Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up a few key fobs for my wife's 1998 Expedition and following the website on how to code them, I came across directions to sync up a key fob to a 1995 Bronco, which I have. I've owned the truck since '05 and never had a keyless entry remote, nor alarm system on it. The prev. owner never mentioned it either. So I said WTH, I'll try it out:

1. Turn key to "On" position
2. Jump the two pin connectors just below the center dash, above the accelerator pedal, in the gray harness not connected to anything
3. The doors will lock and unlock activating key fob sequence
4. Press the lock button on new key fob (doors "should" lock)
5. Turn key back to off position.

Well, I went through the sequence to step 4 (hearing step 3 actually work made me excited) and the new fob I have did nothing when I pressed the lock button. So I think I've come to the conclusion that my Bronco really doesn't have keyless entry/factory alarm....

Or do I???:whiteflag

·
Registered
190 Posts
I don't think the Expedition remotes don't work for it. Physically they are a little smaller I believe, that is how you can tell the difference.

·
Registered
9,935 Posts
You probably just have the wrong remote.Check for the keyless entry module. If you pull the cover that's under the dash bezel you can see it right behind where the cubby goes.

·
Super Moderator
26,992 Posts
yo Jay,

as Poorboyz & pfun mentiuoned, the Expo uses a diff remote, Programming Procedure & most likely, Module;

Programming Procedure & Transmitter (FOB) Types & Images, Bronco (Type 2 in 94-96) & other Ford (in 92-99)
Source: by AccessoryMan at http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=3290&s=19752#content

98 Expo uses the Type 6 and Bronco uses Type 2

The remote entry receiver module is located in the LH side of the lower instrument panel (04320) to the right of the steering column, just above the driver's right foot area. To Disconnect; disco.. the three electrical connectors and the antenna connectors and the antenna connector from the module. To Remove, remove two bolts attaching the module to its support bracket and remove the module.
by Ford
Module pics

Source: by Mikey350 @ http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/859658

pic w/harness by Steve83

Programming Procedure & Connector Location Diagram, Bronco, 92-96; "From the Ford service CD: Programming, Electronic Door Lock Control Processor Note: The remote entry features will not function when the key is in the RUN or ACCESSORY position. To unlock the driver's door, press the UNLOCK button on the transmitter (which is programmed into the remote entry receiver module) once. This will also disarm the anti-theft system, if equipped. To unlock all doors, press the UNLOCK button on the transmitter twice. The second depression must be within five seconds of the first UNLOCK depression. If more than five seconds have elapsed since the first depression of the UNLOCK button, pressing the UNLOCK button again will only unlock the driver's door. To turn on interior lamps (13776), press either UNLOCK or PANIC. To lock all doors, press the LOCK button on the transmitter once. To confirm that doors have locked, press LOCK button again, within five seconds of the first depression. This will beep the horn (13832), flash the parking lamps and lock all doors again. To activate the personal security alarm, press the red PANIC button. The horn will beep and parking lamps (13201) will flash for a maximum of two minutes, forty-five seconds. To deactivate the personal security alarm, press the red PANIC button again or turn the ignition switch (11572) ON. Note: The remote entry receiver module erases all previous transmitters from memory when the transmitters are programmed or reprogrammed. The remote entry receiver module can store up to four transmitters in memory. To program (or reprogram) transmitter(s) into the remote entry receiver module, perform the following steps: 1. Turn key to the ON or ON/ACCESSORY position and momentarily short the two terminals of the program connector (C4) (a two-pin connector taped to the wire assembly connected to the remote entry receiver module, approximately 6 inches from the remote entry receiver module). All doors should lock then unlock. Remove shorting pin. 2. Press any button on transmitter. All doors should lock then unlock to verify that the transmitter has been programmed. If door locks do not respond, press button again (up to three times maximum with the same transmitter). 3. Repeat Step 2 to program additional transmitters into the remote entry receiver module (up to four transmitters maximum). 4. Key off. All doors should lock then unlock. 5. Check operation..."
Source: by Ford via miesk5

More Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) LINKs in my site @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=124

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
yo Jay,

as Poorboyz & pfun mentiuoned, the Expo uses a diff remote, Programming Procedure & most likely, Module;

Programming Procedure & Transmitter (FOB) Types & Images, Bronco (Type 2 in 94-96) & other Ford (in 92-99)
Source: by AccessoryMan at http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=3290&s=19752#content

98 Expo uses the Type 6 and Bronco uses Type 2

The remote entry receiver module is located in the LH side of the lower instrument panel (04320) to the right of the steering column, just above the driver's right foot area. To Disconnect; disco.. the three electrical connectors and the antenna connectors and the antenna connector from the module. To Remove, remove two bolts attaching the module to its support bracket and remove the module.
by Ford
Module pics

Source: by Mikey350 @ http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/859658

pic w/harness by Steve83

Programming Procedure & Connector Location Diagram, Bronco, 92-96; "From the Ford service CD: Programming, Electronic Door Lock Control Processor Note: The remote entry features will not function when the key is in the RUN or ACCESSORY position. To unlock the driver's door, press the UNLOCK button on the transmitter (which is programmed into the remote entry receiver module) once. This will also disarm the anti-theft system, if equipped. To unlock all doors, press the UNLOCK button on the transmitter twice. The second depression must be within five seconds of the first UNLOCK depression. If more than five seconds have elapsed since the first depression of the UNLOCK button, pressing the UNLOCK button again will only unlock the driver's door. To turn on interior lamps (13776), press either UNLOCK or PANIC. To lock all doors, press the LOCK button on the transmitter once. To confirm that doors have locked, press LOCK button again, within five seconds of the first depression. This will beep the horn (13832), flash the parking lamps and lock all doors again. To activate the personal security alarm, press the red PANIC button. The horn will beep and parking lamps (13201) will flash for a maximum of two minutes, forty-five seconds. To deactivate the personal security alarm, press the red PANIC button again or turn the ignition switch (11572) ON. Note: The remote entry receiver module erases all previous transmitters from memory when the transmitters are programmed or reprogrammed. The remote entry receiver module can store up to four transmitters in memory. To program (or reprogram) transmitter(s) into the remote entry receiver module, perform the following steps: 1. Turn key to the ON or ON/ACCESSORY position and momentarily short the two terminals of the program connector (C4) (a two-pin connector taped to the wire assembly connected to the remote entry receiver module, approximately 6 inches from the remote entry receiver module). All doors should lock then unlock. Remove shorting pin. 2. Press any button on transmitter. All doors should lock then unlock to verify that the transmitter has been programmed. If door locks do not respond, press button again (up to three times maximum with the same transmitter). 3. Repeat Step 2 to program additional transmitters into the remote entry receiver module (up to four transmitters maximum). 4. Key off. All doors should lock then unlock. 5. Check operation..."
Source: by Ford via miesk5

More Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) LINKs in my site @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=124
a side note the large number number ontop of the box is the code for the keypad option on the drivers side door, atleast for the 97+ f-series/expiditions it is

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
miesk5 thanks so much brother! First thing - I need to see if I even HAVE that module installed. Is it a factory standard item for a 1995?? At some point today, I'll shove my head up under the dash and take a look. The weird thing is, I got the fobs off Amazon and they advertised to work with my Bronco too (after some research).

Thanks a ton! I'll report back ASAP.

·
Registered
9,935 Posts
miesk5 thanks so much brother! First thing - I need to see if I even HAVE that module installed. Is it a factory standard item for a 1995?? At some point today, I'll shove my head up under the dash and take a look. The weird thing is, I got the fobs off Amazon and they advertised to work with my Bronco too (after some research).

Thanks a ton! I'll report back ASAP.

I bet you have the module. I dont think it would have the programming connector if it didn't.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bet you have the module. I dont think it would have the programming connector if it didn't.
You're right - it's there. Awesome!! Just ordered THE CORRECT remote from Amazon, should be here Wed. next week. Once it does, I'll post back on my status then.

Thanks so much fellas - I [email protected]$!N LOVE THIS FORUM!!:rockon:thumbup

·
Super Moderator
26,992 Posts
You're right - it's there. Awesome!! Just ordered THE CORRECT remote from Amazon, should be here Wed. next week. Once it does, I'll post back on my status then.

Thanks so much fellas - I [email protected]$!N LOVE THIS FORUM!!:rockon:thumbup
yo SF,
YW

re; "... [email protected]$!N LOVE THIS FORUM!!:"
So do I...!!!

It's better than aaa.. aaa... GIANTs Loss!
:thumbup

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just to add to this thread, I picked up 3 more free type "3" remotes from the scrap yard today. They had no type 2's.

Key on, jumped the pins as described, and hit the lock button on all 4 remotes I had lined up on the tunnel within 5 seconds. All 4 activated immediately and I now have 4 fully functional remotes instead of one.
No more getting locked out by the dog. :thumbup

Type 3 are shown in the pics above.

·
Registered
176 Posts
FYI, the keyfob usually wont work if the truck is running. Theres a wire at the module you have to cut I believe to be able to unlock when running

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just got my 96 last weekend, just figured it didn't have keyless becouse p.o. didn't give me any remote. Thanks to you guys I checked and there it was! Remotes ordered. Thanks for the post!

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
107 Posts
So I picked up a few key fobs for my wife's 1998 Expedition and following the website on how to code them, I came across directions to sync up a key fob to a 1995 Bronco, which I have. I've owned the truck since '05 and never had a keyless entry remote, nor alarm system on it. The prev. owner never mentioned it either. So I said WTH, I'll try it out:

1. Turn key to "On" position
2. Jump the two pin connectors just below the center dash, above the accelerator pedal, in the gray harness not connected to anything
3. The doors will lock and unlock activating key fob sequence
4. Press the lock button on new key fob (doors "should" lock)
5. Turn key back to off position.

Well, I went through the sequence to step 4 (hearing step 3 actually work made me excited) and the new fob I have did nothing when I pressed the lock button. So I think I've come to the conclusion that my Bronco really doesn't have keyless entry/factory alarm....

Or do I???:whiteflag
I just used this! My remotes haven't worked I several months. I was going to replace the module but thanks to this feed I've fixed it in about 5 mins and saved $50. Thx.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
222 Posts
Woot woot! I have the KRE module on my '94! I just ordered 2 fobs from ebay for 17 bones. I will keep ya posted.

·
Super Moderator
26,992 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
yo a1965gt & RngTrl,

FYI, 94 Bronco-Econoline-F-Series Workshop Manual by Ford
https://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WSRM/~MUS~LEN/21/SRMLEFT.HTM

See Section 01-14B:
Door Lock Control System, Electronic
https://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WSRM/~MUS~LEN/25/SRMS1EBL.HTM
I read section 01-14B and it is not perfectly clear whether or one is to leave to jumper between programming pins on the wiring harness until the programming of the remote is finished, or if you just needed to momentarily short the pins out. Anyone know for sure? thanks for all the info Miesk5!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I got my remotes in yesterday and it took 30 seconds to program them! :) grand total was 17 bones for two. Very stoked. Thanks to the forum once again for saving me some loot.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts