Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fall color run, Larimer county - White Pine Mt

Well, I haven't had the rig out for another shakedown run yet, but what the hell, let's do this. Sept 20, hopefully the Aspens will be changing by then. Every year I get a few rigs together to do a loop of local trails. West White Pine Mt, Monument Gulch, and Old Flowers Road. It's an all day trip and all easy drives. There are some light rocks on White Pine and a little mud sometimes on Monument Gulch and Flowers. Enough to get dirty, but generally not enough to get stuck.

The route is through Masonville and up Buckhorn Canyon. White Pine is an in-and-out drive of about four miles one way, up the Buckhorn another mile or so to Monument. Monument is about 4 miles and ends right at the Old Flowers trail head. Flowers is about 15 miles back to Stove Prairie. From Stove Prairie you can get back to town through Rist Canyon to Ft. Collins or back down the Buckhorn to Ft. Collins or Loveland.

We meet at JJ's gas station on Taft Hill in Ft. Collins. Leave time is 9:00. JJ's has gas at a good price and a general store (pop, sandwiches, snacks, etc.) It's easy to find JJ's, but since they relaid out the roads in that area I can never remember what the cross street is. Google JJ's Country Corner in Ft. Collins for a map.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
I think I can do that. What's weird is that I swear I've been in the mountain states section posting numerous times and this was not here. Yet it says you posted at 7:23am????

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Yeah, I saw a couple wierd things this morning, too. One of my posts in the Jenny Creek thread evaporated right after I hit submit. Strange.

Are there any writeups on any of the trails you mention Larry?

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
If any of those can be run in 2wd I would be more than likely to go. Would give the girlfriend a nice chance to get some good pictures.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If any of those can be run in 2wd I would be more than likely to go. Would give the girlfriend a nice chance to get some good pictures.
Each trail has at least a small section that *might* require 4x4. Monument Gulch is the least likely to be muddy, it dries out pretty thoroughly this time of year. Monument is essentially a cutoff trail to bypass the longer route over Pennock Pass to get to Flowers Road. There's actually a pretty good sized housing development on the northern end of the road near Pingree Park road.

I don't think I'd recommend anyone with a stockish rig attempt White Pine in 2WD on their first trip. I think it could be done, but I think the decision should be up to the driver after they've seen the trail at least once.

Buckhorn Canyon up over Pennock Pass has some real good color. It can be a great 2WD trip. That'll take you to Pingree Park and back to Poudre Canyon a couple miles downstream from Rustic. Another great 2WD road on the way to the Poudre from Pingree Park is Crown Point which gains a lot of altitude and looks over the upper Poudre around Kinnikkinnik and Elephant Rock.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
I think they're all in Chuck Wells' northern Colorado book.

Here's a couple more:
West White Pine Mt
Old Flowers Road

Hmmm, that gas station, JJ's shows 4015 S taft hill rd., so it's a ways south of the 14west we need to be going out on??

Or are you planning on going out horsetooth, and then Masonville, and then North on Buckhorn/Stove Prairie?

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmm, that gas station, JJ's shows 4015 S taft hill rd., so it's a ways south of the 14west we need to be going out on??

Or are you planning on going out horsetooth, and then Masonville, and then North on Buckhorn/Stove Prairie?
We won't go anywhere near Poudre Canyon. Stove Prairie is where we'll come out on Flowers. Bring a Roosevelt NF map and I can show you where all the better Larimer county trails are so you'll know how to get around here without getting too distracted by online information.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For those trying to track this trip on maps, the roads are:
White Pine FR100
Monument Gulch FR135
Old Flowers Road FR152
Buckhorn Canyon FR44H
I don't have the Stove Prairie road designation at hand, but it's a paved road and easy to find on the map relative to the others.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Stove Prarie is the 27. I've got the trail loop mapped out. Since you mention not being near Padre Canyon (which is 14), I assume then that we will be going through masonville after we leave JJ's.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Larry, looks like I'm being overuled on this run. having just done a run and gotten it all cleaned, I've got "shopping" to do this coming saturday since I've blown it off the last 2 sats. It's still under discussion, so we'll see at this point.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, the CJ survived with just a few remaining issues that have dropped to the annoyance level more than show stoppers, so the trip is on. I'll get a final headcount about wednesday or thursday. I y'all can't make this one, I'm going to try to pull another one together in February or March for Sevenmile. Five river crossings, two to three feet of snow, ice on a large part of the trail, and an optional hillclimb that'll stop all but the best :smokin:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.