Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is another thread in passing CA smog. :banghead I'm not one for blind replacements and I'm very carful what I change. So here is what I'm at first:

If your going to fail, at least do a good job at it! :goodfinge

First background: Origanl cat, passed two years ago, no CEL, engine seems to be running like a champ, only difference is is 4.10 gears compared to the 3.55 with roughly 33" AT tires.

Pulled codes, lots of old lot term memory and some running. Clear the long term since it's been years and I was only persisting errors (since I've done other repairs like TFI module).

Here is what I have done since then: Ignition tune up, new air filter (was pretty dirty). Pulled codes: 32, 44. Tested the EGR valve with a hand pump, and replaced the sensor. Replaced oxygen sensor for the 44. 32 error is now a 33 and 44 is persisting. I believe I can work out the 33. I'm going to test the wiring first and then double check the valve is seating and the sensor is working.

The 44 code has me. I'm not sure what actually throws that error? The pump is passive, nothing electric. What condition actually tells the computer it needs to throw that? I replaced the oxygen sensor hoping it was down the pipe having trouble adjusting the air entering the cat.

So what am I missing? I tried drinking allot of beers, but that didn't help either… :beer

·
Registered
36 Posts
The co2 percentage shows you how well the cat is working the cat basicaly takes hc hyrocarbons co carbon monoxide and nox gasses and converts them to co2. Now idealy 14 percent is perfect but heres the catch, it can also mean that the cat is working overtime to try and help cut down emmitting the bad gasses. Ok so if youve done the tune up o2 sensor and taking care of the codes id say check the thermo and temp sensor. stuck in cold loop? that will make emmissions horrible. Try runing a shot of chevron with techron super concentrate plus that may help a tiny bit also take a look at your fuel pressure hows your pump? filter been changed yet? regulaters ok? Now you said you checked the egr valve but did you check for signal? is the egr solenoid working? and it looks like your timing is at 10 btdc try and set it at 7 or 8 you get a 3 degree grace on timing retarded or advanced for the smog check if that doesn't help try 11 or 12 deg btdc well off the top of my head as a ase certified smog technitions thats all i can think of..Well good luck and let me know if it helps any!! btw always do the new cat as a absoluthe last resort!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Resolved the codes: two fold issue: vacuum hoses melted together (replacing allowed the air diverter to open and cleared the 44. Egr selinoid was failing to open and send air to egr, new selinoid resolved that 33. Need to run a couple of tanks through it now but should be ready to resmog next.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Failed again.

This time she failed on high HC (161 at 15mph and 121 at 25mph). She was totally warmed up and ready to rock, had driven her a bunch before and they tech held the peddle down for a few minutes as well.

Right after I pulled codes within mins and got 32 again koeo. No codes koer and the 32 code did not throw again. Something is funky there. HC from I under stand is unburnt fuel. I believe I'm going to look at the ignition again and check the gapping as well. Las but not least I think my brake booster might be leaking vacuum a little so I might look into replacing or capping that till I replace it.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
post a picture like you did on the first one.

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
question. your bringing it in to smog with 33s? aren't you running at least 37s normally?

so you cleared codes and 32 hasn't come back up since?

I'd really look more into your cat than anything at else at this point. but could be a spark plug simply fowling as well. when was your last 6L tune?

·
Super Moderator
27,007 Posts
yo,
From the Ford PCED:

Quote:
DN110 CONTINUOUS MEMORY DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) 332: CHECK EGR VALVE FUNCTION

Continuous Memory DTC 332 indicates the EGR valve did not open with the engine stabilized and the EVR solenoid duty cycle present sometime during vehicle operation.

Possible causes:
Obstructed or cracked hose to EGR valve.
Icing.
Damaged EGR valve.
Damaged EVR solenoid harness.

The highlighted items are what you should be checking. Screw the carburetor cleaner; those vacuum lines are so small, you're never going to notice an idle difference, especially since the lines are effectively isolated at idle anyway (no vacuum applied to EGR at idle, rememeber). Take the looming off the vacuum harness, and feel/look the entire length of the vacuum lines, from manifold to reservoir, to EVR, to EGR valve. If there's not a leak somewhere, I'd be surprised, and in which case, there's probably a wiring or connector problem.
by Ford via SigEpBlue (Steve) at
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129966

READ MORE

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
question. your bringing it in to smog with 33s? aren't you running at least 37s normally?

so you cleared codes and 32 hasn't come back up since?

I'd really look more into your cat than anything at else at this point. but could be a spark plug simply fowling as well. when was your last 6L tune?
I'm smoging with my 33" ATs, I don't own 37" tires, I just wheel harder then those that do… :goodfinge

The EGR valve is fine, has anyone actually had one fail or just replaced it without testing? Hand pump - moves and does not leak and the 32 is thrown KOEO. But only at random, usually after driving.

That said, the more I think about it, HCs are not going to be caused by the EGR anyways unless it was stuck open. I need to check that the smog pump air diverter is send fresh air during combustion.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a similiar issue. I threw a lot of time, money and frustration at it. Ended up being that the O2 sensor ground wire had been unbolted by the PO and not reconnected. I didnt see it until I took the upper plenum off to replace fuel injectors. Reconnected the ground and she passed no issues. I got the Bronc for cheap from him because he couldnt figure it out either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts