 impala in my back yard without concrete as well as others with a tripod setup. Pull then engine and roll the vehicle backwards and roll the new vehicle under it. Start about 8:00 am bedone and partying about 5;00pm. Concrete is better. When on ground always put something under the vehicle to catch what you drop because you will play hell finding it in the grass. I would stay away from unlevel ground unless it is an emergency. Problems develop and things tend to fall off jacks. I used to always figure that it might take a $100.00 no matter how good everthing looked.

#9 ·
Thanks Versatile! I think I may go with removing the whole doghouse and do it under my carport.Did some measuring yesterday, and I think it will work. I will be pulling everything from the 250 this weekend, so hopefully I will have a truck again soon!

#11 ·
YJWill said:
Sorry for the delayed reply...Same oil pan as mine. The f250 is a stepside and has a pretty short wheelbase, so I am hoping everything is the same.Does anyone have any suggestions on doing the swap w/o a level piece of concrete? I have plenty of backyard that is level, but my driveway has about a 5* pitch to it. I do have a level carport, but the truck barely fits under it. I was considering removing all the front body panels/grill/etc. and trying to pullit out under the carport. If I do it in the dirt, I will probably bury some post and use a chain hoist.Anyhow, thanks for all the help.Looking forward to having her in the woods again!
Will
If you have a F250 stepside I'd like to see it Ford never offered a F250 in short wheel base form,sounds like you have a F150 with F250 axles.Are they an 8 lug bolt pattern?
As far as engine,trans and t-case it should be a direct bolt in.

#12 ·
If you have a F250 stepside I'd like to see it Ford never offered a F250 in short wheel base form,sounds like you have a F150 with F250 axles.Are they an 8 lug bolt pattern?
Hmmm...Axles are definatelly 8 lug, d60 rear for sure. Front seems to be d44HD.I have not actually looked at the tilte or the stamp by the door, and there are no emblems on the whole truck. The bed is in horrible shape, so I do not see why anyone would have replaced the original bed with the stepside, so maybe it is a f150... Interesting.

#14 ·
Whats up Gearhead! Yea, the f250(or 150?) is a 4x4.I was planning on buying the whole thing, but it is in Ocoee and not really driveable, and I cannot afford a tow that far.I wouldn't mind having the 60 in the rear of my Bronco, but I don't want to swap the 44hd as it is set up for leaf springs...But of course then I would have 5 lug front and 8 lug rear, so I will probably just keep the 9".

#16 ·
Billz4x4z said:
Ford did have an F250 in 1967 with step side bed, but the were long bed IIRC. Someone could have did a bed swap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.