Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
In The Matrix
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my limit is 20.00, I read 48.7361. :rofl:

So I talked to one mechanic, said he did a tune up with fuel enjection cleaning on one car and lowered it by 15.000. He also recommended that I get the engine nice and hot, I went in and tested from about 38* outside, and the engine had only been running for about 15 minutes.

I had my plugs, wires, cap all changed within the last 20,000 miles. Oil has about 500 miles on it.

Any sensors that might cause this? Any other advice?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Mustang guys will actually unplug wires before going in...that way it only runs on a few cylinder, therefore lower smog etc...

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
50Gunner said:
Mustang guys will actually unplug wires before going in...that way it only runs on a few cylinder, therefore lower smog etc...
that sounds like a cool trick but just curious, wouldn't that cause the check engine light to come on from the misfiring? I know in california if the engine light is on it's an automatic failure. I don't know about other states.

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
50Gunner said:
It will run very crappy, and raw gas will be pushed through the exhaust. Not my idea of a great smog check.

·
Registered
656 Posts
actually that might work if you unplugged the injectors from say 2 cyls, then it woule be pushing air with the 2 dead cyls, and making less PPM of smog.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Greenmustanggt said:
actually that might work if you unplugged the injectors from say 2 cyls, then it woule be pushing air with the 2 dead cyls, and making less PPM of smog.
The trick is to unplug the injector at one cylinder. Do that and you have....an instang smog pump in addition to the OEM pump. If you are running rich or have high NOx, a little extra Oxygen to the catalyst can do wonders for emissions.

High CO means you are probably running rich. Could be leaky injectors, faulty Oxygen sensors, EGR issues, Timing problems, etc..... You need to do an EEC test to see what is wrong, since you have already covered the basics. If your injectors are gummed up (they probably are), then you will dribble small amounts of fuel in at low load and engine speed. A flush may help, but if the injectors are scuffed or damaged then you will need new ones.

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
This doesnt work. The O2 sensors will see the fresh air and register a lean reading which the computer will compensate for, making all the others run rich....and crappy.

The air pump analogy is good but if you'll notice the air pump injects air downstream of the O2 sensor.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
Neither unpluging a plug wire or unpluging an injector will lower emmisions :twak
Infact doing either will hurt emissions.

Check for codes, you probably have some.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
turning down the timing back to the factory setting or a little lower will also help get through inspection (as long as the truck is running pretty clean and not heavily modified), as many Mustang guys do this trick...

I've never heard of anyone unplugging injectors and such, I don't see how that would work...

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Try and run it longer before you go in. Supposedly that helps lower emissions.

I'm glad I don't have to worry about smog here, with not having any cats.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts