Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled a factory Grey overhead console and headliner from a '96 Bronco XLT last week and mounted it in mine today.

The only reason I bother posting this is because unless I've overlooked it somewhere, I thought Grey ones didn't exist, only tan ones from Eddie Bauers.

The one I pulled it from is exactly like mine, a burgandy and silver 2 tone '96 XLT. I believe the build date on it was 9/95.

Compared to all of the pics I've seen, this is indeed a Bronco console as it has the mesh pocket in the back.
It has not been painted or dyed. As mentioned, I got the grey headliner too and it has the factory cut-out.

Like I said, maybe this is common knowledge and I just overlooked it. If that's the case, sorry 'bout that.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sure, I'll try to get some tomorrow.

If I have time, I'll take it down and shoot the underside of it with the part #.

I guess I'll have to find a place to host some pics huh?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I spent alot of time looking for a Bronco console and never once did I run across or even hear of a grey one, only the EB tan. I ended up finding a tan one and painting it grey with the SEM coating and it looks great. You'd never know it wasn't factory grey unless you chipped off some of the coating. Are you sure it wasn't originally tan? Ineteresting find if it was indeed factory grey.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
http://www.supermotors.net/18312

Here are some pics.

Headliner and console still need to be cleaned up.

If it has indeed been dyed, the guy did a heck of a job on it and cutting the headliner.

Regardless, I got a good deal for $30.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I live about 45 mins from Knoxville

·
Registered
473 Posts
ok stupid question. I have a 94bko xlt. do i have the same wiring in the roof the overhaed console setup or was that specific to the e.b.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
It really is interesting because my '96 dealer brochure specifically shows 1) EB are only mocha interior, and 2) only EB's have the overheard console. So I wonder if this truck was a factory order where the purchaser insisted on getting an overhead console put in????

·
Registered
352 Posts
hummmm

Great, now I want one! But tan would work for me.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Your install pics could be a duplicate of mine. When I changed the color of the console I took it completely apart prior to painting and sprayed both sides before putting it back together. You really can't tell it isn't factory grey.

I think the give away that this isn't factory is the way the headliner was cut. I saw many many headliners that were missing the console in the junkyards before finally scoring mine. Every factory cut headliner had an even cut all the way around about an inch inboard of where the console hits it. The way yours is cut is the same way I did mine. If you look at the rear cut you'll see it's notched out for the mounting tab instead of the headliner being cut all the way to the back. I did mine like that too because I was scared to cut anymore then I needed to.

If you look at this pic from Steve83 you'll see what i'm talking about for the factory headliner cutout.

Either way you got a great deal on the console and headliner.

BTW... That loose netting is very easy to tighten up, it's just stretched over some pegs on the backside.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Perhaps that clears it up.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
857 Posts
...or it was a special order/ dealer installed console for an insistant customer, no pre-cut grey headliner available so the mechanic would have to cut.

·
Registered
447 Posts
:doh0715:My 96 XLT has a factory gray headliner and console. Gray leather seats and carpet as well. Since it is a one owner, I guess they made some that way at the factory.
I should have read the original post more closely or at least looked at the photos. I do have a factory gray head liner but the console is the center console between the buckets. Sorry, for the mistake.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Never knew of that option very nice though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
ok stupid question. I have a 94bko xlt. do i have the same wiring in the roof the overhaed console setup or was that specific to the e.b.

I would also like to know the answer to that question, since I also have a 94 XLT.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts