Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a while back (years ago), I pulled a factory transmission cooler off a 96ish or so F350 truck with ambulance package at the junkyard. I finally got around to replacing my 1992 Bronco factory cooler with tow package and have a couple of questions...

The 92XLT tow package cooler is tiny compared to what I just swapped in, btw.

The cooler has similar dimensions and plate size to B & M 70298, I haven't been able to find much info about this cooler online via the stamped part number, but it appears it was an option for "heavy duty trans cooling" on F250-350 94-97 trucks.

This is the part number: F6TH-7A095-AB

This is the same exact one I just swapped in:http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-Ford-Automatic-Transmission-Cooler-F4TZ-7A095-C-F6TH-7A095-AB-/381149511672

It looks similar to the Explorer cooler swaps in some of these threads but looks like it has more radiator like fin volume. The Explorer swap coolers look like my stock tow package one but much larger. The fins on those look thick and don't bend easily.

It has 15 total flat plates and fins approximately 2.5" wide. Any idea how this stacks up against the B & M 70298 or Derale 15900? The Derale was my initial choice, but it wouldn't clear my grill without clearancing. Not to mention I paid like 10 dollars for the cooler and it was practically new.

I've already ordered a 9" diameter 700cfm fan that i'll be attaching as a pusher and controlling via a thermostatic probe that ideally has a on temp of 180* and off at 160* for those long grades and sand dune lugging up and down the dunes.

1.Any suggestions for a price valued thermostat probe that presses in the fins? I want to keep it simple and don't want to do any additional plumbing.

2. Anyone familiar with this cooler, and if so could you share some specs or info about it?

Stock 92 tow package one..

·
Registered
754 Posts
My 96 cooler setup

Stock 96 cooler on the left is F4TH-7A095 ~10x8x2

The fan cooler is B&M70297 13.5x9x3.5” thick including fan. Fits with no trimming of the grill and still has a ½” clearance to the A/C condenser.
Both coolers are mounted with ½” rubber isolators which reduces the clearances.
I have used the 70298 cooler on a different vehicle and other than being smaller it has a thickness of 4” which caused difficulty mounting. The extra ½” turned out to be a big deal.
BTW the small cooler is shown in mockup is a low cost tube/fin power steering unit from Summit.
Note that I mounted the cooler upside down which normally leads to formation of air pockets which are hard to purge. Sometimes the installation issues require compromise. In the case of the E4OD it worked out and the setup has been fine for over 10 years and I have not had any temp issues. I guess the setup did self-purge? My experience says mount the cooler with fittings on the side to be engineering correct. Good luck doing that.
BTW, that stock cooler can be found in most junk yards as the stock cooler for any F250/350. Cost is around $10 typically. A good flush with solvent will verify if the thing is good. I have used the junk yard cooler on other vehicles and did get one that had a crack and had to be trashed. The Ford cooler is a good choice for a passive cooler. The come with rubber mounts. Getting the installed tubing will save chasing for fittings and tubing. JY don’t charge for tubing.
Tips:
For a daily driver in a cold climate then a thermostat before the cooler is advised to allow the trans to warm up quickly My desert only 96 does not use one. My Jeep and 72 Bronco live in Colorado and both have the thermostat.
For a stat use the temp switch needs to be in the trans pan because the trans will get hot long before the cooler switch knows it is happening. Just ignore the B&M switch, anyway it’s a 170F unit and I like a 180 one.
Paul

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks PWM and Pfun :beer

I drove the truck to work today, and noticed a larger differential between coolant and trans temp. The transmission ran cool to begin with, but now it has even more agressive cooling. I just got the fan in too, we'll see how that goes :thumbup

·
Registered
754 Posts
Your stock one is a stacked plate cooler, the one you put in is a plate and fin cooler.
====
Not true. The 96 Bronco HD cooler F4TH-9A9095 HA is a plate & Fin cooler. The F250 ones I am pulling, so far, are all 9TH-7A095-AB and they are all simple plate units with no fins. And the B&M ones I mentioned are plate & fin.
Passive (non fan) coolers have less fins per inch and sure enough that is true for the coolers I mentioned. The Bronco cooler has way less fins per inch than the B&M ones.
Paul

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
====
Not true. The 96 Bronco HD cooler F4TH-9A9095 HA is a plate & Fin cooler. The F250 ones I am pulling, so far, are all 9TH-7A095-AB and they are all simple plate units with no fins. And the B&M ones I mentioned are plate & fin.
Passive (non fan) coolers have less fins per inch and sure enough that is true for the coolers I mentioned. The Bronco cooler has way less fins per inch than the B&M ones.
Paul

Just for the sake of discussion and clarification, the part number I posted shows to not be available on the buyers guide from Ford as an option for any 92-96 Bronco. Just F250-350 94-97 with heavy duty trans cooling cooling option

The F4TH-9A9095 HA number that PWM posted is not what I had on nor what I just installed. I have a 92 Bronco. The 9TH-7A095-AB he seems to be pulling off F250's also is not what I just installed.

The number I posted is definitely a plate and fin, and has many more fins in a traditional radiator type fin as opposed to any of the stock Bronco ones i've seen. :popc1:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts