Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got a "cant pass up" deal on rebuilding, locking, gearing, etc my D60/10.25 from Jarrod(Broncopassion). That means I really need to get my butt in gear, and upgrade some necessary items b4 the 1-ton stuff gets installed.

I started another thread on 1-ton braking stuff, and Steve83 brought to my attention the possibility of doing a Hydroboost setup.

After countless emails and phone calls to A1-Cardone, http://www.leepowersteering.com/, http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.com/index.html, my local hydro shop, and a few wrecking yards in Sacramento, I located all the parts.

I just bought the Hydroboost unit from a yard in Sacramento. It's off of a '97 F450, with 75k on the odometer. It had the lowest mileage, so I decided to take the gamble on a wrecking yard unit. If it turns out to be a lemon, Checker has one for a decent price. Shipping included, I got it for under $100:chili:

The only custom parts will be some upgrades, to my sag pump, and a custom pressure line going from the power steering pump, to the hydroboost unit itself.

The sag pump, needs a couple of extra ports added to it. 1 for a return line, and 1 to be able to run a remote resevoir...Raf made a good suggestion on the remote resevoir, and he should have the part I need. He just needs to dig it out of his parts bin. The pump also has to be able to move a considerable amout of fluid(I'm also upgrading to hydro assist steering in the near future). Lee Power Steering suggested somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 GPM. Getting the flow increased, and the welding costs next to nothing, but I'm gonna go ahead an have them rebuild the pump as well. I dont want to take any chances there. It's still cheap as hell. It's less than half the price of those shiny AGR pumps.

Steve83 has enough diagrams on his supermotors site, so I'll at least have something to reference if I hit a snag.

The best part is, I should be able to keep the price down near $325, and that's alot better than the price of this: http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-32599_hydroboost_system.htm/?o=&st=hydroboost&sy=

Who knows, maybe I'll turn this into my very 1st tech writeup:toothless

I just realized this thread is pretty gay without pics. Oh well:goodfinge

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
derrick36 said:
I just realized this thread is pretty gay without pics. Oh well:goodfinge
:stupid

Sounds pretty nice man, I wish I had enough know-how to do all that kind of stuff. I'm fretting over installing some new calipers and rotors next week :brownbag

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
-Spazmatic- said:
:stupid

Sounds pretty nice man, I wish I had enough know-how to do all that kind of stuff. I'm fretting over installing some new calipers and rotors next week :brownbag

Sheeeeeit! You assume I know what I'm doing. I just figured work is only about a mile or 2 away...I can walk if all else fails. Plus who really needs brakes:shrug

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Yeah, they're overrated anyhow.

·
FSB warrior
6,116 Posts
derrick36 said:
Sheeeeeit! You assume I know what I'm doing. I just figured work is only about a mile or 2 away...I can walk if all else fails. Plus who really needs brakes:shrug
My brother in law would agree with that statement... proof is in the 68' mustang he sold me. Maybe thats why it was last registered in 99 though huh??

Good luck with the swap, now when your PS goes out you have no brakes as well (one of our bread vans at work did that intermittently... it was a blast!)

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
81Bronk36 said:
Good luck with the swap, now when your PS goes out you have no brakes as well (one of our bread vans at work did that intermittently... it was a blast!)

That's the number 1 reason, I'm getting the rebuild. After that, I'm not worried about it, but just throwing in the wrecking yard pump I have, wasnt a chance I was going to take.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Which yard in Sac did you get the booster from?

Thats one thing I like about the place, On the east side of town theres wrecking yards everywhere. A bunch of good self service yards, and then blocks and blocks and blocks of full service wrecking yards. Most all of them specializing in one brand whch makes it very easy.
Theres a great one on Hoppy that only has new trucks.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MikE2 said:
Which yard in Sac did you get the booster from?

Thats one thing I like about the place, On the east side of town theres wrecking yards everywhere. A bunch of good self service yards, and then blocks and blocks and blocks of full service wrecking yards. Most all of them specializing in one brand whch makes it very easy.
Theres a great one on Hoppy that only has new trucks.
http://www.subwaytruckparts.com/

I found them thru car-part.com. The first guy I talked to yesterday, wanted a core, but I got a different guy today, that said since they had 5 that he really didnt give a shit about the core charge.

They have 5 listed at $75. One more from a '97 but they didnt know the mileage.

·
TTB for short
2,189 Posts
I assume you mean a '97 F-Super Duty

aren't they 10 lug?

·
TTB for short
2,189 Posts
derrick36 said:
I dont really care what the correct name is. It comes up as F450 on car-part.com. Did the not have 450s and 550s in the mid/late 90s?

What does it being a 10 hole have anything to do with it?

'99 and up.... no biggy just a pet peeve of mine

my apologies:doh0715:

·
Registered
912 Posts
On the hydroboost if the engine goes off do you lose pressure for the brakes?

·
green ones make me horny
11,152 Posts
aqwe shit derrick is working on brakes. damn i am glad im in florida. make sure you dont run over any of your sheep.

no the brakes should not fail when the engine is off, just for the fact that the lines will be presurized and if there is no relief valve they should stay that way

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Franklin said:
On the hydroboost if the engine goes off do you lose pressure for the brakes?
They work but its just like vacuum breaks, you have to push very hard. I would even say harder, for them to stop compared to vacuum breaks

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
derrick36 said:
...The sag pump, needs a couple of extra ports added to it. 1 for a return line, and 1 to be able to run a remote resevoir...Raf made a good suggestion on the remote resevoir, and he should have the part I need. He just needs to dig it out of his parts bin...
Hey, do you have a link on how you'd go about doing the remote reservoir swap? I'm putting a sag pump on in the process of doing the Tronco conversion, but I'm also planning on adding a York compressor I had laying around, and where I wanted to mount the compressor will interfere with the check/fill port for the PS pump. Being able to mount a remote PS reservoir up on the back of the York would definitely make things a little neater and easier. :rockon

1 - 20 of 33 Posts