Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I did a Dana 44 SAS on my 89, I went to a 6" lift in the front and didn't have enough money to raise the rear so I have been driving around with a 3" squat (3" lift in the rear). I know I can put F250 springs on to give me more lift.

How much lift will it give me, and how stiff will it be?

·
OMF
2,957 Posts
I think you'd be better off going with a shackle flip.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,270 Posts
Shackle flip is the way to go I would agree.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, where can I find them and how much do they run?

Also will it move my axle forward any?

I just kinda want to stay away from a 6" block.

·
OMF
2,957 Posts
Here is the Sky Mfg. set up, here is the Ruff Stuff set up and Hefty makes some nice ones also.

The cost will run anywhere from $170-$200ish.

Yes it will move the axle forward, but it is easy to move back, just drill out the front hanger and move it back, simple.

My gawd 6" blocks, hell no!!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Raleigh. I need to save some more cause I like the first choice better and there about $250.

When I measure it out I actually have 5.75" lift in the front so I will probably just do the flip kit giving me 4.5" in the rear. I want it to sit close to level.

Maybe it won't move the axle forward too far. lol. Which they site says that really only a problem with aftermarket spring, and I still have factory.

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts
Ok I did a Dana 44 SAS on my 89, I went to a 6" lift in the front and didn't have enough money to raise the rear so I have been driving around with a 3" squat (3" lift in the rear). I know I can put F250 springs on to give me more lift.

How much lift will it give me, and how stiff will it be?
If you are going with a SAS I would recommend doing this:

Purchase 78-79 Bronco Solid axle Deaver 6" lift springs (any company that makes 6" lift springs really, but deaver is what you should go with. It's worth the extra $ for a better ride quality and better flex) and in the rear you can use 2" lift springs + 3" blocks. What this does is since the rear springs are 2" larger anyway, you end up with 7" of lift in the rear (2" of original height over front springs + 2" Lift springs + 3" Blocks" and when you combine a 6" lift with the 79' coil buckets on a 80-96 truck, you end up with 1 extra inch of lift. So you'll be even at 7" front and rear.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you are going with a SAS I would recommend doing this:

Purchase 78-79 Bronco Solid axle Deaver 6" lift springs (any company that makes 6" lift springs really, but deaver is what you should go with. It's worth the extra $ for a better ride quality and better flex) and in the rear you can use 2" lift springs + 3" blocks. What this does is since the rear springs are 2" larger anyway, you end up with 7" of lift in the rear (2" of original height over front springs + 2" Lift springs + 3" Blocks" and when you combine a 6" lift with the 79' coil buckets on a 80-96 truck, you end up with 1 extra inch of lift. So you'll be even at 7" front and rear.
SAS Is already done. lol

I bought 78-79 Superlift 6" lift springs, and used my 89 coil buckets but I only got 6 inches of lift. I have a bronco but did the SAS and lifting on my 89 f150 supercab (in the picture <<) cause of the extra weight from the Supercab it pushed it back to 6" of lift.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Here is the Sky Mfg. set up, here is the Ruff Stuff set up and Hefty makes some nice ones also.

The cost will run anywhere from $170-$200ish.

Yes it will move the axle forward, but it is easy to move back, just drill out the front hanger and move it back, simple.

My gawd 6" blocks, hell no!!
even cheaper shackle flip:
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-33261-1980-96-oem-front-of-spring-hanger-f-150-f-250.html

x2 (could be found cheaper used) replace the rear hangers with front(rear hangers) and center the hole in the frame with the hole in the bracket

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wouldn't you still have to have some sort of shackles?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok i got it.

What does it mean by bad shackle angle?

