Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I took my recently purchased 1991 Bronco 5.8L to emissions.. I failed the C02 miserably.. The max standard is 25.00 and I had a 97.50.. Any suggestions? I’m thinking it needs new catalytic converters and a now O2 sensor..

Arizona Emission test results

Hydrocarbons (HC) in Grams/mile - (My Result)3.20 (Max)3.00 FAIL
Carbon Monoxide (CO) in Grams/mile - (My Result)97.35 (Max)25.00 FAIL

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
it is running too rich, do a complete tune up including changing the engine oil.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Read the thread by FSB member Sixlitre - I done failed my smog test (tears) typed in the "search" browser and you'll be amazed with the info and "results" you can attain if you follow it to the letter. I've used it twice, 2009 and 2011 and PASSED both smog tests at a TEST ONLY facility with flying colors, even with down the timing backed down they didn't notice or understand how touse a timing light.

Pay special attention to the use of 91% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol mixed in with the gas, a prescribed formula just prior to testing .......works like a charm.....:rockon

Most importantly when asked ANY questions by Smog Tech's regarding your vehicle....PLAY DUMB, I DON'T KNOW, I DON'T WORK ON THE VEHICLE ETC. ETC. ......SAVVY?

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

Thanks alaskan155...I'm a slow typer....lol lol

·
Biebs Ain't BabyDaddy!
11,159 Posts
I guess in California you have to worry about a grand inquisition from the inspection guy. I've never dealt with any questions in NC. They just roll it in and roll it out.

·
Registered
457 Posts
i think rather then a emissions test, it should be a safety inspection. to make sure that you have a functioning seat, at least one mirror, a windshield, and a lap belt. anything more then that, great :thumbup

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
These older vehicles take awhile to warm up the cat to burn off the ****, and the guys know it. I almost failed my late model car because they let it sit for ten minutes before testing it. They just want us to keep going back to test only stations, or buy the new junk rolling out of the factory doors that most of us can't afford.

·
Registered
561 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
I tried that "Guaranteed to Pass additive" and I thought it was worthless AND they didn't give me a full refund when I failed the smog test as advertised so I'm staying with 91% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol and continue to PASS 100% everytime.

I agree that :iiss Kaliforina is most definately the worst liberal, feminenazi, "smognazibastard" state in the union...:rofl:...lol lol.....where it's all about revenue to the state because they're financial broke...you can't tell that all the cars pre 1976 which are exempt now are burning any cleaner then our Broncos....:iiss...it's BS but until they change/exempt ours we're stuck doing it........ROYALE PITA...

·
Registered
263 Posts
I tried that "Guaranteed to Pass additive" and I thought it was worthless AND they didn't give me a full refund when I failed the smog test as advertised so I'mstaying with 91% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol and continue to PASS 100% everytime.

I agree that :iiss Kaliforina is most definately the worst liberal, feminenazi, "smognazibastard" state in the union...:rofl:...lol lol.....where it's all about revenue to the state because they're financial broke...you can't tell that all the cars pre 1976 which are exempt now are burning any cleaner then our Broncos....:iiss...it's BS but until they change/exempt ours we're stuck doing it........ROYALE PITA...

What makes California so pathetic, is that Forbes just released a list of the 20 most polluted cities in the country and California had 7 of the top 10, and 5 of the top 6. So, a state that has been in the leading edge of pollution control for over 30 years, can't get past it's own bureaucracy and fix the problem.:smilie_slap

In stead of making it easier to use newer and improved parts to make things better, they force you to use 30 year old technology that came on the vehicle when it was new in the 80's.:banghead

·
I'd rather be sleeping
665 Posts
it is running too rich, do a complete tune up including changing the engine oil.

This is the only answer. Well, a lot of alcohol in the gas tank, too.
I got my '90 5.0L to pass emissions with hollowed out cats (didn't know until months later). Nothing more than a tune up with an oil change and a LOT of Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol mixed in with the gas.

·
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!
6,250 Posts
What makes California so pathetic, is that Forbes just released a list of the 20 most polluted cities in the country and California had 7 of the top 10, and 5 of the top 6. So, a state that has been in the leading edge of pollution control for over 30 years, can't get past it's own bureaucracy and fix the problem.:smilie_slap

In stead of making it easier to use newer and improved parts to make things better, they force you to use 30 year old technology that came on the vehicle when it was new in the 80's.:banghead
Maybe thats why they are tougher here then anywhere else... :twak You don't like it, move. Thats what I tell all the cali bashers that live here.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Snow Tom, you hit the nail right on the head Brother!...lol lol

monolith: that's not quite accurate and if you read that smog thread entirely you'd know the prescribed formula using 91% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol is 2 x 32 oz. bottles = 64 oz. or 1/2 gallon rubbing alcohol to 1/4 tank of gasoline, alcohol costing $5-6.00 max in any supermarket or drug store. We determined from an FSB member in OC who's family owns a used car lot this is what they do and somehow we hit on those numbers because I was the initial lab rat on this for my 2009 smog test and IT WORKS 100%.

fartman: it's not about Cali bashing Brother but more about politicians and bureaucracy bashing with failure to manage one of the largest states financially but in the end we all pay for their incompetence, I've lived here for over 36 years and it's not right, especially when it comes to paying education and medical bills for illegal imagrants and their children....

·
Super Moderator
5,030 Posts
My '81 Bronco with a 300 passes emissions with flying colors every time. This is with an aftermarket 4bbl Holley carburetor, all the engine mounted emissions equipment removed, and no tricks or gimmicks. The only thing it has is a catalytic converter.

A well tuned vehicle should have no trouble passing. The nice thing about an emissions test is it can tell you if your vehicle has other problems. If it's failing because it's rich, you know it's probably using more gas than it should, etc.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
That's all well and good BUT even after I swapped in a newly assembled stock 302 EFI long block all dialed in which had maybe 5K miles on it at the time of smog testing it still failed, barely but failed, tune up and all etc. etc. etc. so no matter where you live if smog tests are mandatory you've got to do what it takes to PASS, get current registration and tags....this works for me!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone... I am hooking up the fog machine tomorrow to see if I have an vaccumm leaks I haven't found and will be running some 91% through it this week also.. Than back to test

1 - 18 of 18 Posts