Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 876 Posts

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my thread on my body swap

Last update 11-18-10

Page 1: Pics of donor chassis and body. Plus most of the tear down of the bronco
Page 2: Removing the bronco body from the frame. Tearing down the 69 and placing the 69 cab on the bronco frame
Page 3: Couple pics of the bronco before I started the tear down. No real progress.
Page 4: Mounting the cab to the frame, putting the clip and hood on. Plus the beginning of the fab for the bed.
Page 5: More bed Fabrication, mounting the front clip. Hooked up the brakes. Figuring out steering
Page 6: Rear Main Seal replacement, cleaning up some of the harness
Page 7: Firewall harness hole and putting the motor in.
Page 8: Bolting the motor/trans together/finishing the bed and mounting it/putting on front bumper/on the trailer to come home!
Page 9/10: Doing under the hood wiring and putting the 40's on :thumbup
Page 11/12 Dealing with the in dash harness and trying to figure out what to do about wiring the ignition/steering column
Page 13: Radiator is in and I've figured out the tail lights, brake lights, and reverse lights.
Pages 14-16 misc bs'in.
Page 17 quick update picture
Page 19 update picture of the radiator removed and trans cooler installed and then install of the Radiator
Page 22"ish" Charging issues.. no pictures
Page 24 Charging issues and a bad oil leak. Possible RMS was not installed right.
Page 26 Oil leak is worse Motorcycle died... (2 months and $1000 later it's fixed) Charging issues FIXED!!!!
Pages 27-32 misc bs'in
Page 33 Work party.. Changed the oilpan gasket. (was not a RMS issue) plus changed the trans pan with a deep sump
EDIT

List of things still needing to be done

Replace the dead 3G 130A alternator I purchased. <--- need to get another one.
Mount the electric fan to the radiator. (possibly swap the fan to a different fan shroud)
Get a fan controller and wire it in <-- Marc has one for me.
Mount the gas pedal and run the throttle cable
Run the Speedo cable
Mount the head light switch
Run the NSS wires into the cab cleanly and out of the way
wire up the windshield wipers
attach muffler to exhaust pipe and hang it. (Well just need to finish welding it.
remove the broken bench seat and install Bucket seats (need the roll cage installed for this) <--- partialy there
Install belts/harnesses (I can install the lap belts now)
Plug the open vacuum ports.[/ss]
Put 75w 3ohm resistors in the TAB/TAD sensors
Mount the ECU somewhere
Mount the MAP sensor
Fab/mount the Air cleaner
Install new Transmission pan.
Zip tie the bronco dash cluster in place until I can buy aftermarket gauges.
Put the hood back on
replace the windshield
registration and insurance

Below are links to other posts with information I may need. I'm putting them here so I don't have to keep searching for them and not find them. :toothless

http://www.ezwiring.com/wiring_harness.html

yo;
for now here are some;
Link for headlight/tail light wiring diagram
here is a simple way to do it. At the IGN SW you will find the following
Link for Ignition wiring

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok. Quick run down.. (For those who don't know the whole story)

last year my ex wife and I split and she got the bronco in the divorce.. Well she hit some hard times and asked me to help her sell it.. Well she was asking a ridiculous low price..

Well I couldn't let it go away and have some schmuck drive it around after all the time and money I've put into it. However every time I look at the bronco it reminds me of her.. (She wanted it painted red and cosmetically is responsible for the way it is.) So I've decided to ditch the body and put something a little more "me" :toothless So I am planning to put a different body on the bronco frame..

Donor frame/drive train info:

1987 Bronco (of course)
1996 351w
1979 C6 (I believe it's a 79)
SAS'ed with a Dana 44 and 9" with 4.10's =( (I do plan to upgrade to 1 tons)
Running 40" boggers.

Donor Body

1969 Ford F250 Camper special
No motor/trans.
Body isn't straight (But who wants a cherry body if you're going to wheel?!)
Needs to be cleaned.
Interior isn't that bad.. I like it.. I'm sure it'll look a lot better when it's all cleaned up.

So I plan to mount the cab in the stock location and we plan on cutting the bed into sections, then welding it back together so we have a super short bed..

Can't say how soon it's going to be done, but I'm excited and looking forward to it.. I've already begun doing little things to get ready for it.

I'll try and post pics and keep everyone updated...

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Donor Drive train.

Well the ex took it and the bracket we made to hold the track bar wasn't up to par and it broke.. I told her how it needed to be fixed but she didn't do it and had it fixed all ghetto style and it ended up breaking the frame.. So I have to remove the motor to be able to really fix the frame right.. Plus the 5.8 has a RMS leak.. Plus the tranny needs a FMS. To remove the engine I have to remove the front clip.. So that way I'll be that much closer to the body swap. :toothless

1 1/2 - 2 years ago before the SAS

Bringing it home on the trailer

Donor Body

These are pics of how it sits right now.. It needs to be cleaned up and what not.. But you get the idea..

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok sorry about these pics.. I only had my blackberry.. But I didn't want to miss taking pics

The work begins....

I took off the 40's and put 31's on the front and 33's on the rear. (I have to lower it as much as possible so I can pull the motor)

Front bumper was welded on so well I had to cut the frame to get it off..

Broken track bar mount

Broken Frame

So today I cut the front bumper off, unhooked the battery and drained the radiator. I was going to do more but after being splashed with coolant I got cold and wanted to give up..

Tomorrow I plan to take the dash off so I can get the wiring harness out..

But that's enough for today..

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok all.. It's a little after 10 on Sat morning.. Going outside to do more work..

I stopped by harbor freight for some gloves but picked up some other stuff.. (I'm missing screw drivers and what not) So I gotta organize the tools first.. :banghead

Will post pics when I'm done for the day.

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok.. We're done for the day.

Sorry I'm not posting pics right now.. I'm taking Froggmann and Cucamongan out to the local taco place for helping me out.. Unfortunately Ziggy couldn't go eat with us.. he has to head home. but he rocked it!

I'll post pics later after food!

Thanks again to Ziggy, Cucamongan and Ken! (Froggmann)

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All the pics from today are located here.. http://www.supermotors.net/registry/22092/73577

There are a lot of em.. So obviously I'm not going to post them all on the thread but will do what I can. :thumbup

Here's a couple shots before I started..

This morning I was thinking how my tool cart is a disaster and how I'm missing stuff.. So I stopped by harbor freight and bought some stuff..

My cart is a wreck and some new cheapie tools on the left.

Here are the all the mismatched tools and old stuff that I took out.. Plus there's a bag of sockets and wrenches that didn't belong in my cart.. They are supposed to be in my Craftsman box in the house.

Bottom drawer cleaned up

Middle drawer

2 top drawers

Top of cart

All cleaned up and ready to go!

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh yea.. I'm wearing scrubs cause they were free and it saves me from ruining a pair of clothes. :thumbup

I removed these.

and these

looking more and more empty

Then Ziggy showed up and jumped right in and started helping!

Then Greg (Cucamongan) showed up and was eager to help

Removing the front clip

Now we can start the process to remove the engine

Ziggy taking a nap.. (nah he was doing all the under car stuff.. He rocks!

Setting a strap to hold the trans.. (The other straps are going in an "X" to hold the axle centered on the frame

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Starting to hoist the engine up..

Caught up on the oil filter. =)

Cleared of everything

Out of the way

Right as we get the engine out.. Look who shows up.. Ken! Froggmann.. :thumbup

We were checking the front main seal on the trans.. It wasn't leaking but I'll change it out anyways.. Might as well.. I have the seal and the motor is out of the way

Discussing what I can remove from the engine..

Discussing next plan of attack.. I want the wire harness from under the dash!

Ziggy on the right side and Cucamongan on the left side.

We're hung up on something

Almost there

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There it is.. The monster of a harness.. It has some stuff on it that I need to find out what it is.. Like that gold box that looks like a small ecu.. :shrug

Here's a random shot of the front yard now compared to it was when we started.

Getting ready to move the bronco.

Clear!

1...2...3... GO!

uh oh..

*Waiting for the rest of the pics to upload* Will continue when they are done.

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wah wah wah.. It didn't go up all the way

Me trying to strap it up.. Didn't work though.. Wish I had a come-a-long..

Next best thing..

Put a big tire between the 2 bumpers and have Ziggy push it up.

Almost there

Yusssss!

Removing the tie down straps so I can strap it down for the ride to the other place where we are doing the body swap.

Looks a lot different now then we I brought it home

Last pic of the day.. small group photo.. Job well done.. Thanks were given and I offered to take everyone to dinner...

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The dogs wanted to help to, but they couldn't.. =)

Once again thanks to Ziggy, Cucamongan and Froggmann. Without you guys I know I wouldn't have gotten that much done..

Also thanks to my g/f Megan for taking all the pics.. She rocks!

Now tomorrow I'm taking it to where the 69 body is.. Not sure how much we'll get done besides transporting it, but I'll see what happens..

·
Registered
550 Posts
Wow that's a lot of pictures!!! Thanks for posting them all, it was fun looking through them. Keep up the good work and keep the pics coming!

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow that's a lot of pictures!!! Thanks for posting them all, it was fun looking through them. Keep up the good work and keep the pics coming!
:thumbup

I usually don't stop to take pics.. I'm glad my g/f was there.. She had the camera and was randomly taking pics.. I asked her if she could take a bunch cause everyone likes to see pics.. :thumbup

nice job guys!
Thanks.. however we still have a long way to go. The more I get into it and think about it, the more involved I realize it is.. However I'm in no hurry and it'll get done when it's done.

1 - 20 of 876 Posts