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts
SAS Is already done. lol

I bought 78-79 Superlift 6" lift springs, and used my 89 coil buckets but I only got 6 inches of lift. I have a bronco but did the SAS and lifting on my 89 f150 supercab (in the picture <<) cause of the extra weight from the Supercab it pushed it back to 6" of lift.
Yea you have to use the 78-79 coil buckets. I think you misread it ;) The 78-79 coil buckets will give you the extra inch of lift, Hence putting you as 7". Again as far as cheap & leveled, what I have listed is your best option. Plus instead of having only 3, or 4, or 5 inches lift, you'll be at 7. Also, I'm not sure how those superlift coils ride, but i'd aim for skyjacker or deaver if you are going to replace the springs anyway. Both companies have spent a TON of money on R&D, and it shows in the quality of thier products.

Ok i got it.

What does it mean by bad shackle angle?
it's the angle in which the shackle is with the line from eye to eye of the leaf spring-

We'll say for shits and giggles that the front spring hanger is parallel with the frame facing towards the front. This is 0° - and the hanger parallel with the frame facing towards the rear is 180°. The higher the degree of the shackle, the stiffer the spring rate becomes, but it also allows more "Droop" - it allows the hanger to fall down more, hence your axle will articulate further. So you have to find a common meeting ground as to what you want out of it. Most people who crawl their trucks or offroad and look for decent articulation go for something in the ballpark of 135° from the frame- which is halfway facing directly rearward.

Unfortunately this is the wrong way to calculate shackle angle (from the frame) but it allows you to have a better basic understanding. It actually goes from the angle from the hanger, and the control line being from one spring eye to the other.

See these pics for better understanding of what I mean...

Here is a picture diagram explaining what I just did-

Here is a low shackle angle, decreasing articulation, but increasing ride quality (giving you a better final spring rate)

Here is a common shackle angle for offroaders (this is about 135° like I said earlier), again this will allow greater "droop" of the axle (the shackle dropping down allows the axle to articulate further) but because of the tension facing rearward, it will increase the spring rate (you'll notice it when the suspension compresses going over bumps), or in basic terms, the total overall stiffness of your set up-

Also the common meeting ground between the 2 - allowing only the flex of the springs themselves, but also not changing the spring rate & stiffness would be at 90°- here you can see that (this isn't exactly 90° but you get the point...)

Also mixed up in all of that is the degree of your pinion angle (which is big for pinion lubriction) and just as imprtant- caster angle. That's a whole nother' topic in and of itself, but I felt it important to better explain.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks Smok3y, the different pictures helped.

I read up on the SAS before doing it and was under the inpression the 89 TTB coil buckets were shorter giving more lift. Thats why I kept the 89 coil buckets. However I still have the 79 coil buckets and shock towers, so its something I can change later if I want to run something bigger than 35's.

Right now I think I would go with the shackle in the middle, my truck is mostly a hwy truck with occasional off roading. (deep ruts and mud).

Also the Superlift coil springs are amazing. It rides just a good as my uncles 1990 2wd pickup, and stiff enough for off roading. Last week I hit a pot hole (about middle of shin deep) it was full of water and I didn't know it was there, and it had a sudden drop off. I hit it doing about 5-8 mph, the truck didn't bottom out and at the same time didn't try to break my neck.

BTW I just have the single shock on each side, I don't have the quad shocks

·
Registered
484 Posts
Is it ok to tow a trailer with the shackle flip? I thought I read somewhere that it's not good to tow if you have done the shackle flip. SCRebel, nice looking truck.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is it ok to tow a trailer with the shackle flip? I thought I read somewhere that it's not good to tow if you have done the shackle flip. SCRebel, nice looking truck.
Thanks man, I got it from my dad. We fixed it up together then he sold it to me for $500. lol

And thats a good question, I didnt think about asking:doh0715:. Cause I tow a 22' deck boat in the summer and a 16' hunting/fishing boat in the winter/summer.

·
OMF
2,957 Posts
I don't see any reason that you could not tow, I tow a travel trailer with mine and have had no issues at all.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alright! Cause my deck boat is a 1982 tri-hull. Its a heavy mother.

And thanks guys for all your help, I am going with the shackle flip, instead of the 250 springs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts