Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Ford Bronco XLT 5.8l
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where I can find a set of the factory side steps? I’ve tried looking online but I can’t seem to find em. Not sure if anyone makes them or if I’m stuck looking for a set in the junkyard.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
1995 5.8, 2.5" Rough Country Lift, Extended RA's, 4.10's, 33" BFG's
6,137 Posts
You just have to look around for them, Ebay maybe. The are hard to find and not cheap

Reactions: m_martin53

·
I did done broke it
2,423 Posts
You just have to look around for them, Ebay maybe. The are hard to find and not cheap
They're also pretty crappy functionality wise as well. But if you're going for the true E.B. look thats what you're stuck doing

·
Super Moderator
29,813 Posts
Yo m_martin53,
As Slash32 advised "I have the exact set in your picture sitting in my garage."
&
Rust has a party because factory bracket is made of thin-walled tubing, it collects water & mud, and rusts out. It's also very susceptible to damage.

94-96 Bronco Side Step, according to Ford in
Section 01-08: Trim, Exterior1996 F-150, F-250, F-350, F-Super Duty and Bronco Workshop Manual
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
Step, Cab, F-150, F-250, F-350, Bronco
Removal

1. Remove the cab step mat from the step.
  2. Remove step-to-body frame bolts.
  3. Remove the cab step bracket-to-frame bolts.
  4. Remove the step and bracket assembly from the vehicle. The step can now be removed from the bracket by removing the stud nuts.
  5. If the cab step front fender brackets are damaged, they can be removed for replacement by removing the bracket bolts. Refer to the following illustration;
View attachment 158991
Installation
  1. Follow removal procedures in reverse order.
  2. Tighten all step bracket-to-frame bolts to 20-28 Nm (15-21 lb-ft) and step-to-frame bolts to 8-11 Nm (71-97 lb-in). Tighten front fender bracket bolts to 8-11 Nm (71-97 lb-in).

Cab Step Installation

View attachment 158990
    ItemPart NumberDescription
    1N605905-S55Bolt
    2N605891-S55Bolt
    316A470Cab Step
    4N620481-S55Nut
    5Cab Step Bracket (Part of 16A506)
    6N605909-S55Bolt
    716C078Front Fender Mounting Rear Bracket
    ATighten to 20-28 Nm
    (15-21 Lb-Ft)
    BTighten to 8-11 Nm
    (71-97 Lb-In)

□•□
In ATTACHED diagram; Cab Step Parts Break-Out Diagram w/nomenclature in 94-96 Bronco & F Series; "...The factory bracket is made of thin-walled tubing, so it collects water & mud, and rusts out. It's also very susceptible to damage. The factory bracket #5 without anything attached weighs ~5lbs; mine weighs 11-18lbs, depending on the thickness of material I use..."by Steve
94-96 F-series & Bronco Cab Steps (Running Boards F1TZ16450AK) (Original kit: F3TZ-16450-L)
ERROR: The L bracket #7 in the Bronco inset (for the quarter panel) is NOT the same PN as the front one (also marked #7). The (Bronco only) rear bracket (F4TZ16488A) has 2 anti-spin tabs; the front (F2T316C078AB) has only 1. The same bracket is used (in each case) for Left & Right.

NOT CALLED OUT: foam self-adhesive weatherstrip (F2TZ16536B) on top edge of step (#3)

Installation & Alignment:
1) Install the step assembly (#3) onto the bracket (#5) using 2 nuts (#4, 13mm hex)
2) Install bracket (#7, x2 for Bronco) loosely
3) Position the step & bracket below the body; install 4 rocker bolts (#1, 10mm hex) loosely
4) Install 2 inboard bolts (#6, 10mm hex) loosely
5) Raise step so its top edge contacts the bottom lip of the rocker/fender/quarter; align the front curve of the step with the front wheel arch; tighten 4 rocker bolts
6) Push the step inboard so its outboard edge aligns with the lowest body line; tighten 2 inboard bolts
7) Install 2 tab bolts (#2, 8mm hex) and bracket screw (#8, 5.5mm hex, x2 for Bronco) and tighten

The factory bracket is made of thin-walled tubing, so it collects water & mud, and rusts out. It's also very susceptible to damage. The factory bracket #5 without anything attached weighs ~5lbs; I'm not sure how much the $500 reproduction version weighs (but it won't work if your steps' long studs are rusted off); mine weighs 13.5 lbs.

See also:
. .
by Steve
___
TSB 95-08-06 RUNNING BOARDS - INCORRECTLY INSTALLED -NOISE VIBRATION HARSHNESS CONCERNS
Publication Date: APRIL 24, 1995 (This TSB is being republished in its entirety to include vehicles through the 1995 model year.)

LIGHT TRUCK:
1987-90 BRONCO II
1987-95 BRONCO, ECONOLINE, F-150-350 SERIES, RANGER
1988-95 F SUPER DUTY
1991-95 EXPLORER
ISSUE: Running boards which are incorrectly installed may result in noise/vibration complaints.
ACTION: Install running boards to either the body OR the frame; NEVER to both unless the mounting system uses isolated mounts. A manufacturer's instruction to attach running boards to both body and frame should be immediately questioned because such action provides a direct path from chassis to body for road vibration and noise.

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE
SUPERSEDES: 91-04-11
WARRANTY STATUS: INFORMATION ONLY
OASIS CODES: 108000, 702000, 703000"
By Ford via Steve
See more @ http://web.archive.org/web/20130914203134/http://www.supermotors.net/registry/2742/

Cab Step Bracket Refurbishment in a 96
Source: by bossind (boss, Steve)

View attachment 149511
by Ford via Steve
One of our Vendors , Jeff's Bronco Graveyard, a.k.a. "The Graveyard," has the "improved" brackets @ Ford Bronco & F-Series Truck Running Board Support Bars-Broncograveyard.com

For a YARD SEARCH on-line, I use;
Hollander Quality Replacement Parts | Find Used Auto Parts | Online Locator
A yard that uses Hollander Interchange can search other yards and have it shipped including some Canadian yards.
"...For over eighty years, Hollander has been making the best tool for fast, interchangeable part matches. The new Edition Hollander Interchange contains more interchangeable options than ever before.
The Hollander Interchange provides auto recyclers and auto collectors, rebuilders, and others with the easiest and most comprehensive solution for identifying interchangeable auto parts..." See their yard Directory @: Seller Directory | Used Auto Parts | Hollanderparts
Can select a certain part. I just searched for 1996 Ford Bronco (Full Size) Running Boards, but none shown for running boarrds or the cab step version, most likely due to the devastating bracket rust.
¤
or
Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market
Can select certain parts and can search by year range, such as 92 through 96 & has best item condition descriptions
Has Vehicle Pics for some vehicles incl. interior/dash, back seat, front & rear and engine bay
I just searched for 1994 - 1996 Ford Bronco (Full Size) "Running Boards", but none shown for the cab step version.

·
Registered
76 Posts
PM me if your interested as we don’t have the required posts to buy/sell on the forum.

Reactions: m_martin53

·
Super Moderator
29,813 Posts
PM me if your interested as we don’t have the required posts to buy/sell on the forum.
SLASH,
To post in Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories requires 50 non-padded posts to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members.

Al

·
Registered
76 Posts
SLASH,
To post in Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories requires 50 non-padded posts to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members.

Al
Ah, my bad…thought I had seen it was 75.

Reactions: miesk5

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I’m going to check junkyards and see if I can find steps. The factory brackets being rusted and weak doesn’t bother me. If I can find some for cheap I can fab my own tube mounts.

·
Premium Member
1995 5.8, 2.5" Rough Country Lift, Extended RA's, 4.10's, 33" BFG's
6,137 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. I’m going to check junkyards and see if I can find steps. The factory brackets being rusted and weak doesn’t bother me. If I can find some for cheap I can fab my own tube mounts.
Those steps usually get destroyed by forklifts in the junkyards. I have two sets of the mounting brackets if you ever need any, too expensive to ship but I see you are also in CA

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those steps usually get destroyed by forklifts in the junkyards. I have two sets of the mounting brackets if you ever need any, too expensive to ship but I see you are also in CA
Awesome man thank you I’ll keep that in mind.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
ive got set of lund steps that look almost like them if you want something that looks close. was on a truck when i bought it and i took them off. been in storage for about 20 years.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ive got set of lund steps that look almost like them if you want something that looks close. was on a truck when i bought it and i took them off. been in storage for about 20 years.
Thanks, but I think I’m going to wait on the steps. For a while at least. I decided to do a new carpet kit and while the carpets out do body mounts and insulation. And shell seals…and headliners. So after I get all that done I’ll be more ready for steps.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Thanks, but I think I’m going to wait on the steps. For a while at least. I decided to do a new carpet kit and while the carpets out do body mounts and insulation. And shell seals…and headliners. So after I get all that done I’ll be more ready for steps.
well if you or anyone wants em id sell em pretty cheap they arent made anymore. they look almost exactly the same for anyone that does.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Any chance you can send me pictures?
They are dirty in this picture but no rust to brackets, Seattle area it’s whole life. Have every bolt and complete

1 - 20 of 22 Posts