Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so my tach hasn't worked since I got the truck. I want it working, so I went digging on the internet and in my Chilton manual, and got closer, but what I'm really stuck on is that I don't know where to hook up the wires in the back of the tach. There's 4 points, so I'm guessing ground, power, ignition signal, and '?' but where do I hook each of them up? It would be nice if I didn't have to remove the entire cluster, so if someone happens to know where each goes, that would be great. Thanks!

Sorry for the crappy pic, I stuck my camera behind my dash from the right side and took it.

·
Registered
777 Posts
that blue thing you see in the picture is a printed wire run. Your tach is hooked up. You will have to pull the instrument cluster, and inspect that wire run. I've found some corrosion and broken wires on mine, and was lucky enough to find another one for cheap.

I haven't been able to locate another tach for mine, and LMC truck shows every other gauge except the tach.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve, but my wiring diagrams actually don't show the tach wiring, just shows the wire that goes to the tach. So I see what you're saying about the wired board, but I don't remember any wires coming out around it either. I'll look again, but if that's not the problem, then what could it be?

Edit: I will look at the board for corrosion, etc. too.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have a couple of extra tachs lying around if you need one. And, I know where a couple more are.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, thanks a lot Steve.

Edit: Uncle.Stosh, thanks for the offer, I'll let you know if I want to replace it or just go with an aftermarket one.

·
Registered
777 Posts
You're not looking in the right book. Get a HAYNES. :dealIt's not a board - it's a film circuit. Only the '92-96 PSOM & the '87-89 IMS/EUL have PC boards. Almost all of the film circuits' traces go to the 2 connectors in the back of the cluster.Most likely a dead tach. The pre-'87 tach wasn't very robust, and there aren't many working ones left. When mine dies again (and it's getting CLOSE), I'm going to try to put the guts of an '87-96 tach into its case. Electrically, they're equivalent.Polish the film circuit contacts & the mating cluster connector terminals with brown paper or a pink eraser.
hmm, that would explain my two dead tachs

My Haynes doesn't cover the wire film for the 81-83 broncos.

But from my digging, you will be looking at pin 2 ground, pin 13 power pin 12 run power and pin 11 coil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts