Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm lookin into gettin a 93-97 f250-350 diesel ext-cab and i'd like to do a 10 inch lift and 40 inch tires... all those yrs had the d50 independend susp. right? so i woul dhave to do a SAS bc the independents u can on;y do a 6 inch... does anyoen have any info on this? i would asume it would be easy to swap out a SA bc its already got a leaf set up? any info would be great... THANKS

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Check around for lifts. Skyjacker makes an 8" lift for the coil sprung TTB's, maybe they make one for the leaf suspension, too. Then you could add a body lift to get the height you want.

·
Registered
48 Posts
i bought a 96 F350 crew cab long bed PSD to be my tow slut to haul my bronco around and i am running 35" Buckshots without any lift at all. i promise you wont flex these trucks out so you aren't gonna NEED that much lift, unless of course you like having to throw things in the bed and have to jump a few feet to get in!

if i were you i would stay far far away from lift kits and do what is called a shackle reversal in the front. it solidly mounts the front of the leaf springs to the frame and put the shackle in the rear and can effectively lift the truck a good 6" (way more lift than you need to run puny lil 40's :toothless ). ORU and Sky Manufacturing both make kits of very high quality. i would go that route b/c instead of replacing your stock springs with stiffer/thicker lift springs you are actually softening your ride.... you also wont need a trac bar. BTW this is all assuming you get the solid D60 up front (which i have one for sale). also you might look into getting superduty stock front springs. they offer a softer ride and will help even more. problem is they are NOT a direct replacement and you will have to move the rear hanger back some but if you do the shackle reversal kit anyways its the best time in the world to do this!

thats just through my experience and will be doing this with my truck hopefully soon.

-cutts-

·
Registered
183 Posts
Fishmanndotcom said:
1. I agree.
2. I didnt know you were on here cutts.
3. Here is a 94 F350 with 9" lift and 42's to help you with judgement.

4. I would personally home fab a 4" shackle reversal and get some 4" leaves. That would be veeeery adequate for 40's.
5. fishy dont you think we need a lot of these smileys on FTE?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
shackle flips are nice but also not very safe and sturdy. i'v known of a few that had their shackles break going around a corner and almost die bc they went the cheaper route. with the shackles pointing down and taking all the body lean around corners isn't the greatest thing.. and the by doing the flip will make the tires off center in the wheel wells... tho i do agree that its an option and thank you for suggesting it! the truck is actualy a truck i'm using to advertise my friends vegie oil company (smarter-fuel) to help ppl understand that vegie puts out the same power as diesel just like.. wow thats a huge truck... and it runs on veg oil! that stuff must really work! :rockon

but i wasnt sure of the sizes lifts compared to tires on superdutys... but i was lookin at a 4 door 10 inch lift 39.5 TSLs and i like that the tires arn;t stuffed....

but i cut up that pic in paint and heres what i'd like to do....

but anyways thanks for all the ideas and help... but if i wer to get an f350 axle outs the same basic yr truck it should be swapped right in?

·
Registered
48 Posts
yes it is a direct swap in... 85.5 to 97 F350 is direct swap in and 85.5 to 91 were kingpin which were uber strong!

you have 2 terms crossed here, i am talking about a shackle REVERSAL not a shackle flip. a shcakle flip (which is what you are referring to) is when you turn the shackle over and the leaf springs are now in a tension setup rather than a compression setup like they come from the factory

it comes highly recommended to do the shackle reversal on a F350 b/c fords shitty design with the A-shackle up front creates a lot of problems

i am just trying to help you out, i have been there done that and i just passing on what i have learned!

yea Raw, I have been on here for a lil bit, not long. i figured since now i have a one ton bronco it has to be considered a full size :toothless i'm gettin real sick of FTE, i got banned again for a week

http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubb...841947&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=1&fpart=1

-cutts-

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oooo!!!! :duh alright sorry about that! i was tired and didn;t really think about it... but i'll have to check that out....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i'm confused exactly what the reversal does? maybe i'm just stupid? :banghead

·
Registered
48 Posts
a shackle reversal relocates the front spring shackles to the rear of the springs. This allows the spring to move freely as it articulates without the opposing force encountered with the shackle located in the factory position at the front of the spring

i know this is a jeep site but it explains it better than i can
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/susp/elkcahs/

-cutts-

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ooo i see.... but they say they arn;t that great on the road and if ur not makin a hardcore off road only truck that it might not be a good idea to do the reversal? and it says u can loose traction easier with the reversal?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yeah im sick of FTE too, and subsequently I have been finding myelf on pirate, here and TDS more and more often. Only reason I still go to FTE is you, pro, ivan, skipped, green, and monster... That new Mod in the 4x4 section is an ass... What happened to Ryan?
So what did you get banned for?

The shackle reversal is for the front. On stock trucks like yours the shackle is up on the front of the leaves, making the axle work in an opposite direction as your rear axle. This worsens the ride quality, but ford did it anyways... The shackle reversal moves the shackle to the stock rear location hanger mount. It replaces the front shackle with a fixed hanger that usually lowers the mounting location about 2-5". So basically it moves the shackle to the rear of the leaves and also lowers the mounting locations of the leaf spring generating lift...

ORU makes a 2" kit for around $600, Sky makes a 3" for about $350 and a 5" for about $480.

Edit: Didnt see your post up there fishy... so ditto, plus a little.

No the shackle reversals are a good idea for road usage, they improve the ride. and losing traction? do you drive around in 4x4? No you dont lose traction.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i read the link from fishmandotcom and its for jeeps but it says u lose traction (when offroading in 4x4) and that its not good on roads

·
Registered
183 Posts
ogre said:
i read the link from fishmandotcom and its for jeeps but it says u lose traction (when offroading in 4x4) and that its not good on roads
That means in 4x4. You arelowing traction in 4x4... you arent in 4x4 on hte road, so it doesnt matter... There will be a slight increase in body roll and maybe in axle wrap if you put it in 4x4 on the pavement...

·
Registered
48 Posts
lol just trust us, it DOES work! i would do that WAY WAY WAY before buying lift springs and stiffening up the ride, plus its a bit cheaper

-cutts-

·
Registered
952 Posts
So the 85 to 97 solid d60's in F350's will directly swap into the place of the ttb dana 50 in the F250? my grandpa might sell his F250 to me pretty soon and it has the D50 in front.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
BlueBronco said:
Hey Fishy! I'm rlh when I'm at fte.:drinkbud

lol hell yea! good to see ya!

yes the D50/D60 swaps are bolt in. the only differences you will find are the brakes. the lines may be different sizes and the calipers are a lil different BUT you can swap the D50 spindles out (knuckles, lockouts, brakes, rotors, etc) to the D60's and you wont have to change anything they even use the exact same bearing. you ask 'how does this kid know?"...... b/c when i bought my D60 it had dually hubs on it and i wanted single wheel, so i took the D60 spindles out and swapped them on to the D50, sold the D50 and bolted the spinldes out to the D60. ppl will gripe and complain that it can't be done but i KNOW it works, i DID IT.

-cutts-

·
Registered
952 Posts
What are some good sites for F250/F350 info?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts