Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here we go. short and sweet. i have a gauge cluster from a 93 sitting in my garage with the factory tachometer that came from a 351. my truck is a 96 and has the 300 i-6 and has no tach. if i swap my mileage cluster into the new one and plug it in, will everything work. or is there something different between the years. i vaguely remember there being a reason that it would not work but i searched and could not find why. any thoughts? advice?

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,220 Posts
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109718&highlight=tach

Just make sure the "8" isn't grounded out on your tach. If you're using the stock printed circuit from your 6 cylinder it shouldn't have the 8 grounded out on the tach. I assume that there's no difference between the 4.9L printed boards that do and do not have tachs.

I still haven't got mine working yet though, but I'm nearly positive it's because the tach is dead.

·
green ones make me horny
11,458 Posts
from what i have read it will work with some rewiring. this is according to steve83. i just got one from a 94 and used it no problems

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Look at the back of the new cluster, track pin "8" on the tach back to the connector. Pull your cluster, look at the connector. If the pin that lines up with "8" has a wire, cut it. If it doesn't have a wire, put your new cluster in and call it good.

Justin

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you.

steve, if nothing else you have given me a new smiley face to use. thats good enough for me. i debated posting even when i searched and didnt find what i needed.

i'll post up soon with results

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
my story is a little different but I had an 84 with a 300 that had no tach, and I took the cluster out of a 85 with 351, just plugged it in and the tach worked fine.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Yes, it shoud be a plug in and go, but i'd just check for the wire anyway so as not to have to pull it all apart again. The wire should only be there if the truck was originally an 8, and if the truck was originally a 6 it shouldn't have the wire.

I had to cut the wire to get the tach in my truck to work since it was a 302 to 300 swap.

Justin

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes the truck that i pulled the cluster from had a v8 in it. im about to open it up right now. so go in there and cut the v8 wire and it will read the i-6 signal? is that what im hearing right?

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
My guess would just be old. These factory tachs are known for being jumpy.

I wonder if you pulled it apart and put some graphite on the shaft if it might not free it up.

Justin

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
bash it into submission. If you don't know what RPM you're turning by just listening to the engine, you don't need to be driving :goodfinge

Obviously, I don't know jack about how to fix your problem.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
bash it into submission. If you don't know what RPM you're turning by just listening to the engine, you don't need to be driving :goodfinge
I like having a tach on a 300, just so I can prove to people that when it sounds like it's about to send a rod through the block it's only turning 3,000 RPM :goodfinge

Justin

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Obviously, I don't know jack about how to fix your problem.
i also have a tach from a diesel, but it only reads 1k when my motor is at 3.5k

yeah i just want it though, and since i had all the parts just laying around i figured why the hell not

·
Chrome gets me home
2,963 Posts
because you work on this stupid sh*t instead of getting it driving:smilie_slap.:goodfinge
:histerica :histerica :histerica

this gave me a good laugh...thank you travis and will for entertaining me, oh btw will i have a new PSOM/speedo being sent to me as we speak...i dunno the mileage so im gonna rig the 12v to see before we take it all apart again...and yes i said WE...lol:goodfinge

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.